CATCO Cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jho
    Well I don't know about your ass shooting flames, sounds like you might wanna see a doctor about that one. And as far as selfish goes, I don't think it was selfish of me, plus I didn't do it for any gain. Besides aren't cats a catch22? While reducing the carbon monoxide, don't they give off a carcinogen?....something to do with the platinum getting that hot.
    Yes, they can put out ammonia, and potentially hydrogen sulfide, but that is in far rarer circumstances and primarily in poor quality cats. It's not that the platinum gets too hot, but that platinum itself allows for some unwanted reactions to take place. Most cats are not just platinum, however, to make up for that. Anyway, the gains most definitely outweigh the losses.
    Ask me about engine management!

Comment

I run a carsound (magnaflow) 2.5" shorty cat and a 2.5" Moroso Spiral-Flow muffler. For a long while, I ran the cat only, with no muffler, but it was just too loud on extended drives to the tracks. After 5-6 hours, my head was ringing like crazy, it felt like the days I used to pump big subs for a long time.

Then I got the muffler, and clamped together a mandrel-bent system to finally exit behind the rear bumper, but even now, the stupid spare tire well acts as a resonance chamber, since the muffler is right beside it. It's not nearly as bad as it used to be, though. But with a helmet on, and under power all the time, it's just fine; and it even sounds wicked outside, not farty/ricey, just powerful, and air-ripping.

I think a high-flow cat is a good way to muffle the sound, and still stay technically legal. don't really need a resonator that way, just straight-through muffler or two, if any, depending on how quiet you want it to be.

--sarge

Comment

Originally posted by 95ProLeila
        read it again, wasn't even two years, two weeks

REALLY, GEEZ Like I didnt read it the FIRST TIME.

Its a Valid Query. WHAT did it fail ON. If it was HC or CO thats ENGINE TUNE, NOx with the first Gens that DO NOT have a EGR to help tailor the NOx the only thing left is if the CAT was doing anything.

Granted carbon buildup on the pistons and chambers could cause a slight increase in NOx due to a raise in C/R but if its THAT bad I would think the car would be running rough somewhere in the band anyway.

Either way got the lil Pro passed as it was and the girly is happy.

And the new CATCO was already purchased/installed, before the post was done so unless you had/have a catco i dont really care for an un-needed comment.

MAZDARACERS response was fine, just on WHAT did it fail on would be helpful.
        If NOx was high then I can say the CATCO is faulty, return it and get my $$$ back.
        And spend it on a Magna :-)
        -Michael
        '90 Protege SE
        Originally posted by charles
        It's probably to fix that ****ing automatic seatbelt

Comment

How are ya...

I have a 98 Protege 1.5L and it shows that cat thrushold error as well. I want to get the BEST millage possible. and i want the check engine light to go out.

What do you suggest?

Comment

Originally posted by geo_allino@yaho View Post
            How are ya...

I have a 98 Protege 1.5L and it shows that cat thrushold error as well. I want to get the BEST millage possible. and i want the check engine light to go out.

What do you suggest?
            Nice way to bump a thread from 05.
            1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
            1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
            2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
            2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
            .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

The '90 just got back from its bi-annual smog test. PASS!!!
              Data point, same Catco Cat from two years back, '90 SE SOHC A/T. 175K Miles.

15MPH test; Rpm-1983; CO2-14.6%; O2-0.3%; HC-57ppm; CO- 0.21%; NOx-381ppm
              25MPH test; Rpm-1895; CO2-14.6%; O2-0.3%; HC-31ppm; CO- 0.14%; NOx- 143ppm
              -Michael
              '90 Protege SE
              Originally posted by charles
              It's probably to fix that ****ing automatic seatbelt

Comment

Working...
              X