Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MPV alternator thread (with pictures that aren't dead)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how's the belt alignment? any issues? oh and most of the remans add a bushing to the bolt hole which could explain the lack of adjustment you mentioned

Comment

Is the case of the MPV alt larger than the Protégé one? I only ask because with cruise, A/C, and a larger oil filter I have never had to pop a half shaft or jack up the engine to pull the alt. Curious.

And a great write up. Thank you.
      1990 Mazda Protege LX, owned since new

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaNoob View Post
        how's the belt alignment? any issues? oh and most of the remans add a bushing to the bolt hole which could explain the lack of adjustment you mentioned
        Belt alignment is fine, I've had it off three times or so and the only belt I ever need to readjust is the powersteering/ac due to the pulley slowly dying on it. Hell I'd have to say the setting belt tension on it is easier than the factory alt because I don't need a breaker bar to do it.

Originally posted by Proto-G View Post
        Is the case of the MPV alt larger than the Protégé one? I only ask because with cruise, A/C, and a larger oil filter I have never had to pop a half shaft or jack up the engine to pull the alt. Curious.

And a great write up. Thank you.
        It is larger, and I have all the equipment you do. I had pull the axle and jack up the engine a bit as well. Combining the job with a intake manifold removing project would be an "easier" course of action.
        Last edited by Kitty; 07-30-2015, 05:35 AM.
        Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
        kitty, you are a hilarious woman
        Originally posted by HopelessCow
        there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
        Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Hey Thanks, i must of missed that, do you know if they offer a military discount? thus why i was trying my normal parts warehouse sites, a 10-20% off makes a difference, ill email them now. Thanks again.

Comment

Good to know and thanks again for the great information, soup to nuts.
            1990 Mazda Protege LX, owned since new

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf88 View Post
              Hey Thanks, i must of missed that, do you know if they offer a military discount? thus why i was trying my normal parts warehouse sites, a 10-20% off makes a difference, ill email them now. Thanks again.
              Most of the chain parts stores offer 10% discount for military. Might not if you live super close to a base though.
              Beater=/= Sleeper

there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
              Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

I was going to put the alternator back on the build today and discovered that the pivot bolt hole is stripped. I had already returned one so thought I'd make this one work but just screwing it up all together.

I've had nothing but crap luck with reman alternators for my pro. I wasn't expecting to do this but now will be as good a time as any to upgrade. Thanks for the write up.
                1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
                1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
                2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
                1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

Yeah both the bolt and the alt threads themselves are easy to ruin for some reason on this application. If you look at my picture of my factory lower bolt it's beat to hell.

It probably has to do with the full weight of the alternator being applied to the bolt on initial install as well as the angle it's applied.

As for reman success you've really got to drop some money on some things, if something takes longer than an hour to swap out you're better off buying OEM or equivalent.
                  Unless you don't value your time. And with carquest now just upselling advanced auto parts tier products buying things is even harder.
                  Beater=/= Sleeper

Comment

I have to change the pulley back out to serpentine so I just bought a new alternator to save the trouble as it is a pain pulling the alt anyway.

I clearanced this one so it has full adjustments. Photos here.http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...l=1#post828348

You just need to grind down the top bolt tab holding the assembly together. It shouldn't effect constitution. I will post what belt I end up using with the serpentine with MPV alternator setup eventually.
                    Last edited by Kitty; 08-21-2021, 04:10 PM.
                    Beater=/= Sleeper

Comment

Working...
                    X