1993 Fwd to Awd swap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1993 Fwd to Awd swap question

I would like to do a awd swap on my 1993 protege. I found a car that has the drivetran and all this morning at the junk yard but i don't know what i need to pull off. I'm new to mazda's and don't really know what well hold up. What is awd specific, can i use the tran's that i already have or Is there something i should look out for. I would like to pull off the parts this weekend so any help would helpfull and appreciated.

cut the whole floorpan out if you can, would save you a lot of work. but you would need the awd transmission, shifter/linkage, driveline, all 4 hubs, axles, complete rear subframe, and gas tank. theres probably a few things that im missing

NW MAZDAS

Comment

Think's a lot. I really needed it. Hopefully i should be able to pull all this out this weekend.

Comment

is it a manual?

NW MAZDAS

Comment

My car is but the one at the junk yard look like a auto.

Comment

well you would need to source a 5spd awd gearbox and shifter/linkage, which could be tricky. unless you wanted an auto awd..
            Last edited by bogaut; 06-17-2012, 02:43 AM.

NW MAZDAS

Comment

no i want the 5speed. i was going to look at the other junk yards tomorrow to see if i can find one.

Comment

good luck. you were lucky enough to find 1 awd, doubt you will find another.

NW MAZDAS

Comment

Originally posted by aj123_4 View Post
                  I would like to do a awd swap on my 1993 protege. I found a car that has the drivetran and all this morning at the junk yard but i don't know what i need to pull off. I'm new to mazda's and don't really know what well hold up. What is awd specific, can i use the tran's that i already have or Is there something i should look out for. I would like to pull off the parts this weekend so any help would helpfull and appreciated.
                  What car did you find? If its a 4wd pro do what bo said.
                  1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                  1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                  2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                  2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                  .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

It looked to be a regular 4wd model. What's the difference between the 4wd and the 4wd pro?

Comment

Pro is just short for protege

NW MAZDAS

Comment

Lol now i feel slow. yea that what it is a 1990 4wd pro.

Comment

yeah, the unibody is fairly different between the FWD and AWD. You're better off starting with an AWD protege.
                          -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
                          VF10 powered!
                          262 Whp & 257 Wtq
                          13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

from the lil i've read so far... you're in WAAAAY over your head with this. Seriously, just watch the forum, and scour CL regularly until u find a 4wd runner, and than take the motor (presuming ur '93 is an LX or bp swap) and swap that in there. Hell you'll prolly get that accomplished sooner than you would attempting the conversion honestly. lol. Protege's aren't like subarus... Having parts everywhere, with so much interchangability between drivetrain configuration. We're kinda the 4wd whores out here in the NW, and they come and go more than they use to now. buy a ticket, fly out here, and cruise on home and knock out the swap. by the time you're done, you'll be GLAD you did.

http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?57006-1990-4wd-protege-
                            for-sale
                            1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
                            Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
                            "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

yea if youre gonna bother with a fwd to awd conversion, you might as well go with toyota stuff anyways. i would grab the hubs at the jy at the very least though, as you could sell them on here easy.

NW MAZDAS

Comment

Working...
                              X