No announcement yet.

Z5+B6+turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do you figure there's more 2nd gen BP's here than in the west coast?

what i meant with my CA/IL comment was that, i think there's more cars in CA, more cars means different trims, more cars means more JY. i've been going to my local yard quite a while in last month was my first time to see a 2nd gen LX.

thanks hommie for the headsup if a 2nd gen pops up.

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
    Mods:
    DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

So is the head from the b6ze better designed than the 98 true dohc z5's, and if so what makes them better?

I know it's spelled protege! I just can't change it. Deal with it!

Comment

Yes i am using the Z5 ECU
        Assumption is the mother of all fcukups

Comment

Well I found that the stock valve spring pressure on the z5 head is only 29-32psi at 1.24in but I can't find #s for the b6ze. The information I have found so far shows the z5 has a slightly more aggresive cam setup but only by a little. That also means that you wouldn't have to worry about the valves on the b6ze head hitting the pistons by opening to far.

I know it's spelled protege! I just can't change it. Deal with it!

Comment

Originally posted by TwinCam16
            Yes i am using the Z5 ECU
            How about wiring? sensors?

Mods:
            DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.

Comment

u guys are giving me a head ache. The swap is very very simple.
              same throttle body, TPS, distributor, injector harness, coolant temperature sensor, are used back. and i am using the Z5 ecu and harnes that the car originally came with.. if u read my original post u would see that i did have in the full B6 at one point and i didn't have to change any of the mounts, because i used back the same F series gearbox,(which is surprisingly holding strong so far and i know they are week, killed one already and i was still aspirated) I also plan to put in the BP using the same ecu and wiring and sensors.
              and for those of u that think it can't be done, u will be proven wrong because i have already done it to a friend of mine car.
              By the way i am using a Perfect Power SMT 6 piggyback, just to keep things safe and from being irratic on boost, but the swaps can be done with just a FPR and what eva injectors u choose once ur not going be turbo

Comment

now i am really having a headache.

Mods:

Comment

Therefore what we are talkin about will be an easy swap since u would already have the TB and TPS and all the sensors from ur already existing Z5.
                  oh yeh i did change to the BP throttle because it is lager and it has the cold start built into it as oppose to the Z5 which has it seperate and the TPS from that is working perfectly with the Z5 ecu.
                  so lookin are ur part numbers not going help you unless u do like me and actually try it

Comment

I believe TwinCam16 is saying he is using the BP tb, BP TPS, Z5 distributor, Z5 temp sensor, and Z5 injector harness on the B6 head. Not so much that the parts are the same, but that they interchange (and work with the Z5 ECU & harness). I hope this is the case.

Now IF we could swap the whole B6-ZE in with ALL Z5 electronics (ECU, all sensors, harness, and accessories), I wonder if it would run proper with only increased fuel pressure/injectors?

TwinCam16 says he had the complete B6-ZE in at one time, and that he ran his with the Z5 harness, Z5 ECU, and a piggyback. Am I getting this right?

TwinCam16, do all the other remaining connectors on the B6-ZE plug into the Z5 harness no problem?
                    Last edited by Shaun32390; 11-07-2005, 11:00 PM.
                    1998 Mazda BHALP SE - Rain Forest Green Mica

Pacesetter short shifter ; Depo tails (thanks beetle_orange) ; Custom CAI nearing completion ; CF hood on the way ; Brembo blanks & KVR pads to be inst. (thanks Pigeon) ; Goodridge brake lines to be inst. ;

Much more to come...

Comment

yes they all interchange, but please don't go by the book. i have seen many variations of teh Z5 and many variations of the BP and the harness and the disstributors that are used.
                      what was published in books have not been kept constant for every car. and for me to connect my piggyback i had to test each wire individually with a scope. because no wire diagram that i used was 100% correct. not the ones posted on this site or even the ones found in the service manual, they were always some slight variation.

Now IF we could swap the whole B6-ZE in with ALL Z5 electronics (ECU, all sensors, harness, and accessories), I wonder if it would run proper with only increased fuel pressure/injectors?
                      yes that would be what i am sayin, because that is the way it tried it and got it to work, except the BP TPS that i am using on the Z5 ecu. the actual mechanical makeup of the 2 sensors are different so they are not interchangeble, but there connector outputs are the same. it just pluged it back up
                      Last edited by TwinCam16; 11-07-2005, 11:09 PM. Reason: left out a word

Comment

This all sounds too good to be true.
                        Like was mentioned, I'm still concerned about differences between the models you guys got and those we got here.
                        I also wonder about the differences between the B6-ZE in the BHAs and the B6-ZE that came in the MX-3...

I think GroHarlem should try this swap.

Mr. MX-3 would straighten all this out in no time.

Pacesetter short shifter ; Depo tails (thanks beetle_orange) ; Custom CAI nearing completion ; CF hood on the way ; Brembo blanks & KVR pads to be inst. (thanks Pigeon) ; Goodridge brake lines to be inst. ;

Much more to come...

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
                          dude, no one ever said the **** won't interchange.... the fact is, the parts aren't the same, that's all

isn't it better to use parts that it was meant to go with or at least upgrade to better (BP) ones?
                          You're right. I'm just getting a little excited thinking it may be possible to do the swap with little or no wiring changes. That would be too sweet!

Much more to come...

Comment

The car that i got my b6 from was actually an 1998 Astina/Lantis and it had all the same sensors except for the air flow meter, cause that is the car that now has the BP in it using the B6 ecu and harness. It had the same TPS, cold start sensor, coolant sensor, and distributor.
                            But what is a true fact is that there maybe some variation to the enignes that are offered to the american market

Comment

well guys just though i would let you know that i have everything that is needed to do the head swap but i am in school right know so i will not be able to do the swap until christmas break or i get another car to drive. I will see if this works in about a month. I will keep everyone informed about my progress.

Comment

that would be awesome. make sure to take lots of pictures.

Mods:

Comment

Working...
                                X