No announcement yet.

Z5+B6+turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they sold 1.6 in the philippines, i am just not sure what they call it, if its a B6 or what.

just a thought, so if i go back to the philippines and the 1.6 that they have on their pro's are indeed B6 i can take the top end, intake manifold, exhaust manifold and i should be able to put that on top of the bottom end of the Z5 without having to worry about electrical and whatnot?
    Last edited by beetle_orange; 11-06-2005, 07:27 AM.

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
    Mods:
    DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

a lot of crx's have the b6, if it is a bolt on switch i will definitely do this, could you explain how you did this please?

Comment

he already explained how to do it....wtf

My only question is the wiring for the TPS and IAC...did it interchange?

I shoved one of these 1.6 dohc's into my old festiva this past september and the wiring was WAY different from the older 1st gen proteges, but yes..it was simialr to the 2nd gens. I haven't disected & looked at my 2nd gens wiring enough to figure out the diff's but the distributor & maf setups are identical between engines. I wouldnt' be surrpsied if you could use the Z5 harness w/the B6 ecu.
        93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
        02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
        05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

Originally posted by strutman
          a lot of crx's have the b6, if it is a bolt on switch i will definitely do this, could you explain how you did this please?
          Dude, its a B6 not a B16. We're talking Mazda engines not Hondas.
          Ryan The middle child is always ignored
          BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
          Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Does anyone know the actual code for the DOHC B6? My guess is B6-DE...? We should start using the proper code so someone doesn't go out and get a SOHC head!

The B6 is a carburated SOHC 1.6L in the BF 323s. The B6E is the fuel injected version in the BG 90-94 323s. As far as I know, the only car with the normaly aspirated DOHC 1.6L was the MX-3.

Gro, I think he said he swapped over the Z5 TPS. I just remembered also that we can swap the entire throttle body since one of our members (mig360m) was using the 1.6L tb on the Z5.
            Last edited by Shaun32390; 11-06-2005, 01:24 PM.
            1998 Mazda BHALP SE - Rain Forest Green Mica

Pacesetter short shifter ; Depo tails (thanks beetle_orange) ; Custom CAI nearing completion ; CF hood on the way ; Brembo blanks & KVR pads to be inst. (thanks Pigeon) ; Goodridge brake lines to be inst. ;

Much more to come...

Comment

Originally posted by midnightblue97
              Dude, its a B6 not a B16. We're talking Mazda engines not Hondas.
              Show him where the door is. lol

beetle, you don't have to go all the way to the Phillippines to get a B6 head.

That B6 is found in some MX3's, and KIA's too. I saw one at the junkyard. It looks just like a BP at first, but look closer and you realize it's something else.

About a year ago someone came on this forum and asked for help with identifying his engine. Here's the thread: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12538 Check it out!

That's his Protege with a B6:

That's the B6 from a KIA:

And that's the same engine in a MX-3:

Comment

I've got a Miata B6 that I might sell or part out if I feel like it at some point.
                Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

TwinCam16, are you using the ECU from the Z5 also or the the 1.6L ECU?

The intake manifold you are using looks like the 1.6's. Is this correct?

Which exhaust manifold are you using? Does the 1.6L in Barbados have a precat?

Edit: Nevermind about the exhaust manifold...looks like a custom turbo manifold. Do you know if the Z5 exhaust manifold fits the 1.6L head?
                  Last edited by Shaun32390; 11-06-2005, 01:37 PM.

Pacesetter short shifter ; Depo tails (thanks beetle_orange) ; Custom CAI nearing completion ; CF hood on the way ; Brembo blanks & KVR pads to be inst. (thanks Pigeon) ; Goodridge brake lines to be inst. ;

Much more to come...

Comment

No the z5 manifold has round ports and the b6 has oval ports. Also the main advantage to swapping a b6 head would be to turbo it and their is no turbo manifold for the z5.

I know it's spelled protege! I just can't change it. Deal with it!

Comment

Project Protoge beat me to it, but here's a graphical explanation of why the exhaust manifold won't work.

MX-3 models
                      92-93: SOHC and V6
                      94-96: DOHC and V6

Part numbers
                      Exhaust manifold gasket: B6S7-13-460
                      Ex. manifold: B6CK-13-451A
                      Pre-cat:
                      94,95 B6CK-20-500B
                      96 CALIF B6GD-20-500B (same as Z5 CALIF)
                      96 FED Z502-20-500 (same as Z5 FED)
                      Attached Files

Comment

The intake manifolds are way different too. The B6 has a two-piece intake manifold, while the Z5 is a one-piece.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Great info!

Intruder, are those diagrams from the FSM?

Do we know of any differences between the B6-ZE in the MX-3 and those in the BH Proteges?

So (assuming we keep the Z5 bottom end), I guess we would need the B6-ZE head complete with manifolds. And the stock precat would bolt up. We could swap the distributor and sensors (maybe the whole tb), and use our stock wiring.

I guess we would use the Z5 ECU since the engine would still be a 1.5 (because the extra displacement comes from the stroke; bottom end) and most of the Z5 sensors would be used.

This is extremely appealing! We would be getting a more confident valvetrain, the potential to use the B6T turbo components, and parts compatibility with any B6-ZE/B6-ZET aftermarket mods (cam gears, cams, etc)!
                          Last edited by Shaun32390; 11-06-2005, 05:42 PM.

Much more to come...

Comment

Indeed, it is very appealing. The diagrams came from the parts catalog.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
                              the B5-ZE and B6-ZE on the BHA5P and BHA6P had VICS intake manifolds
                              Very nice.

Originally posted by TheMAN
                              ... both the B5 and B6 engines have the same 78mm bore... 2.7mm larger than the Z5....
                              TheMAN, you said the bore is different between the Z5 block and B6-ZE head? I thought so..

That means we should actually swap the B6-ZE block also...or bore the Z5 block. However if it has to come out of the car, might as well chuck it and put the B6 block back in.

2.7mm = a 1.35mm edge all around the combustion chamber where the head meets the block. It must work ok if TwinCam16 has a turbo running on it that way.

Much more to come...

Comment

I was researching this a while ago and now I have no idea why I stopped. This looks like the best way to go. With just the head swap you don't have to worry about motor mounts or transmission splines and flywheels. You get more aftermarket and tons of potential. Well I was going to surprise some of you with this but it almost seems useless now.

I got a hold of jgs tools and they are willing to make turbo manifolds for us. If we got more than 10 ordered they would be $175 plus shipping.

I know it's spelled protege! I just can't change it. Deal with it!

Comment

Working...
                                X