Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1000 dollars to rebuild/improve. what to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What decreased reliability? If you do it right there won't be any problems.

My pop's Turbo coupe T-bird has over 170,000 miles on it and only has done routine maintenance to it. Still runs strong, but is just barely starting to lose oil pressure, most likely due to the bearings.

If its done right, dont over boost, you'll be fine. Just leave it at factory specs.

Comment

driveshafts breaking, clutches going, transmissions breaking etc...it is the bain of turbo cars

Comment

Originally posted by GetFresh.
        If you're spending that much, might as well get something top of the line.
        Microtech LTX-8 $895 (complete stand alone EMS - fuel and timing)
        This is the exact system I used on my 647 rwhp FC3S.
        Main Site: http://www.microtechfuelinjection.com/computers.htm
        US Site: http://www.microtechusa.com/computers.html
        Top of the line is Motec, but that'll cost you $4000 for a basic system.

> **Note:** Production builds must be run with the NODE_ENV environment variable set to 'production' > **Note:** Builds running on the 'test' website must be run with the CMS_MODE environment variable set to 'edit' > **Note:** When CMS_MODE is set to 'edit', the strapi/scripts/cron.sh script runs at 11:30pm every Mon-Fri night

For $1000, I'd get cams. Our engines need cams to get gains. Cam gears are a waste without them. You can get Corksport cams for a good price. THEN get camgears. Miata guys have been finding that you get best power with more intake cam, than exhaust. You should have enough left over get an RX7 AFM and filter kit. Just tune your meter on the dyno....trust me on this. I put my meter on, and adjusted the tension so that it ran the best. But it was way too rich. I was down 7hp over before I installed the meter. Also, while you're on the dyno, bump ignition timing up to 18 degrees BTDC. Should get you 5 or 6 free hp. I got 7hp over the standard 10 degrees.

There ya go. 20hp for 1000 bucks......

Comment

for 1000 bucks I would buy a wet nitrous system (75-100 shot) way before I spent 1,000 on 20 h.p.

Comment

hell id buy a dry 50 shot set up for $300 then spend the rest on rebuilding.

Comment

Really? How much have you spent of your car so far? Do you have nitrous?

Besides, that's all RELIABLE power that can be used any time. And it would probably end up being more than 20 more hp if tuned correctly. That's WHEEL horsepower too.

Comment

^^^ i run as fast as you with the mods i have...with those id be teh winnar. but there are some things i REALLY need before i do anything ie clutch, rings, head gasket, etc...

Comment

NoS is what's called quick hp. It will also cost you money to keep refilling the NoS bottle, which I don't hink is cheap. If you can get a good port and polish and a 3 angle (which at times becomes something like a 5 angle anyway) then work on tuning the motor. You can net good everyday power and the car will still be reliable for everyday use.

BRuce
                  photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by red90protegelx
                    ^^^ i run as fast as you with the mods i have...with those id be teh winnar. but there are some things i REALLY need before i do anything ie clutch, rings, head gasket, etc...
                    Those runs were done on balding 185/60/14 budget brand tires and a worn clutch. And you gotta admit, 15.9 is pretty fast for manifold back exhaust and an RX7 AFM.

I'll be running 15.5 within the month, maybe even faster with good tires.

See how easy it would be to get that fast? People always underestimate us Protege guys too.....which I love; just to see the look on their faces.

Comment

I need to take my protege to the damn track.
                      photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

I've spent close to $4,000 on the car so far, without the price of the car. I didn't want to mod the motor til recently, so nothing big on the motor, but will be soon.

Comment

Working...
                        X