No announcement yet.

Josh's BG GTX - Built to the ****house, lots of cool bits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I'll try this one more time and then I'll stop since i don't want to clutter Josh's awesome thread with inconsequential banter.

Second word, post #44 - PROPER. That means the ENTIRE rotating assembly, with flywheel, clutch, and crank pulley. Once you resolve the balance issue(s) in your target RPM, the flywheel/crank pulley will do no damage to your pump.

Next - even the guy whose opinion you so dearly embrace says that a proper lightened flywheel is CNC machined, which Josh's IS. He was probably dissing on some of the ClutchMasters sintered iron FWs, but even those will work fine when properly balanced.

Finally, you're making your argument with a car where oil pump failure is a known issue - here is a quote from the very website your source runs (though I am usually a bit suspect when someone makes a claim about a product whose replacement he's selling):

Originally posted by Boundary Engineering
    The MX-5’s oil pump gears are known to be a weak point in the motor. Every time the engine is brought up past its stock redline, or past its factory power level you are pushing a pump that was designed to the lowest denominator ...
    Both of those statements (going past redline, and significantly increasing the torque output of the engine) will take the balance out of the range it was designed for (not to mention that with age it will naturally become unbalanced due to uneven wear of components).
    How does hitting a flywheel with a hammer (while stationary) verify its resonant frequency under load at full tilt?

Most race engines use solid crank pulleys and light flywheels. You might want to stop by their shops to tell them they're overrated.
    Last edited by Dan [Sac]; 04-27-2010, 10:01 PM.
    '90 Mazda 323 - V6 KLDE, supercharged, right-hand drive, build log
    '93 Ford Probe GT - a few mods...
    10.24 @ 139.5 mph [16 psi] - Timeslip
    490whp, 447 wtq @ 20psi - Dyno sheet

Comment

I dont see why people are debating this if you dont want to use a light flywheel good on ya, other people will use them because they are an advantage just like a bigger turbo or better suspension.

Comment

And with dan's great words, let's give josh's thread back to him. If you want to discuss all that flywheel shiz make a new thread
        1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
        1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
        2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
        2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
        .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Well havent we all had a fun day on the forums haha.

I dont mind a bit of critisisim, but i do have reasons.

I had to either modify the **** out of a stock flywheel to mount the tilton, get it balanced after such modifications, and then its still a 15 year old ring gear, 15 year old flywheel that i wish to spin to a 8000rpm limiter. No thanks, ill spend the 800 bucks and get one made. Custom made to suit my application, guaranteed to fit. Not something that has been machined to the ****house comprimising its integrity and strength. Im not entering into the lightened flywheel vs non lightened flywheel debate but i will say if your on the non lightened side of the fence youve never directly been involved in serious competition.

Regarding the video, as you heard the clutch didnt hold on that run.... that was 319HP at 19psi on pump 98RON fuel. No where near what it did make on the dyno that day, no where near its limits.

Comment

Update,

Back on the project, have bought and either waiting on shipping or have in my hands.

Boundrey engineering +22% oil pump
            Racepak iq3 dash display
            All my machining work done (020 over block, 11thou crank, balanced)
            1mm oversize supertech valves in my rally head all prepped up.
            Fidanza cam gears
            PAR 1-4 dogbox straight cut, with straight 4.11 final drive and CNC selector forks.

Moulding dashboard this weekend with my stepdad, hopefully be able to crack it out of the plug next weekend. and start laying carbon.

Putting engine together in the coming fortnight, have to send camshafts away to be reground then make the customs solid lifters

Saving up now for brake calipers and rims. Then this round of mods is done.

More progress to follow in coming weeks

Cheers

Comment

this is the most ridiculous build on the forum.
              -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
              VF10 powered!
              262 Whp & 257 Wtq
              13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

great setup! post more pics! particularly of the evo manifold!

S197 Mustang GT Convertible The New DD. (Ford Racing 3.73/JLT CAI/SCT SF3 Tuner/Ford Racing Exhaust)
                2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Maximus Tractionous Wifeymobilious
                Previous ~ 235whp 1.8 BP Powered 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege ~ - Sold

Comment

Bought some more bits, welded in a firewall brace, got some new wheels (17x9+17), started moulding the dash

Comment

Very nice wheels. The car is gonna look hot with them on there.
                    Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
                    "Who Dey"

Comment

dogbox? vids plz.
                      sigpic

Comment

Sweet Zombie Jesus. I just wish I had half the money and resources you have.

Really impressive work.

Comment

wow this is nuts!!! i'm excited haha.
                          -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Ok so a few things have taken place.

Have sold the BPT setup, have bought a FE3N engine, Ben (soul) is working on mating the FE3 to the GT4/Rav4 gearbox. Have had the body fully caged, no more flex. Have modified the front guards to accept 235/45R17 tyres on 17x9 wheels. Bought and mounted AP 6 pot front calipers

Will be piecing some pretty decent power parts together, but my main goal with this reincarnation of the build is chassis setup. Previously i had some decent power, but now i want big power, big brakes and big handeling.

Comment

sweet jesus yes! looking forward to seeing more updates!!!!
                              -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Subscribing for update.

Comment

Working...
                                X