The Ultimate solution for Clutch pedal squeak/play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ultimate solution for Clutch pedal squeak/play

The Stock bushings that supports the clutch pin is bad, it wears out and will allow the pin to then eat into the pedal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	nice pins.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	351.0 KB
ID:	1275470

This bushing is less than 5 months old.

Name:	3 monhts old.jpg
Size:	348.4 KB
ID:	1275463

There is no real fix for the wallered out pedal once it happens other than trying to weld material and make it perfectly circular again.

Well here is a solution.

Name:	tested JB weld.jpg
Size:	351.2 KB
ID:	1275471

You will need
    10,12,14mm wrenches ratcheting preferred.

22mm OD 8mm ID skateboard bearings 608-2rs worked and are cheap
    A way to make a 22mm hole in the pedal, it is very hard. I used carbide.
    A way to affix the bearing to the pedal, I originally wanted to press it in. Then resorted to welding it. You shouldn't use JB weld.

If you don't have a spare pedal, set your clutch pedal free play perfectly before you begin. This will make it easier to adjust the push rod at the end as you know how much play the pedal should have exactly. Look in the FSM for this procedure.

Name:	big hole.jpg
Size:	368.0 KB
ID:	1275464

I cut a ~21.5mm hole and reamed it out to 21.7mm. Which should of been close enough to press. It sheared the outer casing of the bearing. And made the fit far too loose.

I then tried JB weld. Don't bother.

Name:	dont use JB weld.jpg
Size:	374.7 KB
ID:	1275467

Pressing the center pin in and out a few times loosened it up. It is not worth the effort.

I then fired up the $80 harbor freight welder because it was the only thing with wire in it. If you're using that POS the settings are HIGH and full speed. Nothing else will cut it. Make sure you can remove both sides of the bearing shield after welding. I re-greased the bearing with moly chassis grease after the abuse.

Make sure the bearing rotates smoothly after your chosen attachment method.

Paint over the exposed metal from welding.

Honestly I would outsource the entire hole/pressing if you have a friendly machine shop. I was quoted a F-off price.

I didn't attempt to make this look good, I do not care. It is important you don't have any hemorrhoid welds in the Range of motion RED or the install path GREEN.

Name:	fully clearance.jpg
Size:	356.2 KB
ID:	1275468

You should do all your test fitting off the car. The Rod bracket does need a bit of persuading to go around the bearing the first time.

Name:	do fitment off the car.jpg
Size:	348.4 KB
ID:	1275466

Just remember that the pin should install easily between the two sides of the fork.

Nice and swood

Name:	should go in flush.jpg
Size:	369.1 KB
ID:	1275473

Clean up the bolt pivot bushings while you are here. Also try to source the larger bushings.

Name:	try to souce large bushings.jpg
Size:	345.0 KB
ID:	1275472

I believe I posted about the model to grab these from a few years ago.

If you really hate yourself you can get a nyloc nut for the pedal and make install much worse, but never have to worry about it loosening.

Name:	nyloc.jpg
Size:	355.9 KB
ID:	1275474

IIRC it is m12x1.25.

Here is the factory clutch spring setup.

Name:	correct spring orientation.jpg
Size:	329.0 KB
ID:	1275465

You will forget.

You may need to choke up fully on the rod adjustment to get it to install. I did.

Here is how I drive the pin in. I use a pry-bar against the steering column catch as a pivot. It pops in really easy.

Name:	how i drive  pin.jpg
Size:	337.7 KB
ID:	1275469

I put about 25miles on it tonight while trying to find a gas station that doesn't have a 1970's line out in front.

The pedal feels great. It was worth cracking my phone for;almost.The loudest part of the pedal operation is now the clutch engagement switch.There is more than enough thread engagement on the push rod despite the pin center being about 2mm from the factory position. I am not concerned about the bearing failing. This is a lifetime fix to a problem everyone will have in some fashion.

If you would like to contribute to my new screen fund kick me a few bucks on paypal mtthwhllnd A T gmail.com

Or donate to the site.
    Last edited by Kitty; 05-11-2021, 10:59 PM. Reason: formating
    Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
    kitty, you are a hilarious woman
    Originally posted by HopelessCow
    there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
    Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Visuals help so much, i was quite lost at first.
    I really like the idea. I do have a squeaky pedal so this will be a nice remedy.

Kudos for the thought behind this!
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
      Kudos for the thought behind this!

Thanks.

200+ mile update.

Doing great, Makes me wish I did it to the 240 when I rebuilt that pedal recently.

I've been fiddling with the free play/total free play and pedal height a bit to dial in disengagement. I have a bit of pedal travel left after the clutch is fully disengaged which isn't a real issue but I really have to mash it when starting the car to engage the clutch interlock. A thicker rubber bumper for the interlock side would be a good solution. I think I am running a bigger bore clutch master that factory. Or it might be a smaller bore clutch slave. So that might be a factor in the equation. I know I'm running the 929 brake master.

The master may or may not be leaking slightly, as it looks moist but has been getting some over-sprayed lube on it for years so who can tell. So that is something I should confirm eventually.
      Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
      kitty, you are a hilarious woman
      Originally posted by HopelessCow
      there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
      Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Working...
      X