No announcement yet.

2nd gen GTR swap on the way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet...what did the total cost end up being?

<marquee>'97 Tan LX 5-speed-Clear corners, "poor mans" grill, 15in. Gunmetal/Polished Konig Holes covered with Dunlop GT Qualifiers, B&M short shifter installed and lovin it, custom leather black leather boot, MazdaSpeed Shift knob, Eibach Pro-Kit, Custom cold air intake Head Unit-Pioneer DEH-3500MP Speakers-Sony Xplod XS-V1621(3-way)6.5s(Front Doors) Infinity 652i(2-way)6.5s(Rear Doors) Pioneer TS-A6990R(5-way)6x9s(Rear Deck) Amps-Kenwood KAC-7201/Pioneer GM-X352 Subs-2-JL 12 W3s in Dual box, redone LED 3rd brake light(doesn't look like crap anymore). More I.C.E. on the way.</marquee>
    Formerly '90 White Miata w/ 2 8" Laser Blue stripes
    I hate the short nose crankshaft. It took my car away from me.

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
      I was wondering what happened...
      Awesome! Post more info as soon as you can.
      what would you like to know? i don't have time right now to post everything i've done (school ownz) but my car is my reference and i can always go back and refer to it.

Originally posted by asylum24
      how much did you trim off to get it to fit right or did you have to trim at all?
      i had to trim roughly 3.5 inches off from the back of that radiator vent. i used a dremel with a cutting blade to take it off. not to mention steady hands.

Originally posted by MazdaMania
      Sweet...what did the total cost end up being?
      too much is what i have to say. i realized that after buying a lot of parts, i didn't need alot of the stuff. the front clip ran about $3000 and all i ended up using was the engine, wiring harness and everything attached it, and the ECU. tranmission was overpriced and i didn't need much of what i got. a round-about figure of everything would probably be about $5K, but i'm sure you can do it in $3K.

Comment

Sup guys ...

I am doing a GTR swap

into this beast here

And this beast here ....

is getting a the 2nd gen 1.8L with a T3/T04E with only 20,000km on the motor.

Last edited by Black_91_GT; 04-05-2004, 09:26 AM.

- 95 323 Neo + GT-R ( http://323.a-spec.ca )
        - 90 Protege GT
        - 91 Protege 4WD
        - 93 323 + T3/T04E

Comment

How did you get that car ? Glad to see you found a GTR engine. Goodluck

Comment

awesome, i don't know what's different between the 323 neo and our 2nd gen, but it should be a farely similar swap. and yes, that does look like a gtr engine by the way the heatshield looks. if you have questions, ask me.

shots of your neo's engine bay would be nice.

tim
            Last edited by PseudoR; 04-05-2004, 01:12 PM.

Comment

DUDE, where'd you get that rear suspension assembly? do you have extra's? i might need one sometime in the near future...

Comment

the 323 neo has the same engine bay as the 2nd gen protege.
                The engine should go in, but you will have to convert the car to a 1st gen basically.
                This could spell trouble if you live in a state that does smog.
                photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

He's in Ontario, well black_91gt is. We might be getting rid of E-testing in the next couple years so............
                  Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                  BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                  Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

What am i going to do about wireing ?

Use the 2nd gen stuff ?

Use the 1st gen stuff ?

How similar are the pinouts on the harnes ?

What have you guys done ?

- 90 Protege GT
                    - 91 Protege 4WD
                    - 93 323 + T3/T04E

Comment

black_91_gt,
                      you should put the gtr in the 1gen protege. and then use the 2gen 1.8L bp w/ t3/t04e in the neo. that'll make things much easier, i suppose.
                      Almost there

jdm tails... check
                      jdm bumper... check
                      ms lip... check
                      ms grill... check
                      ms sideskirts... check
                      ms rear skirts... check
                      ms spoiler... check
                      ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
                      Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

the 1st and 2nd gen plugs for the dash harness are really different. The ECU plugs are similar, but then you still have to check that for yourself. You will need a Haynes manual and most likely a FSM.
                        You may have to custom the dash harness together or move pins around or something.
                        photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

it looks like from your website you have the complete wiring harness and all the sensors/devices that are attached to it. everything you need for your engine to run properly is on that main harness. when you take out the engine from your neo, you can take out all the stuff that's attached to your neo's main harness as well. you won't need it since you'll have a different ecu.

3 out of the 4 motor mounts to hold the motor in will be attached to the transmission. so assuming you aren't changing the transmission, then all you need to do is to bolt up the gtr engine to your current tranny and everything should fall into place. the gtr flywheel won't work since it protrudes too much, so you'll have to use the neo's flywheel/clutch or upgrade to a 1st gen LX (225mm) flywheel/clutch. whichever combo you choose, you'll have to get the starter that goes with it. you'll also have to mix/match/buy brackets in order for you to use the 2nd gen's a/c, steering pump, and alternator. that way, you don't have to modify the lines. you will also need to custom run cooling hoses from the firewall to your engine, and a hose from your brake booster to the intake manifold.

as for wiring, there are two points on the harness where you'll have to interface it with your 2nd gen harness: at the main fuse box and the white and black connectors that are near the ecu connectors. for the fuse box, suprisingly most of it is just matching colors. i had to add a few wires of my own to run into the interior of the car, though, and i haven't figured out what all the wires are for yet; just enough for my engine to run. The white and black connectors that go into the interior are mainly for your cluster. inorder for your car to run all you need to do is to hook up 2 wires to the ecu, the 'start sign' (violet?) to the ignition starter wire (black/blue?) and a constant power wire to the ecu (forgot which one)
                          i can give you those when i go back home to my car this weekend (hopefully).

next you need to make your fuel pump come on when your key is in the 'ON' position. i couldn't find where the fuel pump relay was, so i just tapped into the wires coming from the fuel pump and and gave it 12V from an accessory wire.

the last thing you need to do is to give power to the ignition coil when the key is in the 'ON' position. we just tapped one of the wires from the fuse box and hooked it up to one of the wires on the coil...

...and badda-bing-badda-boom your car should start.

note: this is all off the top of my head there maybe some stuff i forgot, but that should be the majority of it to give you an idea of what you need to do.

i wish you a safe journey.
                          tim

Comment

I want to baby the GTR motor .... and put in something that i ( my mom ) can drive everyday .... if i blow that motor i won't be able to repair it with teh proper parts. Plus i think it is neat having a rare motor in a rare 323

The other motor is going into the 1st gen 323 and it is going to get beat on a lot ... only gonna race it and drive it once in a while ( it won't be the primary car )

Originally posted by 95pro
                            black_91_gt,
                            you should put the gtr in the 1gen protege. and then use the 2gen 1.8L bp w/ t3/t04e in the neo. that'll make things much easier, i suppose.

- 90 Protege GT
                            - 91 Protege 4WD
                            - 93 323 + T3/T04E

Comment

Please make me a better write up when you have time ....

I will see if i can get the pinouts from the 2st gen ECU i have the GTR pinouts on the site.

Looks like i got to do some reading

- 90 Protege GT
                              - 91 Protege 4WD
                              - 93 323 + T3/T04E

Comment

Why not use a GT series turbo instead of a T series...
                                2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Working...
                                X