No announcement yet.

My EGT BP Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The sycros aren't worn at all...which really surprised me. I could "just" see some wear on the 3rd gear syncro. I mean just notice that is wasn't a perfect square corner.

I'm really surprised at how good all the parts are in considering the colour of the fluid in there.

*shrug*
    Drew
    '95 EGT 1.8
    T
    '93 ELX 1.9 SC
    '91 ELX 1.9

Comment

Got the LSD's back today from "WeirTech" in Burlington Ontario.

Had the ring gears TIG'd to the diff. Also had the pinion welded as well. The really cool thing though was getting the LSD's machined to have a speedo gear seat. No need for ghetto-grinding of the gear to mash it onto the diff. They simply drop on now.

Here you can see what all is required for machine work to make the speedo gear seat perfectly on the differential. Notice the 2 little nubs on the speedo gear? They need to be flush with the bearing seat. The rest of the gear sits approx. 1mm lower than the bearing seat so it doesn't interfere with the way the carrier bearing works.
      Drew
      '95 EGT 1.8
      T
      '93 ELX 1.9 SC
      '91 ELX 1.9

Comment

Much cleaner now that It's out of the parts washer.

Ground in the notch by the speedo gear, as well as the high fin that just grazes the LSD.

Since I am going to be running a 60 trim T3 turbo (at least for now) I'm getting rid of the trans mount bolt location that almost always gets in the way.

I'm fully powdercoating this trans case. So I don't want to have to "edit" it afterwards.

No more trans mount bolt location

Trans Fluid cooler return location. Drilled and tapped a 1/4" NPT hole in the casing.

Trans cooler feed location. Also done with a /4' NPT thread. Hooking up a pump and a oil filter to this side.

and that brings us here......

A totally empty trans case. Right ready to be masked and put in the sandblaster. Each section will go into the oven first thought. About 300*F for about an hour. That will migrate all oils to the surface so that the sandblaster can strip them off.
        Drew
        '95 EGT 1.8
        T
        '93 ELX 1.9 SC
        '91 ELX 1.9

Comment

nice progress. did you follow my locations for tapping the tranny??
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

off topic a little, but how long did you have it in the parts wahser for? also what kind of solution do you use in yours?
            5 boosted bp cars,why...

Comment

Ya man. i used your locations. They are honestly the only ones i could find on the main housing. There are a couple locations on the mid housing...but the metal is much thinner there.

I used generic Varsol. Maybe an hour or 2 with a brush going at it.

Sandblasting was the only way to get the case clean on the outside. So oxidized

pressed the carrier bearings on today. Then found out that you need to grind off the casting "letters" on the LSD. Why you ask? Because the letters hit the speedo sensor gear!

Mid housing out of the sandblaster. Notice the difference between it, and the main housing right under it?
              Last edited by Skuce; 03-23-2008, 12:09 AM.
              Drew
              '95 EGT 1.8
              T
              '93 ELX 1.9 SC
              '91 ELX 1.9

Comment

Nice work! I respect how much work goes into the details to make it "right".
                2003 Protege5
                1990 Protege LX (sold)
                1990 Protege DX (sold)
                1992 626 (sold)

Common abbreviations and jargon on Club Protege: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34116

Comment

By Skuce

Finished off the trans mid case today in Chrome Powder.

Base coat "Reflective Chrome", Top Coat "Super Gloss Clear" powders.
                  That should keep it clean and not rusting for a while. It's great when cleaning just involves wiping it off

Knock in the new carrier bearing race w/ the shim(s) under it.

Time to put in the new axle seal. Coat it up with tranny fluid. Then get a pipe to knock it in. I found the dust cap off one of my old S/R struts was just about right.
                  It's funny with really shiny powders.....they show up all the lumps and bumps and dings in the case. Meh....it's just a trans. If I had put on an Epoxy Powder Primer coat...it would have been much smoother.

But again.....it's just a trans!

All done...On to the next half...............
                  Last edited by Skuce; 03-23-2008, 10:13 PM.
                  Drew
                  '95 EGT 1.8
                  T
                  '93 ELX 1.9 SC
                  '91 ELX 1.9

Comment

lookin good man. the only time i've ever torn down a G-series tranny was to see wtf broke haha.

JACK.
                    -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

man i wish i had the option to PC all of my parts.
                      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

you and me both ryan.
                        -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Working...
                        X