No announcement yet.

cheep springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Takea look at this thread these are true coilovers. The gold part is the perch and adjusts up and down on the threads cut into the actual body of the strut.

Coilover kits, commonly termed in the import performance world, are usually kits that allow these types of springs to install onto your current OEM struts or OEM type replacement struts (beit performance or not) They'll come witha threaded sleeve, spring percheds, springs and a few other parts. The large lower perch of your current or conventional strut will most likely need to be cut off, in or to allow the sleeve to slide down as low as possible for rigidity and strength.

The better kits (mainly GC) use a standard race spring at 2.5" diameter and come in ANY rate or length you want or need, as well as helper or tender springs. Helper springs are just there to keep the spring tension when the car fully unloads (i.e. dukes of hazzard airborn, or when jacking up the car) so the spring does not get loose and fall off the its perches. Eibach and Hypercoil make em, but if you order a basic GC kit, you'll have to be spcefic on what rates and lengths you want. You may need to go direct to GC if you want/need different rates that what the kit comes with. I suggest a MAXIMUM of 250# front and 200# rear for street use and even that is kinda pushing it. If your running OEM struts, upgrade them at the same time. You won't be happy with the setup if you don't.

Comment

What spring rate are you running on your new setup, do you know? I might just have to look into Dynamic Suspensions stuff if I can't get my hands on a Ford Racing set. Damn their discontinuation of it! I was just biding my time until i got my engine swap done, but I should've just bought them before they stopped production. grrr.

--sarge

Comment

Originally posted by red90protegelx
        Mark Avery -
        This is a definition problem. Usually the word coilovers is used to describe springs and struts/shocks designed as a set. A set of these would replace your stock springs and struts.

Ground Control and Skunk2 make springs attached to a tube that fits over your strut allowing for ride height adjustability. Confusingly they call these coilovers as well.

Back to your original question. The Ground Control type use springs too stiff for stock struts, so yes, you will need to upgrade. My advice, save your pennies and buy real coilovers. You'll save yourself the hastle of a mix and match suspension.

taken from naisoc
        Don't tell me you're on NASIOC too now.
        2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Originally posted by SgtRauksauff
          What spring rate are you running on your new setup, do you know? I might just have to look into Dynamic Suspensions stuff if I can't get my hands on a Ford Racing set. Damn their discontinuation of it! I was just biding my time until i got my engine swap done, but I should've just bought them before they stopped production. grrr.

--sarge
          As the kit comes new (as i'm told) 300# fronts and 500# rears. BUt then i'm told (by a more reliable source) that the 300# springs are actually 325# springs....I felt the 500# in the rear would be like running without tires and the ass end sliding all over, especially with a thicker rear sway bar, so they now reside up front and the 325#ers to the rear. Plus, since i'm running just the OEM sway bar up front with upgraded bushings, the 500# springs would take up some of that slack.

This weekend will be the first ontrack test, so we'll see how they do. I feel pretty confident they will do pretty damn well. Just gotta play with all combinations of settings on both damper and ride hieght.

You may also want to look at PPC, they have some pretty nice stuff at good prices.

Comment

Originally posted by charles
            Don't tell me you're on NASIOC too now.
            i have always lurked

Comment

Here are a few other pics of a true coilover system.
              Attached Files

Comment

close up. here you can see the threads on which the perch is adjusted.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X