Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

was experimenting with Overclocking my PC.(results?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

was experimenting with Overclocking my PC.(results?)

OK, so I got my new PC parts in the mail 2 days ago.
    It consited of.
    P4 533fsb 2.66mhz (retail)
    64MB 8x agp video card.
    (I already had but didn't install) Soyo p4x400 ULtra mother board
    (already had) 512 mb of ram (2x128mb, 1x256mb) .

anyway I pull out the althalon xp1.8 stuff all this in the case. boot up
    and a little later I start playing with overclocking.
    I got this program WCPUID from www.webattack.com to monitor the pc and cpu speed.

I upped the FSB by 1 mhz to 134mhz and I got the result below.
    [IMG]http://protosportracing.tr****.com/z/TEST1_FSB_SET_AT_134MHZ.jpg[/IMG]
    At this setting the system Bus is 534 and the processor is running at 2.67mhz

Restart and up the FSB (Front side Bus) 2mhz to 136mhz.
    [IMG]http://protosportracing.tr****.com/z/TEST2_FSBSETAT136MHZ.jpg[/IMG]
    At this setting the FSB is 543mhz and the cpu is running at 2.71 mhz.

Restart and up the FSB up another 2mhz to 138mhz.
    [IMG]http://protosportracing.tr****.com/z/TEST3_FSB_SET_AT_138MHZ.jpg[/IMG]
    At this point the FSB is at 551.5 and the CPU is at 2.76(rounded up).

I didn't run any games or anything. I was just doing this to see if the WCPUID would register the system speeds and tell me what was going on.

I don't know if anyone else is into overclocking, but I have been doing a lot of research on it, especially last night. I plan to get a swiftech mx4000 heatsink, and I already ordered a vantech tornado fan(loud) for the pc , plus some other fans for the case. This is so I can keep the processor cool ...

Who else is into Overclocking.
    Bruce
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

never again.... blew the family computer about 2 years ago cuz of it...i didnt know what I was doing... i just had the lil app and said why not.... 800mhz pc -> 1.4 with no mods to the thing at all and I just left it on all the time and played games... then i tried to render something...... BOOM!

got into some trouble for that one

Comment

Damn, that's crazy.. I set my FSB at 134. I won't up it more till I change the factory heat sink and fan. And get more air flowing through the case.
      Bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

I just built my first computer and started overclocking. Its an Athlon XP 2500. Runs at 1.83Ghz stock. Right now I have it at 2.28Ghz. Thats 207Mhz FSB and my ram won't go over that and not have errors.

Some other programs you should look into are memtest86 and prime95. memtest is used to test your ram for errors. Prime95 tests your cpu for errors. If you have errors you can either lower your overclock or up the voltage. Do research before upping the voltage because upping the voltage can fry things. I learned all about overclocking and building computer at http://www.overclockers.com. Its a great site with tons of info.
        Last edited by Dermen; 01-08-2004, 07:03 PM.
        02 Protege ES

Comment

haha, post your results http://www.overclockers.com
          i got into overclocking back in the day (3 years ago) and i've been overclocking my pc since.. i cheat though, i use a nice little program called softFSB.. it's not compatible with anything over a p3, but ****, it's still cool.
          my computer starts up at 366 mhz.. once win2k has loaded, i run the program and it shows my FSB at 66.8 *don't laugh or you die*, and then up the juice to 83.3 .. turning out 458.2mhz. trust me, this thing never over heats, have a back up 366 celeron just incase, and the computer will run up to a full month without rebooting, overclocked 92mhz. yeah, i know, no big deal, but it's cool. i've upped the clock speed higher before, getting 500mhz plus, but it won't run longer than 5 minutes without locking up. heres a pic..
          peace
          Attached Files

Comment

Yeah, I frequent overclockers.com. That site and a few other sites is where I got a lot of information from. I just want to be sure that my processor can get rid of a lot of the heat that it will generate. I also have to make sure that the case has the ability to stay cool also. This is why I ordered the extra fans, and why I will be purchasing the swiftech mx4000 heat sink, or something similar.
            At that point I will start to overclock it and maybe run it at 2.8 and then 3.0. I won't run it all the time at these speeds though.

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by demoninvictus
              haha, post your results http://www.overclockers.com
              i got into overclocking back in the day (3 years ago) and i've been overclocking my pc since.. i cheat though, i use a nice little program called softFSB.. it's not compatible with anything over a p3, but ****, it's still cool.
              my computer starts up at 366 mhz.. once win2k has loaded, i run the program and it shows my FSB at 66.8 *don't laugh or you die*, and then up the juice to 83.3 .. turning out 458.2mhz. trust me, this thing never over heats, have a back up 366 celeron just incase, and the computer will run up to a full month without rebooting, overclocked 92mhz. yeah, i know, no big deal, but it's cool. i've upped the clock speed higher before, getting 500mhz plus, but it won't run longer than 5 minutes without locking up. heres a pic..
              peace
              How much memory do you have Demon,
              Maybe it's time to add some more memory .
              When are we gonna meet up?
              Me and Lowpro98 are supposed to meet up this weekend
              bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

heh, i'm running memory of different bus speeds, but i forget which one is capable of over 100mhz.. i don't need more memory (at 256 now), i need an NEW computer . as caf as this weekend, i could only do saturday, and i'm pretty broke at the moment.. can't afford that much traveling (100 miles from 19090 is all i can do). check your pm for a phone #
                peace

Comment

Working...
                X