No announcement yet.

My 91' AWD Protege

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been daydreaming about this adapter plate.... Kinda hard to tell but it's for the B series bell housing.... Hmmmm AWD KL

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

#1- where did you find that?
      #2- thats for a BP trans? or what do you mean B series? Bxxxx truck?
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Lol sorry shoulda clarified.... That pic was borrowed from Dan[sac]'s RWD probe thread and I don't actually own that adapter plate... It's designed for KL to a miata trans.... The plate would need tweaking in order to fit the AWD trans and starter mounting location clocked around but it would be very possible to do

Ugh, but the protege is supposed to be my reliable DD but needs more powaa lol

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

i believe the KL AWD issue is actually block clearance
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

My 91' AWD Protege

Has anyone tried the adapter plate though to prove it won't work?

I still say it'll work, the AWD trans is still a G series which so is the stock KL trans, so in my opinion the axle to flywheel center spacing will be the same.... I'd use one of my GTX tranny so no worries about the diff lock motor getting in the way, although I'd use my blown up USDM trans for mock up that has the diff lock motor

Maybe by spring time I'll spend the money on the plate and let the curiosity get the better of me lol I still have to get the body kit painted on the festiva lol

EDIT: you know what, for shts and giggles I'll take one of my AWD tranny's and get it on a KL that has a flywheel/clutch still to see the clearances... The clutch splines are the same so they'll at least be center with each other, just won't bolt up obviously lol

Pics will be on the way by the end of the weekend lol
            Last edited by Damkid; 12-07-2013, 08:43 AM.

Comment

hey that's a good idea lol gives you something to use as a visual, which helps HUGE compared to sitting with a pencil/paper haha.
              -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Haha you know me jack, I love finding this stuff out first hand

Comment

I'm betting that it will work. Just a hunch
                  91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

Only thing I'm slightly worried about clearance is for the diff lock motor, but if not then I'll try the GTX trans lol

Comment

well get in there!! lol
                      -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

I had to clean up the last mess I made first lol

So here is the old and busted complete rear subframe flipped and ready for disassembly

Sway bar removed

Then I pulled the long bolt out that holds the TTL's to the subframe, the center piece of the subframe fell out....

And to think I was driving it like that eeek when I put my body weight on the subframe, that crack I posted earlier grew wider meaning the subframe wasn't far from splitting into two pieces....

Unbolt the axle from the pod and it comes right off

Passenger side

And the center pod out

And the salvaged parts

All tucked away nicely with my AWD parts stash

That's it for today.... Tomorrow I'll test fit a tranny on a KL

Comment

good ****in lord!!! thats a mess. looks like theres alot of room for a lower tiebar system on those TTL's

Comment

Ya it's just a scrap paperweight now lol I'm incredibly happy I had a spare though

But at least all of this has given me an idea on what's involved with swapping just the pods out lol

Comment

Glad to know I am not the only one with a rat hole stash...I thought I might be sick.

Comment

Last year I stripped an awd protege, only things I sold from it were the front knuckles and LCA bushing cages, I still have everything else that's awd specific right down to the diff lock switch, i only had the use a tranny and both front crossmembers on my protege and of course now the rear subframe

Comment

Working...
                                X