No announcement yet.

Dealer wont honor recall!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should Mazda fix seat belts free of charge??????????????

I just took my car in for the recall today because I was having lots of problems with the seat belt system. They would not honor the recall, saying that its the switch in the door and the center console unit has to be replaced. Now I have to pay them a 100 dollars for a check they themselves said was not performed to this vehicle according to their data base. The links below have some phone numbers to call if you have problems with the dealer so I plan on calling mazda in the morning. According to the second link the owner is entitled to a free no charge service for this issue.

Use our VIN lookup tool to check for recalls on your car, or search by make and model. Also, get recall information on car seats, tires and equipment.

Last edited by ivan15; 08-03-2009, 06:04 PM. Reason: link did not work

Comment

you do know about the seatbelt fix we have on this forum, rite?

Comment

Originally posted by whistler View Post
        you do know about the seatbelt fix we have on this forum, rite?
        Yeah, I had a post on how to fix it and people said to remove the seat belt light and unplug the wire under the seat. I also read on alldata.com that the center console unit can be adjusted.

The recall if you read it said that the seat belt rail could wear out and break in a car crash.

Comment

Originally posted by JProtege View Post
          yea mine are working pretty good. one time this winter when it was really cold, it didn't work. . . but i shut the door and opened it again and it worked. also, that stupid seatbelt light/beeping problem stopped for me. It's been like a year since it was doing that stupid sensor crap. meh, i'm sure it'll come back soon.
          Easy fix for just about any no brainer to do......

1. Pull white plug out from under center console above auto belt motor
          2. Disconnect it
          3. Use 2 3'' wires (18g - 12g) and attache a male flat end on all top and bottem of wires (4 total)
          4. Insert one wire to white plug from top right to directly bottem right female end of plug
          5. Repeat step 4 for other side using the same female end of plug
          6. Cover it all back up
          7. Drink a nice cold one and never worry again about gremlin seat belt beep.
          Last edited by Rice'sRocket; 08-04-2009, 10:28 PM. Reason: word usage

Comment

Originally posted by ivan15 View Post
            The recall if you read it said that the seat belt rail could wear out and break in a car crash.
            oh I didn't know about the seat belt rail breaking, I've never seen any instance of that at anytime.

Comment

Originally posted by Rice'sRocket View Post

2. Disconnect it
              3. Use 2 3'' wires (18g - 12g) and attache a male flat end on all top and bottem of wires (4 total)
              4. Insert one wire to white plug from top right to directly bottem right female end of plug
              6. Cover it all back up
              My seat belt rarely beeps, But what it does do is it tends to twitch while I am driving. It gets really annoying after a while especially on a long distance trip.

What I mean by twitching is that the shoulder belt tends to to try to move up but some thing is keeping it from moving so it keeps on trying every few minuets or so.

Comment

What I have herd is that by federal law manufactures of vehicles must warranty the belts for the life of the vehicle. So if the belt fails due to wear or something they must replace free of charge to guaranty that the vehicle is safe.

My Mazda dealer could not guaranty that the belt will perform what they are intended in a crash.

So I am asking every one that values their safety to file a compliant at this web site:

Last edited by ivan15; 08-06-2009, 09:28 PM.

Comment

The way recalls work is, the dealer does the work, files paperwork to the factory, and receives reimbursement based on the book SRT (standard repair time) for the repair. Regardless if it's a safety recall or a warranty cost reduction recall, the money flows the same. Reasons a dealer might not want to do recall work:

- Additional work of filling out and submitting paperwork to the factory
                  - Payment is delayed
                  - Mazda may reject the claim (dealer eats the cost)
                  - Actual repair time is longer than SRT
                  - Other work is more profitable

Dealers that have a busy repair shop might not like recall work because there's less margin, while a dealer needing work is happy to have recall work. Rather than fight with this dealer, I'd try to find one that needs the work. In this economy where people are fixing rather than buying new, that might be tough.

Comment

Not to sound like a dick but its an almost 20 yr old car. If you want to be "safe" then go buy a newer car or stop going so fast over school parking lots speed bumps(ok the last thing I said was being a dick but it was funny admit it )
                    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Originally posted by Turpro View Post
                      Not to sound like a dick but its an almost 20 yr old car. If you want to be "safe" then go buy a newer car or stop going so fast over school parking lots speed bumps(ok the last thing I said was being a dick but it was funny admit it )
                      I have already replaced countless engine parts, a/c, suspension, body parts and painted 2/3 of the car. So why not have Mazda fix their crappy belts since I have already done every thing else.

Comment

Originally posted by ivan15 View Post
                        I have already replaced countless engine parts, a/c, suspension, body parts and painted 2/3 of the car. So why not have Mazda fix their crappy belts since I have already done every thing else.
                        Welcome to owning an almost 20 yr old car.
                        2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                        .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Originally posted by Rice'sRocket View Post

2. Disconnect it
                          6. Cover it all back up
                          Is this how to similar?

Comment

My driver's side auto belt cable grenaded a while back. I have the best possible situation in my hands: I work at a Mazda dealership, my dad is a Mazda Master Tech there too. The belts aren't covered by a life-long warranty and I believe it even states that in the warranty booklet that comes with the car.

I just got a "new" one at the junkyard and swapped it in. This isn't hard to do AT ALL. Just do it...you've done everything else yourself, as you said...why give up now?

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
                            On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
                            My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

have them give it to you in writing that they refuse to do the recall. if not go to a lawyer and pay him like 50 or 100 bucks to type a formal letter informing them that to your understanding they are refusing to fulfill a recall along with a bunch of other mumbojumbo letting them know if they continue to refuse service that you will be forced to send this letter to others whom would be interested to know a recall was being refused.

and a recall is a recall, waranty is very different, recall is fix the part per government, waranty is the car is new enough the dealer will cover faulty parts.
                              There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Comment

Originally posted by FazdaBoy4ever View Post
                                have them give it to you in writing that they refuse to do the recall. if not go to a lawyer and pay him like 50 or 100 bucks to type a formal letter informing them that to your understanding they are refusing to fulfill a recall along with a bunch of other mumbojumbo letting them know if they continue to refuse service that you will be forced to send this letter to others whom would be interested to know a recall was being refused.

and a recall is a recall, waranty is very different, recall is fix the part per government, waranty is the car is new enough the dealer will cover faulty parts.
                                I understand how well that will work but why spend 50-100 for that when you can get the part for less than 20?
                                2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay

Comment

Working...
                                X