ftjandra's big front brake install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ftjandra's big front brake install

Ok, so I just finished my own version of the Wilwood/11" 2-piece rotor combo for the front. Click on the pics for larger versions. They should be self-explanatory, but if you have any questions, just ask.

Original unmolested front 'ears':

'Ears' rounded and about 2mm shaved off the surface:

'Ears' painted to prevent rust, etc:

Original unmolested Wilwood Dynapro caliper (1.38" pistons; same as what Flyin' Miata and Goodwin Racing use in their kits, but they use the forged billet Dynalites):

Re-drilled Wilwood Dynapro caliper:

Small part filed off the edge of Wilwood Dynapro caliper:

Caliper mounted on car (backside) using one 2mm washer as a spacer. No brackets needed!:

Caliper mounted on car (frontside). 11" DBA 2-piece rotors from Goodwin Racing:

Caliper mounted on car (view of pads):

Caliper view through wheel:

Entire view with mounted wheel:

I don't have any pics of the hose, but I used a 1/8"NPT to -3AN straight fitting off the caliper and then a 90° -3AN fitting on one end of the hose and a M10x1.00 Inverted fitting on the other end, custom made by Bonaco Inc.. The frame end clips in like stock, but there is no fitting in the middle of the hose to clip onto the strut, so you have to be creative with that.

I haven't driven it enough yet to determine whether I need to install an adjustable proportioning valve. Right now, I have Carbotech XP12's in front and XP10's in the rear on Miata 10.9" Sport/big brakes. They seem to have great stopping power, even when cold, but do dust a lot.

Ok, I am off to test them on the track, so I won't be back for the entire day, but those pics should keep you guys busy .

--Ferdi
    Last edited by ftjandra; 01-05-2009, 09:16 PM.
    If you can't differentiate between brake and break, you should go back to school
    -----
    Miscellaneous Pics of Turbo Protege Build
    Big Front Brake Install using Wilwood Calipers
    Factory Service Manuals and Familia Brochures - PDF

Damn. That is awesome. I look forward to someday upgrading the 4WD to this.
    No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

what kit is this you bought and how much for it?
      In the Garage
      Black 93 MX-3 GS
      Bp powered
      GTR Drive Train

The ProjectMx build thread
      MyCardomain[/SIZE]

"Shut up, at least the bunnies are on fire!"

Comment

1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
        1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
        2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
        2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
        .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

What hubs are you running? GTR (he asked hopefully)?
          '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
          '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
          http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

gtr are 5 lug his app is 4
            In the Garage
            Black 93 MX-3 GS
            Bp powered
            GTR Drive Train

The ProjectMx build thread
            MyCardomain[/SIZE]

"Shut up, at least the bunnies are on fire!"

Comment

Thanks for the write up... You make it look too easy to do.. Will the 15" wheel fit with this set up?

Comment

Did you precision machine the ears and calipers? If so can you post the specifications of the machining? Very clean setup, I like it a lot as always.

Comment

oop, yep I see now, 4lug. Ah well, the gtr calipers have a pretty big swept area and with the right pads they seem to work well enough.
                  '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                  '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                  http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Interesting. Are you testing at Road Atlanta?

Definitely would like to hear your thoughts on proportioning. I don't know the piston area numbers off hand, but it seems like the Wilwoods in the front and the Miatas in the rear are going to have a significantly different area than the stock fronts/rears. I assume you're on the LX prop valve now?

Also, good cold bite on XP12/XP10? Compared to what, man? My XP8s don't like normal street driving.

Clint
                    Last edited by Struggly; 05-08-2008, 10:18 AM.
                    1994 Mazda Protege DX (261Kmiles): Eibach springs, Tokico struts, Addco sway bars, massively ghetto-fabulous OBX camber bolts set to max. -ve, Energy Suspension LCA bushings, disc brake conversion, Carbotech XP8 (front) and AX6 (rear) pads, ATE Superblue, 15x7 Kazera KZ-M w/ 205/50/15 Avon Tech Ra (track), 15x6 Miata wheels w/ 195/50/15 Hankook Ventus R-S2 (street) and 14" stock wheels w/ Blizzak WS-60 (ice racing), A/C delete, BP swap, POS Pacesetter (w/ leak), 2.25" custom exhaust, cage and full SCCA ITA prep possibly in the works...

1995 3000GT VR-4:Tein Flex, 332mm Stoptechs, manual steering conversion, custom brake lines with cockpit-mounted prop. valve, AWS delete, DSM sidemounts, full ATR single-exit, 13g/9b mismatch w/9psi WG springs, DN o2 housings, SAFC, AEM wideband, much more, etc.

1987 BMW 325is:Bilsteins/H&R Springs, very solid motor mounts, 220k - stodgy daily driver

Comment

looks good ferdi..... im personally not to fond of wilwood calipers & the lack of dust seals but, its very impressive none the less
                      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by Lex View Post
                        Did you precision machine the ears and calipers? If so can you post the specifications of the machining? Very clean setup, I like it a lot as always.
                        No real precision needed since the backside of the ear remains untouched and that's where the Wilwood mounts to. Basically, there needs to be 4" in between the ears because that's the width of the pad. And, the face needs to be ground down so that the new rotor wont touch it.

--Ferdi
                        If you can't differentiate between brake and break, you should go back to school
                        -----

Comment

Originally posted by Struggly View Post
                          Interesting. Are you testing at Road Atlanta?

Definitely would like to hear your thoughts on proportioning. I don't know the piston area numbers off hand, but it seems like the Wilwoods in the front and the Miatas in the rear are going to have a significantly different area than the stock fronts/rears. I assume you're on the LX prop valve now?

Also, good cold bite on XP12/XP10? Compared to what, man? My XP8s don't like normal street driving.

Clint
                          Well, I blew the tranny... This was at Little Talladega in Alabama. So, I only got to use the new brakes for like 5 laps , but they felt good. I was hoping to test them out later in the day since it was supposed to rain. The cold bite is way stronger than the Hawk HPS pads I was running before, but those were on the stock LX brakes. Correct on the LX prop valve.

--Ferdi
                          -----

Comment

Originally posted by Clean 4WD View Post
                            Thanks for the write up... You make it look too easy to do.. Will the 15" wheel fit with this set up?
                            Yes, I am using 15" wheels now, but I know they wouldn't clear 15" Enket RP-F1's.

--Ferdi
                            -----

Comment

Originally posted by ftjandra View Post
                              No real precision needed since the backside of the ear remains untouched and that's where the Wilwood mounts to. Basically, there needs to be 4" in between the ears because that's the width of the pad. And, the face needs to be ground down so that the new rotor wont touch it.

--Ferdi
                              What about the holes drilled into the caliper? Just used calipers to measure them out? Essentially how did you know where to drill them?

You're making this look easy

Comment

Working...
                              X