No announcement yet.

Building a fence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The square pieces you're seeing are pieces of composite shingle that blew off my roof during the same wind storm that blew down the fence. It was a last minute thing and may actually defeat my drainage features.

The post I set over the portal to middle earth is a good 12 inches shallower than the rest of them. I'm a little concerned that use of the form on this particular post was a bad idea. I packed the dirt around it well and will test it after the cement has hardened. I can add material to strengthen it if need be. I still need to cut off the top those 12 extra inches so it matches the rest of the posts.

I have been using the string in the picture as a guide to keep everything straight. Today the wind was blowing and causing the string to bow a little. If the wind was a constant problem, I would have used survey stakes instead. This was easier, and it did work. I just had to be more careful.

I suppose this is the time to disclose that I've never done this before. I'm making it all up as I go along. Follow at your own risk.
    Attached Files
    1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
    1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
    2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
    1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

work looks good to me. im new to this also but always interested in learning.
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Using the forms turned out to be a bad idea. They just never did firm up enough. I filled up around the forms with soil and used a shovel handle to try and pack the dirt. When I realized that wasn't going to work, I dug out a foot or so down and poured another bag of concrete. They're secure enough now.

Comment

did the forms fully cure???
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Oh yea. It's been a few weeks.

Comment

With the car project on hold, the fence gets the attention. It's not perfect, but at some point I just had to say "eF iT it".
              What you can't really see in the pics is that I had to dig a bit of a trench in the ground to keep the tops of the boards level.
              Attached Files

Comment

looks good enough to me!!!
                any plans to paint/stain the wood?

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
                  looks good enough to me!!!
                  any plans to paint/stain the wood?
                  Thanks.
                  No plans as yet. I figure I'll give it a while to dry before I think about painting. It'll probably get tagged before the summer is over so at least several months.
                  Something else. I used a nail as a spacer between the boards so they'll have room to warp as they dry. Otherwise they might pop right off the rails.

Comment

dang, that kind of neighborhood eh?
                    paint it with some of that hydrophobic stuff. should make an easy cleanup then

Comment

It's not that bad. It's happened probably 3 times in the 13 years we've lived here. I guess I expect it now with all the fresh lumber. lol

Comment

Working...
                      X