No announcement yet.

Project Flat-Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

now what do i need to get the trunk/fuel door release to work properly. I pulled em from a protege dx. Routed through just fine, and i'm guessing hooked up correct.. But i feel i'm missing a few things..

Fuel Door Release
    I pull the fuel door release handle.. The button retracts correctly on the piece in the door bay, but the door doesn't *pop* out. So i still use the key to get a 'grip' on it and pull it open. Do I need a spring or something inside the door to push/pop it out? This is what I saw @ the yard this morning while i was dropping the Honduh off.

MX-3 has a flap putting pressure on the door, so it *pops* out when the button is retracted. Also, the fuel door itself has some inverted bends where it meets the flap around the button of the chassis. The 323 doesn't have this at all. It's more flat, or the bends are going to oppossite way

Hatch/Trunk Release
    On the hatch release, How does the cable completely mount to the unti? I have it placed in, but it's not secured or anything. Are there some clips or something that hold it secure in place?

EGT Foglight Switch Wiring
    Wiring the foglight switch. I bought a 'universal' kit a while back for the Honduh from autozone. The button has 3 points. Red (power+), white (power-), and black (ground*not pictured.. can't find it)

The red power goes from battery to inline fuse to switch. from there it splits and goes to the lights. White from from switch, to the lights.. and Black goes from a grounded bolt to the switch, to I think another ground. (not sure, been a while since i had it wired)

The EGT switch has 4. Thick Red (power to fogs), Red w/ blue stripe, (to dimmer switch), red (to parking lights), and green w/ yellow (power from battery). Before i started screwing anything up. I wanted to find out for sure. Can never find anywhere how it's done correctly.
    • Green w/ yellow - power directly from battery to switch? (old red wire w/ inlines fuse)
    • Red - Goes straight to WHAT on the parking lights? where should i splice onto the parking light harness
    • Thick red - replace the red power + from old switch to the lights themselves
    • Red w/ blue - To dimmer? Where should this get spliced into on the harness

will i still need to ground (old black wire) the EGT anywhere?
    1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
    Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
    "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

140 mph LOL cluster!

Great build!

Comment

Made some good progress today. Found some good conidtion recaro style mx-3 seats for the front to replace the non recaro mx3 seats. Installed a dome light from the protege. Yanked the hatch/trunk light from and mx-3 and dropped it in the 323. Put a power mirror, egt fog switch, ac, and cruise control switch in just to look full finally. And eventually i may actually have it all. But that's not in the books yet. almost completely installed the manual belt conversion. Only thing that I didn't do was mount the lower slider completely as i needed a couple more nuts, and the hardware store closed early. Through the drivers quarter glass on. Along with part of the mx3 center console and arm-rest. Ended up having to return LX power mirrors as they don't fit. And i don't wanna mod it. I'll find some that fit down the line, but again, those aren't quite a 'need' right now.

OH! and i got the flipper thingy for the fuel door! so it works! haha, i actually opened and closed it about 10 times. I was very excited!
        1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
        "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

Ok, so here are some pics to go along with whats been happening the last couple days

Actually JUST got done lowering the steering column. with the MX3 seats in, the steering wheel sits too high for my comfort, now it sits more a better spot. much more sportier feeling. pretty cool lol

almost complete interior

And then there is this... I was really quite excited about all the progress i had to go take it for a spin. Changed out the battery with an extra i had lying around, started up just fine. than i'm smokin a bit. Figured it was cold and exhaust in the rear ofcourse, but then it looks and kinda smells more like burning oil up in the engine bay. I check, and shortly after it's running the CEL comes on... ****! Anyway, VID

Comment

yea! for lower steering columns. did the same thing in my old 323. but i used 3 nuts so i didn't have as much shifting possible.

NEUMAN

Comment

lookin good so far, one step at a time!!!!

p.s. don't worry about the pics of the seats, for some odd reason they never photograph well, i've had the recaro style seats that were 100% mint, but photographed like they were beat to **** lol.
              -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

So last night, or technically this morning around 4 am i got to work on installing the rear strut tower bar. Just FINALLY got a rotary tool, as I know it will come in handy in SO many projects.. So here is the finished product..

Driver side was the first side done. After it was cut, i went to install the 'C', and realized i needed to remove the nuts on the strut mounts themselves as opposed to just putting it over the nuts like the front bar. So in turn... the cuts had to be lowered about 7/8"

Passenger side is much cleaner

I'd like to wrap it in black or something to cover it. Don't really want it flashy

Comment

^ dude way better job than i did on my rear bar.dude i think i may have that broken handle for yah bud.

sigpicWorlds first car with GPS was a Mazda

~~~~~~~~> Thanks again to member gooseinyou for the familia garnish <~~~~~~~~

Comment

Same color as mine, I actually really like the dark grey it would look cool with some flat black wheels. Good luch on the project, I'm still trying to decide on keeping mine or not because it's an automatic and I really don't feel like dealing with the whole auto/manual swap thing

Comment

Nice, working your way through it.

What are your eventual plans?

Comment

Originally posted by joshg123 View Post
                        Nice, working your way through it.

What are your eventual plans?
                        Thanks! I'm up in the air with it's future right now. Dunno if it'll be a daily, or a dedicated $lut.. I likely have something worked out so i can turn this one into the racer, and if i go that route, it's only logical for me to make it a stage rally car

Comment

so i'm out changing the 02 sensor right now as i got a code 15.. i start the car to let it warm up, and after i blip the throttle a bit, i can se where the smoke is coming from. it looks like i'm really burning oil.

the smoke is almost streaming out of the spark plugs slots and on the drivers side top of the exhaust manifold... any1 got any ideas? besides a gasket?

Edit:

New o2 sensor
                          Ok, so i got the new o2 sensor installed. Kinda a PITA as my socket was offset, and i couldn't really warm the car up without smokin myself outta the garage (door was wide open too). But i got it. cleared the CEL. Yipee!!!! my first fix! lol

I think/hope the smoke is just burning oil? It's still comin out of the exhaust manifold . Still, anyone got ideas?
                          Last edited by worldhazard; 01-12-2010, 02:30 AM.

Comment

is that second grill a foggie one?

looks different to all the ones i have seen

Comment

Bleahh , i should read the whole thread before commenting

Comment

subbin
                                397whp, 373tq Dyno Video

Full Standalone E6X, Intel Dual Core 3.2GHz, Dynamix 8", Clarion 5.1
                                Easystreet, 4 corner control, 9 way dampers, 8 gallon tank, dual Viair 380C's
                                Garrett T3 twin scroll, 3" v-band exhaust, 4" antisurge intake, Dual BB, standalone water cooled
                                Full fuel system, SIGNATURE TANKS, 18" Motegi, etc...

Comment

Working...
                                X