The Smell of Mods in the Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Smell of Mods in the Air

I went outside this morning to be greeted with a warm, spring-like day. I didn't even need a jacket for the first time in many months. A gentle, balmy breeze was blowing, wafting the scent of mods delicately through the air. As the odor permeated my nostrils, a whole panoply of scents invaded my rhinencephalon parading before me in turn the smells of gasoline, engine oil, MT-90, brake fluid, solvent and wheel bearing grease, while my senses became inflamed as visions of working on my car dominated my every thought. My right hand made spasmodic, involuntary clutching motions as if trying to encircle the handle of my Snap-On ratchet while my left hand reached for an unseen box wrench with no corporeal form as it was only a product of my fevered imagination.

Fortunately, my wife soon followed me out of the house and, recognizing the symptoms, immediately led me back inside and had me lie down on the couch while she applied a cold compress to my burning brow. When the seizure passed and I was relatively normal again, I was able to more or less calmly sit down and plan out my potential mods for 2006.

There was nothing really strange or unexpected about my behavior as it's quite common among most garageless car enthusiasts who have to suffer the cold, bleak almost unearthly rigors of a northern NJ winter without the mediating prospect of being able to carry out extensive modifications to one's car. From past experience, it's likely that I'll suffer a number of repetitions of these symptoms, but by April, the worst is generally over. The sooner I can take wrench to the car, the more quickly my return to normal. Therefore, none of you have to worry about me as this is an expected series of events that I, and my family, have learned to live with.

Right now, I'm feeling okay.

Happy Motoring!
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

If your garage is big enough just get a space heater, I did my swap in the middle of winter and I was fine.

Comment

The problem is, I don't have a garage-only a driveway. I don't mind doing simple maintenance jobs like changing the oil but it's generally too cold to do any involved mods.

Happy Motoring!
      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

Hahahah great writeup!

I replaced my rear stabilizer endlinks on -10 with strong northern (cooold) wind in my driveway... since tools were sticking to my arms, i used a saw to remove old endlinks to speed up things a bit... my face was frozen, skin on hands full of "cracks" and i looked halfway dead
        One day you are born,
        The next big milestone
        you discover go zoom-zoom
        you can't get enough!

Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother@#?!&! upside the head!!!

This car refuses to die! By TheMAN

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaMadness
          my face was frozen, skin on hands full of "cracks" and i looked halfway dead
          That's the way it is for us real men car enthusiasts.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

I'm thankful for my garage, I really feel bad for you guys that don't have them.

Comment

Here... that was the day...

freezing cold, altough it maybe doesnt look like it... it really was around -10, -12, celsius...

and in the second pic, you can see my "jackstands"... and yes, sitting on these granite bricks is sooo comfortable
              Attached Files
              One day you are born,
              The next big milestone
              you can't get enough!

Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother@#?!&! upside the head!!!

Comment

What a beautiful day it was in NH today. It's 7pm and still 60* out. Yesterday it snowed, tomorrow its going to be in the 60's again.

Comment

Preach it Brother Goldstar, from the pulpit of mechanizes machismo. I too feel the Spring Fever when the

air warms. It’s not just the beginning of the warm summer months, it’s the realization of a project that

I’ve been working toward for over a year. Is all the planning, and reading, and studying going to pay off? I

can’t wait!
                  1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
                  1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
                  2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
                  1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

Yeah couldn't believe how nice it was today. Too bad I had to work. I'm also garage-less.
                    ED
                    '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
                    Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
                    WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaMadness
                      Here... that was the day...
                      looks like it might be time for some actual jackstands!!! are those scissors jacks on top of the granite?! i hope the cars sturdy!!!

Comment

a few years back i had to replace the timing chain on my 83' Chevy K10 during a blizzard. had to make a makeshift tarp tent. didn't work to well though, snow got to heavy. Had to get it done though, it was the only thing that could go in the snow worth a damn. took about six hours longer then it should of, and I also broke my nose that night working on that damn thing.

93' 5spd DX
                        R.I.P

Comment

did ya'll send that **** down here?

was cold as a mofo today...brrrrrrrr

Comment

It's been snowing off and on for the past two days... the only snow we've had all year. And it is very cold. Not only do I not have a garage, but I am not allowed to work on my car in the parking lot of my apartment complex. I feel exactly as you do.

Comment

Originally posted by esmacmil
                              looks like it might be time for some actual jackstands!!! are those scissors jacks on top of the granite?! i hope the cars sturdy!!!
                              Yeah, "stock" jacks... but i put a wooden plank to cover the granite, to somehow "simulate" the leveled terrain haha, and those 2 bricks on each side were just used so i can drop the car on them, to make the endlinks move up or down.
                              One day you are born,
                              The next big milestone
                              you can't get enough!

Comment

Working...
                              X