No announcement yet.

bp went KABOOM!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its actually quite common to happen in higher mileage engines to have an exhaust vavle burn out. I have a spare head with the same thing. nitrous makes things very hot. the valve might have been due for its time.
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Don't forget that more then likely that piece that broke off hit your piston and/or rings and destroyed something else as it has to go somewhere and usually its not out the exhaust!
      **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
      95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

where else would it go tazman? it has to either be bashed to bits (would be visible on the chamber surface) or out the exhaust.
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

That stuff on the valves looks like a mix of oil and coolant, your HG might have taken a dump aswell. Get a re-built head, or fix the one you have.
          BP-05 Turbo-Sold
          2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323 View Post
            where else would it go tazman? it has to either be bashed to bits (would be visible on the chamber surface) or out the exhaust.
            I had a electrode break off of a spark plug. Guess how that hole in the side of the piston and rings breaking happend!
            **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**

Comment

yea so im just going to replace the valves/headgasket. do i need to replace those valve stem seals too?

Comment

Originally posted by Tazman2 View Post
                Don't forget that more then likely that piece that broke off hit your piston and/or rings and destroyed something else as it has to go somewhere and usually its not out the exhaust!
                honestly, i think it did go out the exhaust. there was peices of hard material in the same exhaust port/exhaust manifold, nothing iv seen before. also the angle that it broke off in makes it seem like it would just go right out the port. look at the pic again
                Last edited by nitrous_protege; 04-05-2007, 06:02 PM.

Comment

you should replace the guides and recut the seats .... just get a rebuilt head instead - its cheaper

Comment

Originally posted by nitrous_protege View Post
                    honestly, i think it did go out the exhaust. there was peices of hard material in the same exhaust port/exhaust manifold, nothing iv seen before. also the angle that it broke off in makes it seem like it would just go right out the port. look at the pic again
                    Then you sir got VERY lucky!

Comment

the valves on ebay are ok stock replacements It maybe more of a hassle to buy your own valves and have a machine shop clean up your head Call around machine shops in your area and get prices for a valve job and with replacing valvesit may be the same price inthe long run Also remember NOS
                      makes a hotter chamber try to find exhaust valves that are sodium filled and backcut stems for more flow I have not searched for any since mine still work

Comment

Originally posted by bpd323 View Post
                        the valves on ebay are ok stock replacements It maybe more of a hassle to buy your own valves and have a machine shop clean up your head Call around machine shops in your area and get prices for a valve job and with replacing valvesit may be the same price inthe long run Also remember NOS
                        makes a hotter chamber try to find exhaust valves that are sodium filled and backcut stems for more flow I have not searched for any since mine still work
                        well im just getting my head resurfaced and the valves will only take a couple hours for me to install. i hope those ebay ones hold up. i already ordered them yesterday so ill have to stick with them.

also who knows the best way to clean up those pistons?? seafoam?

Comment

just don't use brillo pads or scotch bright, they will eat your rings.

Comment

Working...
                          X