Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do birds deep taking a dump on your newly washed car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do birds deep taking a dump on your newly washed car?

Does anyone know why exactly birds like taking dumps on shiny cars? I'm not lucky enough to have a garage or driveway, and since I live in Hawaii there are lots of trees everywhere.

Are they particularly attracted to any color? Is it because it's shiny? It is because it's clean of smells? I'm tired of washing my car and then the next day get shat all over. I noticed that my black protege gets shat on immediately after a wash, but my old green one didn't. Anyone else experience problems regarding paint color? Or do you think it's irrelevant, and it's all about location and luck?
    1992 Mazda Protege DX Manual - 5/30/2006 R.I.P
    1992 Mazda Protege LX former Manual - 2/2/2010 Parts Donor
    1994 Mazda Protege LX Manual swap Daily Driver W.I.P.

I don't have a garage either but I do have a driveway, that also contains my wife's 3, at the end of which is a large oak tree, so I share your pain.

The question you pose is an interesting one that has been around as long as the automobile. This may be one of the great imponderable questions of mankind that may never be resolved. It apparently has many answers but not necessarily a definitive one as a Google search revealed. Go to:

For some other questions that may never be satisfactorally answered go to:

For those interested in a philosphical discussion of questions of existence, check out:
    Riddles of existence looked at in the light of Wittgenstein's later logic of language and M. O'C. Drury's philosophy of science.

Good luck with the guano removal.

Happy Motoring!
    Last edited by goldstar; 04-27-2010, 07:39 AM.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

My answer would have to be:
      Originally posted by AtmaEdge View Post
      there are lots of trees everywhere.
      Birds poop. That's what they do. And, if given a nice platform from which to do so, they will invariably poop on your car.

It's not a color thing. It's a gravity thing.
      miss my '93 LX at every corner
      photo album
      Catch me on Facebook

Comment

Which is why you need to get a mean-tempered car....

Youtube Link

It's an OLD vid, but still makes me laugh...

--sarge

Comment

Ah, the old Sport Ka commercial. Classic. Still makes me laugh too.

As to your problem with avian defecation, I recommend either A) a car cover (which will also help protect the paint from sun fade), or B) a cheap awning, or tent or whatever you want to call it, to throw over the car so it's protected.
          1995 626: daily beater, mostly stock. Future NASA racer?

Next up: Speed6 or RX-8

Comment

it's because you only wash your car when it's nice out. and birds are only around when it's nice out.
            sigpic

Comment

*Sings to AtmaEdge's Car*
              "Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near"

Comment

Originally posted by martiniac View Post

It's a gravity thing.
                ^ What he said.
                miss my '93 LX at every corner
                photo album
                Catch me on Facebook

Comment

Ok as an experiment I'll wash my car again take pics and then park it next another car. If birds take a diarrhea dump all over only my car, then I know that birds are being a-holes to newly washed cars. If it's shat over both, then it's gravity and I'm just being a tard about it. We'll see this weekend then.

I mean, it's not just a little crap....but it looks like a blizzard of bird doo hit it.
                  1992 Mazda Protege DX Manual - 5/30/2006 R.I.P
                  1992 Mazda Protege LX former Manual - 2/2/2010 Parts Donor
                  1994 Mazda Protege LX Manual swap Daily Driver W.I.P.

Comment

Originally posted by AtmaEdge View Post
                    Ok as an experiment I'll wash my car again take pics and then park it next another car. If birds take a diarrhea dump all over only my car, then I know that birds are being a-holes to newly washed cars. If it's shat over both, then it's gravity and I'm just being a tard about it. We'll see this weekend then.

I mean, it's not just a little crap....but it looks like a blizzard of bird doo hit it.
                    Excellent experimental design. Finally, we'll get some hard experimental data on whether birds have a preference for defecating on newly-washed cars. If it turns out that birds have this preference, and are not just engaging in random dumps, the next question is why? Are they just being a-holes as you said or do they have more cognitive awareness than we give them credit for? That is, do they peer down from on high and watch us expend effort to wash and wax our cars and then deliberately target them?

If so, is it because they think it's funny and get a good laugh out of it, or does the increased reflectance attract them to it as a more visible target (birds may have competitions with each other to see who's the best bombardier - maybe it helps them to establish their pecking order and the best marksman gets his pick of the females), or is it out of vindictiveness to punish us for encroaching on their habitat and despoiling their environment. Their way of saying, as did Poe's Raven, "nevermore." Did you ever see that Hitchcock movie, "The Birds?" Scary!

Some may poo-poo this study but I think it's an important one for we drivers who love our cars and want to keep them safe from all harm.

I, and I'm sure many others on this forum, look forward to your findings, "in the interest of science and for humanity."

Happy Motoring!
                    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Working...
                    X