• Time
  • Show
Clear All

holy mother of god, those are some nice rods
    Posted By: Wheresthericego

The BP crank is made out of invincible.
    sigpic

Comment

Nice rods! What turbo do you plan on using?
      1990 Protege 4wd: BP05 forged internals, Mild ported head, GTR intake manifold, Gates racing timing belt, GTX transmission, Stage 3 clutch, 60trim T-3 turbo, Custom down pipe,3" Stainles exhaust, , Walbro fuel pump, RB-Performance fmic kit, HKS bov, Aurfa coilovers, F&R drilled slotted rotors, 16" BBS wrapped with Advan Novea tires, EDM glass headlights with HID's, Familia front and rear bumpers.

Boosted 1990 4WD
      http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32462

sigpic

Comment

Lex you will like these rods. When I got mine I checked over everything as well and everything checked out fine. The rods are very well machined and seem to ready to take some abuse. I had no problems installing them. Just make sure you stretch the rod bolts when installing don't torque them. GL man!
        hello 4g63 nice to meet you

Comment

stretch? not TQ? you lost me on that one there^^^
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323 View Post
            stretch? not TQ? you lost me on that one there^^^
            Search on yahoo ftw!

http://www.arp-bolts.com/Tech/TechInstall.html
            **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
            95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

Originally posted by Tazman2 View Post
              good info

Fastener Retention Overview

There are three methods that can be employed to determine how much tension is exerted on a fastener; using a torque wrench, measuring the amount of stretch, and turning the fastener a pre-determined amount (torque angle). Of these methods, use of a stretch gauge is the most accurate.

It is important to note that in order for a fastener to function properly it must be “stretched” a specific amount. The material’s ability to “rebound” like a spring is what provides the clamping force. You should know that different materials react differently to these conditions, and ARP engineers have designed each fastener to operate within specific ranges.

On the other hand, if a fastener is over torqued and becomes stretched too much – you have exceeded the yield strength and it’s ruined. If the fastener is longer than manufactured – even if it is only .001,˝ it is in a partially failed condition. Therefore, ARP has engineered its fasteners with the ductility to stretch a given amount and rebound for proper clamping.

Heat, primarily in aluminum, is another problem area. Because the thermal expansion rate of aluminum is far greater than that of steel it is possible to stretch a fastener beyond yield as the aluminum expands under heat. An effective way of counteracting material expansion is through producing a more flexible bolt.
              1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
              1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
              2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
              2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
              .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Thanks guys, I am sticking with a GTR turbo that's on my car for now - with cams it can came 400whp. wht95, glad to hear your rods checked out and I was already going to stretch the bolts - I read that in your thread as well.

Comment

I know this is reviving a thread, but it does not hurt to ask LEX how have the rods worked out after two years on the motor?

Any glitches? complaints? things to look for?

I read about all the machining you went thru and some reviews a little after install, the question is based now that more than a year has passed by and I am curious how have they performed at the long run.

Thanks in advance
                  Last edited by psiturbo; 11-27-2009, 08:48 AM. Reason: JDMPOWELOL

Comment

Working...
                  X