Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making a turbo Z5

Hello everyone

I have read quite a few posts but not posted much myself. I originally thought when I got this car it would be fairly easy to upgrade the power but found out their isn't much available to us and it seems that is one of the phrases I read the most. So I figured if no one does anything about it there will never be anything available to us.

I started scavaging parts and reading information on how turbo's work and what parts are available out their and recently felt comfortable enough to finally tear into my car and got started trying to change the way a 2nd gen performs.

Parts I have

garrett t3 turbo from a dodge daytona
    ford probe intercooler
    rrfpr from a dodge daytona
    fuel pump from an rx7
    27 lb injectors
    2 1/4 exhaust
    boost guage

Parts coming next friday

SAFC piggy back

I will post pics through out the install and I am open to any helpful information anyone has to offer.

I know it's spelled protege! I just can't change it. Deal with it!

Wow. Major props to you for taking the initiative! Good luck, and I hope you pull this off.

Comment

exactly what intruder said. another thing i bet a lot of people would be asking you as you go along is the cost of all these. good luck

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
      Mods:
      DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
      http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

I bought the car for $1100 dollars from a friend who owns a car lot. I planned on making it turbo charged and adding susspension for a total budget of $2000 or less. Here is a list of the parts I purchased and how much I spent so far, and the parts I need to get still.

Turbo - 125 at a junkyard guarenteed for 3 months

RRFPR - 10 at the same junkyard off of dodge daytona. specs are 45psi under vaccum, 55psi at 0 vaccum 65psi at 10lb's of boost and 75psi at 20lb's

27lb injectors - 25 off of dodge daytona looks like they will fit well but I am not going to put them on until I get an SAFC or I will run rich when I am not under boost, and set an error message.

oil pressure sending unit - 5 off of the dodge daytona and it replaces the stock one on the protege. I did this because it has a line conection for the turbo oil line built into it and it screws right in to the protege.
        Intercooler - 35 off of a 92 ford probe

2 1/4 exhaust - 56 at les schwab. Take the stock exhaust off of your car at the down pipe and take it in with you. They will bend it to match your stock exhaust. They will ask you about your catalytic converter so tell them you have an aftermarket one you are putting on. cut the hangers off your old exhaust and have them welded on your new pipe one at a time as well as the downpipe flange, start at the front flange first and bolt it up while supporting the exhaust up with wire or a coat hanger, then go down the line spot welding the rest till it fits well and then finish your welds.

manifold adaper for a t3 turbo flange - 35 the parts to make this where 35 dollars but if I were to do it again I would have the patience to order a t3 flange and weld it on instead of the hardware store parts I got and the header reducer I used to bolt to the stock manifold.

additional pluming and hanging hardware - 70 this stuff cost a lot more than I thought it would and I still need more stuff but the additional safety and performance of an intercooler is worth it.

Comment

I will have to finish posting later but I should also have new pics and I will make them linked (thanks Intruder).

Comment

great info, keep it coming.

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
            Mods:
            DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
            http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

Sorry I haven't been posting lately but my brothers birthday was on the fourth and we got pretty slammed for a few days. I took today off of work so I could finish this up and get my car back. If all go's well today I will be cruising and tuning the car this evening. I will repost then with some pics.

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

great ****ing job, let us know how it goes.
                  proud owner of a 13lb 5 ounce porker baby boy. no longer the proud owner of the car below, it now belongs to 95pro.

Comment

Well i hope this is Mitch. Because I'm stopping by your house if thats the case just to see how it goes. I'm kinda disappointed your car is going to be running before mine. I just need to go buy a voltmeter from Advanced and figure out how to determine what is the negative and positive wire from the disty.
                    Don't have a car anymore... cry with me

Comment

I'm very impressed you're taking the initiative, great job! I'm anxious to see how it works out
                      Dan
                      dreesemonkey

Comment

Good Luck Z5 Turbo Its Not Really Worth It Because Of Its Higher Compression And Liter Size 1.5 1.8 Is The Way To Go

If Your Looking For More Speed Bore Out The 1.8 To A 2.0 And Go With The Higher Boost And Destroy The Honda's And Other

Have Fun With It

Comment

Originally posted by jay1
                          If Your Looking For More Speed Bore Out The 1.8 To A 2.0 And Go With The Higher Boost And Destroy The Honda's And Other
                          And you know this from personal experience?

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
                            And you know this from personal experience?

WELL KNOT FROM MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE BUT ITS MY OPINION STOCK THE 1.8 BEAT THE 1.5 BY 4OR5 CARS SO WITH TURBO THE 1.5 SHOULD MAYBE JUST KEEP UP BUT WONT LAST TO LONG

Comment

Originally posted by jay1
                              WELL KNOT FROM MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE BUT ITS MY OPINION STOCK THE 1.8 BEAT THE 1.5 BY 4OR5 CARS SO WITH TURBO THE 1.5 SHOULD MAYBE JUST KEEP UP BUT WONT LAST TO LONG

Comment

Working...
                              X