Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4.5 is probably an over estimate.....
    All I know is that I am low.
    Is there a strut out there that will work with a 2" drop? Or should I consider going with some eibach springs brings the car up some? I really like the way the car looks with a 2" drop, but it just doesn't feel stiff to me. I know there is a difference though. I used to take this corner off ramp at 75 and could get the tires to squeal a little as I went over. Now I can hit it at 85~90 and the tires dont squeal at all.
    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

ya gotta ask yourself, do i want badass cool looks and good handling, or do i want decent looks and great handling?

As Jesse said, it's all relative to spring rate. a 2" drop is too general...whats that 2" drop's spring rate? Sprints are pretty soft (IIRC) so you end up running out of spring (too soft) and the strut is forced to act solo, putting undue stress and strain and it will bottom out. Solution, increase spring rate to balance the spring to strut relationship, but within the means of the strut's capabilities.

On the flipside, if you have a 2" drop with a spring that is too stiff, you run out of dampening and the spring is now forced to act solo, making the ride very choppy and unpredictable. Solution, reduce spring rate to balance the spring to strut relationship, but within the means of the strut's capabilities.

relative term here is within the means of the strut's capabilities. There is no strut i know of off the shelf truly made for more than a 1" lowering. Now if you went the custom route, then the problem is solved immediately, because all of this will be taken into account when they are built.

Comment

ok are these ZX2 shocks the same ones that are on the Factory ZX2 or are they from a performance division of ford like SVT? where would i order them from and what would I ask for?

Comment

Originally posted by viper_707
          ok are these ZX2 shocks the same ones that are on the Factory ZX2 or are they from a performance division of ford like SVT? where would i order them from and what would I ask for?
          they are from the zx2 S/R
          Serenity's Dead.

Comment

I have KYB Gr2 shocks..
            Had them on my isuzu, have them on my mazda... They are great...
            I have ST springs..

I would have to try some zx2 struts... get one of the guys in montreal to let me have a ride.

Comment

Originally posted by viper_707
              Yes and no. They are from a stock ZX2... the S/R package. What sets the S/R package apart from, say, mine, is the fact that tons of aftermarket companies (Eibach, Tokico, Centerforce, Energy Suspension, etc) were working with Ford to have a factory performance package... It's not like SVT, where Ford produces its products in house, the S/R was basically one big sub-contract. You will need to ask for the ZX2 S/R struts... you can find them at MyFordPerformance.com, ZXTuner.com, or OEMFordParts.com.

Hope that helped.
              14x6 Miata 7-spoke alloys, 20mm Protege Swaybar, Progress Suspension Springs, Kemanized Intake with K&N Filtercharger, Iceman Cold Air Intake, B&M Short Throw Shifter, CWQ3 S/R PCM, and one hell of a reckless driver.

Euro ride: RHD 1990 Mazda 323F GT. Painfully stock.

Comment

thanks guys. i'll go to the dealership soon.

Comment

but wait should i use the zx2 eibachs (will they fit?) or just stick with the eibachs made for our car?

Comment

i have some arospeed coilovers im gonna install ill tell u all how that goes..but i heard its not gonna be too funn riding on those....but hey i been on cut 2.5 springs for 2 years..lol

Comment

i was gonna go with groundcontral coil overs. But i think i rather have true coil overs then none at all. Plus being low on cash doesn't help the fact that i can't afored them anyways

Comment

Make sure you go to a FordRacing dealership for them...regular dealerships don't carry FordRacing parts. The one I dealt with was located in Meadowvale and I hear talks on the MX3 board the only other one is Barrie. :shrug: When I talked to them in March/April of this year they informed me the set went down in price.

They are made by Tokico and damn good dampners in my opinion.

Anyway, if you need a hand, drop me a line...I have all the part numbers for the whole strut assembly. hehe.
                        My ClubProtege.com Feedback Thread

MOSI Race Dynamics
                        - Aftermarket Parts Sales & Services MOSI Race Dynamics Feedback Thread

Comment

well i have a dealer here that is also an svt dealer so i'll try them. if not i'll let ya know.

Comment

I have the zx2 struts and the eibach springs. I think they are wonderful! The car handles great and has impressed several people who underestimate the old pro.

MazdaSpeed - I got a question, since you are the suspension god around here.

What type of numbers should I expect the zx2 eibach setup to be at after an alignment, you know toe in camber and such? Not just anybody wants to align my setup and it is stock except for the struts and springs and urethane bushings.

Can I have a reliable setup without camber plates?

Thanks alot in advance.
                            David Page aka cablemirc is a sorry a$$ motherfunkin thief
                            He owes me $800.00 for leather seats he never delivered.
                            He doesn't even have enough honor to stay in touch.
                            If anyone knows how to contact him please let me know. clubprotege [at] evanjhoush [dot] com

Comment

they should be able to bring it really close to OEM spec. You may want to ask for a little negative camber, but leave the toe at zero.

No need for camber plates, unless you plan to race. You may need camber bolts at the most.

Comment

Everyone is referring to the Eibachs, but is it the Pro Kit or Sportline that you're talking about?

I can everyone one thing. NEVER get Monroe Sensatracs. Wore out in less than a year, although they were great when new.

I have the Pro Kit now, but when I'm done my engine build, I'm getting Ground Controls. Which strut has worked best with those? Any opinions?

Comment

Working...
                                X