How do you come to a stop in a manual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loganss
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Knew I could count on you guys to clear this up.

Glad I wasn't doing something stupid.

But those backseat drivers were so damn annoying.
    backseat drivers = teh suck. my mother is the worst, she can backseat drive from another vehicle.

Comment

it all depends on how Im driving...If I am just cruising around town or driving to the store or whatever, I just shift into neutral and hit the brakes.....

If I am autox'ing or some sort of competitive racing, I rev-match then downshift to keep my brakes from getting to hot. Only use the brakes when needed...
      Eat ****.

Comment

I usually just throw it in neutral and hit the brakes. In NH, it is illegal to sit at a red light with the car in neutral. Its habit for me to do that....its how I was taught to drive. It puts double the wear on the throwout bearing if you keep the clutch depressed when you don't have to. When I was taking my driver's test to get my liscense, the guy from the DMV had to tell me three times to put the car in gear at the lights and stop signs.

Comment

Originally posted by lscrx
          I just keep it in whatever gear it's in while applying the brakes... and put the clutch after i've slowed. I only downshift if i'm anticipating the light to change... in which case I keep it in whatever gear will get me the most oomph for my RPM's so that I can squirt through the light if it does change

Same here
          1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
          1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
          2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
          1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

I also just keep it in gear then push in the clutch when I feel like it. If I feel that the light might change, I shift to whatever gear is necessary within the distance I have from my car to the light(or people in front of me) in relation to my speed. I don't let out the clutch though until I'm sure I'm not going to stop.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
            On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
            My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

If I know I'm going to a complete stop I pop it into neutral.

But if I'm just slowing for a hard corner, driving aggressively, or the light changed I move my heel over give the throttle a blip and downshift.
              And like pigeon said NEVER downshift to first.

94 Protege LX: HX-35, Megasquit, ect...
              98 Subaru Legacy GT-DD: 1 inch lift, and all the standard N/A stuff.

Comment

+1 for neutral then brakes...

Comment

Depends on the situation.
                  Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                  BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                  Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

I neutral up, then brake. If a light changes on me as I approach, I'll tap the throttle and choose an appropriate gear based on vehicle speed so the engine doesn't take a sudden beating when I gently let the clutch out.

Technically, they want you to down shift and let the clutch out in every gear working down until you get to low second, where you stop and slip it into first. I think the law wants the car to be in some gear at all times so that the driver has constant control in the case of an unexpected occurance. This is a similar reason to that of a race driver wanting the engine engaged as much as possible to allow proper throttle application smoothly wherever he is on the track. The thing is I don't race my car and I have the responsibility of maintaining my car so f^(k the law.

Common sense applies... I figure just drive defensively, space my car properly away from other cars, pay attention and it shouldn't realy matter how I do it. I don't like the idea of opposing my ****ty Z5 with the brakes when I can just use neutral.
                    1998 Mazda BHALP SE - Rain Forest Green Mica

Pacesetter short shifter ; Depo tails (thanks beetle_orange) ; Custom CAI nearing completion ; CF hood on the way ; Brembo blanks & KVR pads to be inst. (thanks Pigeon) ; Goodridge brake lines to be inst. ;

Much more to come...

Comment

Originally posted by midnightblue97
                      Depends on the situation.
                      It really does. After voting last night I really gave it some thought while I was driving today and I noticed that I change gears (rev-match first) only if I'm expecting the light to change to green. If I know I'm going to completely stop I usually shift one gear down and use the brakes to stop...

Comment

Well w/o reading everyting above:

I tend to do 1 of either of these 2 methods depending on circumstances.

1. Go to N, and use the brakes. If it is not an emergency, and I need to stop at my own pace, then I do this. When I am approaching a light really slow, then I will just do this. My whole point in stage 1 is that I rather burn more brake pads that add stress on my dum tranny.

2. I will go down the gear that is warranted due to the speed that I am driving. I tend to use this method in emergency situations, or when I was driving at a slightly high rate of speed(allegedly) . At this point I could give two ****s about my tranny or brakes becuase my main objective is to stop the car.

IMO, at the T/P/O the choice is really up to you on what you will do. You have to do what you feel is adequate to bring the car under control.
                        photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

I always downshift from any gear when slowing down (while applying brakes) until i reach the end of second where the rpms are around like...1000....then i just hold the clutch and glide to a stop.....my car doesnt like down shifting into first...and when it does u can hear the synchro go wrrrRRRR and then it pops in.....but the car either starts bucking if i try to speed up or im allready at like...5 mph so its pointless

to me first gear is for accelerating from a stop only....bumper to bumper isnt so bad though....
                          1991 Mazda protege DX (SOHC) 5spd
                          Short ram cold air
                          stock muffler back on
                          NGK plugs
                          14inch miata steelies w/toyo proxes p185/60r14 82H - back
                          13inch protege steelies w/toyo proxes S rated - front
                          stripped a/c

1993 saab 9000cse turbo 5/spd
                          Garrett TB-25, solenoid cut off at 17psi
                          Gutted cat w/borla muffler
                          Aero spec clutch (7k miles old)
                          Running 5w20 full synthetic...(241,***)
                          16inch Aero rims
                          Aero Moldings
                          Bridgestone Potenza 205/55VR16 91V - all 4

Comment

Originally posted by pigeon
                            i downshift and revmatch... but never to first
                            ever
                            Originally posted by lscrx
                            I just keep it in whatever gear it's in while applying the brakes... and put the clutch after i've slowed. I only downshift if i'm anticipating the light to change... in which case I keep it in whatever gear will get me the most oomph for my RPM's so that I can squirt through the light if it does change
                            also add that if are to come to a complete stop wait(in gear)until the rpm's drop to idle range(700-750). then hit the clutch.or if the light changes before you get to it find the right gear for the speed your doing.(revmatch) If you know how to properly use your trannie you can accualy shift without using your clutch. the only time you need your clutch is to start from 1st.I drive semis for a living and thats how i drive my big truck and my car. shifting without a clutch is tricky at first but once you get use to it you'll be able to float those gears right in without grindage.
                            Last edited by Turpro; 01-21-2006, 01:30 PM.
                            1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                            1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                            2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                            2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                            .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Originally posted by turpro
                              also add that if are to come to a complete stop wait(in gear)until the rpm's drop to idle range(700-750). then hit the clutch.or if the light changes before you get to it find the right gear for the speed your doing.(revmatch) If you know how to properly use your trannie you can accualy shift without using your clutch. the only time you need your clutch is to start from 1st.I drive semis for a living and thats how i drive my big truck and my car. shifting without a clutch is tricky at first but once you get use to it you'll be able to float those gears right in without grindage.

I've driven an Eaton Fuller before. They're designed to be shifted without the clutch as are all those trannies.
                              Our cars are not.
                              THough I admit that on many occasions I have infact shifted without the clutch on my pro. Lately though I can only seem to upshift from 1-2 and 3-4 and downshift from 5-4 and 3-2 without grinding.
                              Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                              BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                              Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

i have always just down shifted with out using the clutch i drive without using my clutch as much as i can unless im really taking off fast or racing
                                02 msp clone gone but will never be forgotten

Comment

Working...
                                X