No announcement yet.

1992 LX rebuild and future Infini conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I assume you mean the PCV valve? Yah, you just kinda wiggle it out from the valve cover.

Here's my oil catch can, it's uh....bigger than Kaleo's lol. I didn't install it yet since the local checkers didn't have a PCV valve in stock, I'll just have to check napa later.

The thing also weighs at least 3 pounds lol.
    1992 Mazda Protege DX Manual - 5/30/2006 R.I.P
    1992 Mazda Protege LX former Manual - 2/2/2010 Parts Donor
    1994 Mazda Protege LX Manual swap Daily Driver W.I.P.

Comment

damn that's huge lol, gonna secure that to the side shock tower or something?
      -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Well, not sure, but when I first test fit it, it seemed like a good idea at the time to secure it to the AC hardlines at the hose fittings and bottom with zip ties. Ideally I would make a bracket for it, but I'll see if the zip tie idea works well first. It's it still wiggles or vibrates and makes noise with the car on I'll make a bracket.

Comment

sweet, that works lol
          -Jack

Comment

Installed the catch can today. Zip tied it by three points on the AC hard lines, it's pretty solid and away from the engine.

so far runs really well. I JB welded the release valve on the bottom since it leaked when I tested it. I'll buy a new PCV valve tomorrow and replace the coolant temp sensor as well.

So far with the 4 wire and kia injectors I seem to be getting pretty good mileage (215 miles on half a tank with some thrashing and windows down on the highway), will be filling up at the end of the week to calculate mpg, then again the week after to account for putting on the catch can half way through.

Comment

Just calculated my MPG after a fill up. I filled up a little over 11 gallons and traveled about 342 miles, and it came out to around 30 a gallon plus some change. This was with kia injectors, 4 wire, mostly highway with some thrashing, regular shifts at 3k, and windows down.

Next week I'll calculate with the oil catch, seafoamed mani at PCV, replacement napa PCV valve, and Master Pro coolant temp sensor. I might get new plugs and wires, but not sure yet. But I think with these new things installed and shifts at 2.5k I can probably get MPG to 35. We'll see.

BTW the Napa auto parts PCV is really janky looking compared to the stock BP PCV. It just looks and feels cheap. Hopefully it's not a downgrade from the dirty stock one.

Comment

Installed coolant temp sensor, top up the radiator coolant, and seafoamed the intake mani mostly through the brake booster and some through the PCV valve.

Noticed a lot of smoke coming from the exhaust mani and underneath the car during the seafoaming indicating some significant exhaust leaks. *sigh* maybe a project for the summer.

Comment

Said my last goodbye's to my last LX, finally got towed away today, made $100 from the scrap, soon to be used to fund the paint project I have lined up.

more pics to come of the paint and body work.

Comment

((
                    But we're waiting for new pics! )
                    sigpic
                    1990 323s BG 1.6i

Comment

Here's a little preview of a long awaited upgrade to my car's lighting. JDM headlight protectors and motorized EDM headlamps. The jdm corner is just a stand in until I get a pair of infini corners. Nice eh?

I won't be installing them until my car is finished with it's paint job. Hopefully this will be done before the end of July. Thinking about blacking out the housing just outside of the reflectors.

Comment

glad someone on here bought those protectors.

NW MAZDAS

Comment

Me too, I couldn't resist having a really rare JDM part. Also I thought it might be worth protecting the glass EDM's with something considering my past experience with EDM's getting destroyed due to unfortunate accidents. Hopefully I don't destroy the pair I have now in an attempt to black house them.

Comment

nice lights man! are those the self levelling ones?

If you're wanting to pull the lens off the house, I just let them sit in the oven for 5 mins at around 200-250 degrees and used the dull edge of a long knife to pull it off the housing, one section at a time til they popped off.
                            -Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Mazda_Powered View Post
                              nice lights man!
                              +1 )
                              JDM headlight protectors are cool!
                              What bulbs will you use afer install?
                              sigpic
                              1990 323s BG 1.6i

Comment

Originally posted by Mazda_Powered View Post
                                nice lights man! are those the self levelling ones?

If you're wanting to pull the lens off the house, I just let them sit in the oven for 5 mins at around 200-250 degrees and used the dull edge of a long knife to pull it off the housing, one section at a time til they popped off.
                                Yah these are the motorized leveling ones. I think I'm going to a heat gun instead of baking them because I'm afraid I'll fry the motors.

Originally posted by labeo View Post
                                +1 )
                                JDM headlight protectors are cool!
                                What bulbs will you use afer install?
                                Goldstar posted a pretty good review of Osram Nightbreaker Plus bulbs, I might go with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X