Clear All

Pictures are overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
      Pictures are overrated.
      maybe part numbers?

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
      Mods:
      DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
      http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

so i didnt notice, have you had it on the dyno yet????
        .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
        225.94wtq
        torque monster!!!!
        dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
        http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
        http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Pictures, part numbers, and/or a detailed how to would be greatly appreciated.

The thing about a Z5 is even though it might make 92hp @ 5500, if you take it there all the time you're asking for trouble. With this head at least you could give 'er hell when you want to! The turbo parts availability is just a large bonus IMO.
          1998 Mazda BHALP SE - Rain Forest Green Mica

Pacesetter short shifter ; Depo tails (thanks beetle_orange) ; Custom CAI nearing completion ; CF hood on the way ; Brembo blanks & KVR pads to be inst. (thanks Pigeon) ; Goodridge brake lines to be inst. ;

Much more to come...

Comment

The other plus about this conversion is that by puttin on this head u effectively lower the compression of the cylinder. this allows you to run the turbo safer. The reason that the compression is lowerd is because the bore is different, the combustion chanber is much larger than the Z5 head
            Assumption is the mother of all fcukups

Comment

so on the b6 head you wouldn't be able to use the z5 intake or exhaust manifold you have to get the b6 ones right!

Comment

i really have no clue on the parts number i just pulled them from a j/y to use. i will try to get a digital camera to take pics of the whole process and i will try to give an indepth how to when i start the swap.

i also will be turboing when i finish the head swap.

and no the z5 manifold will not work.
                Last edited by prowise; 11-09-2005, 11:56 AM.

Comment

hi im new on this forum and i have a standard z5 engine on my 97 lantis. i wish to turbocharge it and i was reading this topic....has anyone ever had any thoughts about pistons? is the standard engine block strong enuf for the turbo?

Comment

I am running 10psi on mine and i have been doing that for the past 3 months. so in terms of experience that is the most i can put my head on the block for

Comment

Have you gone to a dyno? Do you plan on going?

Comment

In barbados there is only one Dyno..and for the average person it is quite expensive to do dyno runs....it is basically utilised by rally cars and performance mechanics. what has strangely worked here is what is called seat-of-the-pants tuning. where u tune the car till it feels fast and the guages all read safe parameters. we have been praised by others from different islands and countrys who have visited us and can't understand how we get the cars to work so well without the Dyno time.

Comment

Intriguing and disappointing.

Comment

Barbados is like my country then!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D so im assuming it wudnt be a gud idea to run a standard z5 with a smallish turbo on it. but with the B6 head a turbo cud fit since the head is more durable.

Comment

Well you could run a turbo on the Z5 if there was a manifold available to hang it. The Z5 was never sold as a turbocharged engine so no one realy knows how it would hold up to a little boost.
                              What we do know is that the Z5 can develop problems under spirited driving even without a turbo. So the decision is up to the individual. If one is confident that the skill, resouces, and knowledge are available to him, then it's a decent idea.

On the other hand, the B6 series of engines varied in production from SOHC to turbo and have been proven to be reliable and extremely durable in every car they've been used in from BF 323 GTXs to Miatas and MX-3s.

There are two main reasons why the B6-ZE head is a good option. First is the proven reliability and durability mentioned above. The second is the availability of factory turbo parts like most importantly a manifold, turbo, piping, etc.

So the questions are:
                              - What do you want?
                              - What do you have the resouces for?
                              - How much work are you willing to do?

Keep in mind that BP and BPT swaps have been/are being done that may provide higher return on investment than either a B6-ZE head + turbo or a B6T swap. (Of course, this is assuming all this B6/Z5 hybrid stuff is as easy as it seems)

Now regarding the decrease in compression with the 1.6L top end. I would hope that the increase in flow capability of the B6-ZE head would make up for any reduction even without the turbo...This may not be the case.
                              1998 Mazda BHALP SE - Rain Forest Green Mica

Pacesetter short shifter ; Depo tails (thanks beetle_orange) ; Custom CAI nearing completion ; CF hood on the way ; Brembo blanks & KVR pads to be inst. (thanks Pigeon) ; Goodridge brake lines to be inst. ;

Much more to come...

Comment

Good rundown. Their are a few things I should mention though. The decrease in compression with the 1.6l head would be good if you are turboing the car. It will allow you to run more boost than if you had higher compression. The difference is higher compression would yeild more torque while lower compression yeilds more hp. The difference in compression would not be good if you do not plan on turbocharging the b6ze head due to the loss of torque and without a turbo you will lose some hp too. One thing I havn't seen yet though is a comparison on cam lift and duration on the stock z5 and the stock b6ze. That would be the only thing to bring the hp back up but not the torque.

A turbo manifold is available for the z5 but it is nothing special. While not pretty is will do the job and probably better than a pretty manifold due to the fact that the ID of the pipe would be smaller which would allow for higher velocity exhaust gasses and quicker spool up times. The only drawback to the manifold is that you will have to have a shop weld the flange onto it for whatever turbo you are using in whatever location you choose to put your turbo. The manifolds are made by JGS tools. I was going to try and set up a group buy but I am waiting to put my new engine in and see for sure if the z5 valve train holds up to the abuse of a turbo before I endorce people turboing their stock z5's.

I know it's spelled protege! I just can't change it. Deal with it!

Comment

Working...
                                X