No announcement yet.

Removal of the front sway bar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, it's alot of physics and without going into crazy jargon. The thick of it is a solid bar, by design cannot withstand as much shear preasure than a hollow bar. A solid bar cannot deflect the force away from it's center axis, as a hollow bar can, since the axis has an empty space to defelect the force. Thus incresing greatly it's shear tolerance. Shear, would be the twisting force.

Even by drilling out the solid bar (which would be impossible once bent) it would greatly increase it's shear tolerance.

Why is hollow better, well it can actually be stiffer than a solid bar. Now of course, has anyone ever twisted a 1" sway bar in half on a BG car....nope. So it's not really about how much shear it can handle but it's ability to deflect that force and continue with it's function.

In summary, if your racing for the championship cup, you'd probably want a hollow bar. If not, then your just fine with a solid bar.

Comment

I have the 24mm fixed front and 22mm adjustable rear bars on the car from here...
      Whiteline Suspensions 404 Page not found. The Page you are looking for could not be found. You either miss typed a url or went to a dead link.

GTR rear bar is definitely 19.1mm hollow, it's way lighter than the Whiteline bar, but the Whiteline adjustable is much stiffer, on the really stiff setting the car is a bit too tail happy.

GTR front bar looks like this...

Last edited by 323GT-R; 11-09-2004, 03:35 AM. Reason: Edited to get the links right...
      www.323gtx.co.uk
      www.323gtr.net

Comment

Total Sexyness!

Good info on solid

Comment

holy ****... what a difference between the GTR and USDM models.... that front K member.... lol is non existant.... crazy....
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

What would provide a stiffer front:
            Stock LX (GT) bar with ST add-on
            or
            ZX2 bar
            -Dave

Comment

OEM + ST = 22mm + 19mm

ZX2 = 24.5mm