Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put gauge cluster in. It's hooked up but not bolted up.

Fastened fan to radiator. It's sturdy and I'm not worried about it. Also did a trial fit in the car and all is well.

Took the battery out of the pick up and hooked it up. Car turned over fine but there a short somewhere. I'm happy to get some oil through the motor again but the short is a bother. The ground wire that runs from the frame to the block got hot.

It's kind of weird to see that gauge cluster light up after all this time. Very cool!

A short, Gahh! I guess I just have to go over it until I find it.

I think I need to inspect all the motor mounts again as well. There was a lot of engine movement when it was turning over. I think I'm really going to need that solid rear motor mount.
    Last edited by 1st Gen; 10-22-2010, 08:46 PM.
    1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
    1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
    2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
    1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

The car right after the OEM engine pull.
      Attached Files

Comment

holy needs a steam clean /pressure wash
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I want 4wd protege goodness...

1992 MX-3 GS - KLZE
          1997 Probe GT

Its not a BP05.... Its a BPOS... BIG PIECE OF ****

Comment

holy needs a steam clean /pressure wash
            Yea, I know. I had the chance to clean it all summer but it just wasn't a priority. Now that I wish I could, it's not really possible. I might try something crazy after a while but for now, it's all about getting it running.

The CAI I bought off Ebay has an adapter plate that had to be modified. The bolts line up just fine but the diameter of the intake needed to be widened. I got that taken care of today.
            I have a grinding attachment for the drill that works well for removing metal. A standard hand file also works well. The drill and the chisel did most of the dirty work.

I found where the water leaks into the cabin. I was sitting there in the drivers seat and it happened right before my eyes. A drip from the top of the windshield fell down to the floor boards. I couldn't pick a better place to have a leak really. I'm going to get the wind shield replaced anyway so some armature body work in the interim won't hurt a thing. Duct tape anyone?

I'm glad to find the tail lights work. The front of the car needs attention but the back is just fine. No prob, it's just a matter of finding the time.

Hooked up the battery again just to check a hunch,. The ground wire that got hot yesterday didn't get hot today. What also changed was the fact that the car wouldn't turn over. The lights worked and all was well, all the time keeping that ground wire cool as a cucumber. I can't really climb under the car to check the starter with the rain like it is but will do so my next opportunity.

Yea, I know the radiator is a duel core, I don't really care as long as it works. The fan sure takes up that whole space doesn't it. I have an automatic transmission fan that will go up front for extra cooling.

I hooked the fan up straight to a battery just for testis and Yikes! It's got torque lol.

If I had known that the wire harness was going to be such a hassle, I would have started a dedicated thread. I guess this is the thread now.

As for fasteners, True Value really does have most everything. Vancouver Bolt has the harder stuff and Costless has the mediocre. (costless did have the drive shaft bolts, and the rear caliper bolts which did surprise me)

Edit, my radiator turned out to have a few holes in it. I don't think it's because of the way I mounted the fan but all the same, I would use bigger washers for retainers to spread the force out more.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by 1st Gen; 11-06-2010, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Got the starter issue worked out. I missed a major ground wire that bolts to the transmission. Once I got that nailed down, the starter turns smooth and easy. I need to swap out the fuel pump still but there's not much left to do to get it running. As soon as a part shows in the mail, I should be able to fire this thing up.

Still need to wire the fuel pressure solenoid. I know what to do so it's just a matter of getting to it.

I have noticed that the alignment is WAY off. I can look at the tires and see how far off it is. I'll adjust them a bit before driving but the alignment shop will be my first stop.
              Last edited by 1st Gen; 10-25-2010, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1st Gen View Post
                Got the starter issue worked out. I missed a major ground wire that bolts to the transmission. Once I got that nailed down, the starter turns smooth and easy.
                If it's the same ground wire as I'm thinking, I usually take a drill, open up the hole, wire-wheel one of the starter bolt areas, and actually bolt it directly that way, rather than onto the dinky little bent piece of flimsy sheet metal that it normally uses.

Comment

I made sure all surfaces were good and clean, including the bolt I used to attach it. Brake cleaner is pretty useful stuff.

Comment

Got falling down drunk on Friday night and have been hung over every since. I went to the Dr. today and found out I only have the flu. It's not fair darn it. I was going to get the car running. Oh well I guess, there's always tomorrow.
                    But yea, I'm going on the wagon you can bet. Nothing about a 5th of BV Special Reserve sounds good right now.

Comment

This is a pretty badass build! AWD protege sedan xD good ****. cant wait to see it fire up.
                      '12 Ford Focus SEL

Comment

Since I'm replacing many of the hoses, this part of the build is going pretty slow.

Got a line replaced that goes from the mechanism on the front of the intake to the back of the throttle body. What a pain that was.

Got the BOV install with all new lines.

Got the radiator in and hooked up. No coolant yet but no reason not to. Got the fans hooked up too. I don't think I'll have any cooling issues.

All that's left, I think, is the VAF and the valve that connects too it. Then it should be ready to start.
                        I need to swap out the fuel pump too for the Walbro but I don't need that to be able to start it.

Getting excited.

Comment

I tried to start it yesterday but not joy. I have a laundry list of reasons why it might not have started but I think I'm going to start with the fuel pump. I'm not happy with the way a lot of the intake piping looks anyway so I might take a purposeful few steps back. Almost everything is cut and installed so putting it back together will be paint by numbers. Feeling pretty good about it even though I have to trouble shoot. No worries.

Comment

Awesome build up!

I look forward to putting a BP in my 4wd that i'm getting for peanuts, but a bpt will be down the road some day.

How does that SMIC get air?! I see a lot of cars, dsm, nissan, toyota, have side mounts, but they are forward facing.. that SMIC seems like it gives off heat and doesn't get cooled.
                            '90 Miata
                            '90 Miata
                            Taco
                            '90 BG 4WD base- sold..

Comment

It's supposed to have a little plastic duct to bring in air from the front. Not ideal.
                              1990 Protege 4WD
                              GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
                              ├┼┤
                              2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

A FMIC is definitely an upgrade.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by 1st Gen; 11-06-2010, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X