No announcement yet.

Making a turbo Z5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this forum still alive? I am from Slovakia. I own 1996 Mazda 323 1.5 Z5 65kW. I am very new into performance upgrades and stuff like that. I just think I'd like to give it a try. The problem is that here in Slovakia if you say tuning it is just visual tuning, performance-wise guys here are pretty lame. What would you guys recommend me to start with. My mileage is 130 000 km what something like 80000 miles. I was thinking about cold air intake, high flow catalytic converter and some performance exhaust system. Do you have any idea where should I look for it? And if it is good idea at all - I need this car to be in working order.
    Thanks!

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, we're still alive, haha. There is no bolt-on performance upgrades for the Z5. The CAI and exhaust is a good way to go. I don't think there is a bolt-on cat-back or anything for these cars either, could be wrong though, since I still have not found one. Most people on here will tell you to swap in the 1.8L BP. You've got more choices of what to do with a BP than a Z5.

Comment

is this the right place to ask if 1.5L turbo stuff will fit a 1.6L?

i wish i could see the freakn photos man

Comment

There is no 1.5 turbo stuff. Unless it's custom built.

Comment

Originally posted by irishkev90 View Post
            1.8 then?

According to wiki there is a E5T engine
            Originally posted by irishkev90 View Post
            1.8 then?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Comment

Not sure how well that stuff would work. If you could even find it. Something I've heard people doing is swapping the Z5 head for a B6. The B6 has a turbo set up and everything should just bolt together.

Not sure how much power you could get out of it or what kind of engine management you'd need.

Comment

Can the z5 bolt up to a gseries box ? aslo what combination of flywheel and clutch and pressure plate will be used in this set up ?

Comment

Originally posted by rudeboy1000 View Post
                  Can the z5 bolt up to a gseries box ? aslo what combination of flywheel and clutch and pressure plate will be used in this set up ?
                  Yes, it will bolt up, though your front and rear mounts might be different. As for clutch/flywheel, I'm using an F1 Stage 3 kit for a 1.6L Miata. Just make sure you get a throwout/release bearing for the G-series as the shaft is a big bigger than whatever was bolted to the 1.6L Miata.

You might need to check your axles, too. The G-series from a Kia Sephia has a 28 spline diff while the G-series from Mazdas and Fords used a 26 spline.

Speaking of axles, the G-series intermediate shaft might be longer, putting its mounting point to the back of the engine ever so slightly out of line with the holes in the back of the block. I made a bracket for my car, but you could probably get away with just slotting the holes in the mount to reach the mounting holes in the back of the Z5.

Edit: Here's a link to one of my posted outlining what I needed for the Kia G-series to work with a Z5: http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...l=1#post813726
                  I condensed the important information into that last post, but the whole thread might be useful to go through.
                  Last edited by irishkev90; 07-26-2021, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X