This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1.5 to 1.8L 98 2nd gen engine swap DOHC

I am a newbee to the terms, so if i screw up .........
    If some one has a better list let me know.

Here is the list of what I think I have read:
    1) The Trans is a F type and I can keep my AT.
    2) No major upgrade is required to the exhaust, cooling or fuel systems
    3) I will need a new intake manifold and fuel injection
    4) I need a new wiring harness for the 1.8L engine or add wires: 3 for the MAF sensor and one for the VICS.
    5) I can keep my 98 auto tran ECU
    6) I need a new motor mount for the pass side (shorter?)
    7) Change out the plugs on the throttle body and the block.
    8) The exhaust manifold is the same but there is a difference to the length of the connection to the 1.5 stock exaust. New downpipe. (any year 90 to 98 lx protege)
    9) Need to use the 1.8L MAF due to more air
    10) I can expect some O2 sensor issues .. engine lights

Questions?
    1) The 1.5 has a crank position sensor can it swap to the 1.8 and use the same distributor, 1.5L?
    2) Are the O2 sensors close enough? Should they be swaped out?

Thanks... any adders welcome

Comment

basically, you'll need the whole engine, maf, and wiring harness(main engine harness, fuel harness(has vics incorporated into it). the
      if you have a 95 1.5l, get a 95 1.8l w/ harness & ecu
      if you have a 96 1.5l, get a 96 1.8l w/ harness & ecu
      if you have a 97 1.5l, get a 97 1.8l w/ harness & ecu
      if you have a 98 1.5l, get a 98 1.8l w/ harness & ecu

dont interchange crap, like getting a harness from a 98 and trying to make it work for a 95. they're are too many differences between the years to make any sense of it. same w/ engine's, making a 98 engine work w/ a 95 is only going to cost you more $ and headaches in the long run.

and by whole engine i mean complete w/:

block, pulley(same as z5) w/ cps, head, headers, downpipe(to connect to stock exhaust),intake manifold, t/b, maf. i sure i missed minor stuff.

the distributor. same goes for that, a 98 z5 disty will work w/ a 98 bp, but will not work w/ a 95 bp or z5.
      Last edited by 95pro; 04-09-2007, 02:47 PM.
      Almost there

jdm tails... check
      jdm bumper... check
      ms lip... check
      ms grill... check
      ms sideskirts... check
      ms rear skirts... check
      ms spoiler... check
      ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
      Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

Whats an average price on swaping a Z5 1.5 L DOHC to a BP 1.8L DOHC (with ecu and wiring harness)
        also whats should i change first Transmission ( F type)or just change the clutch and get a better fly wheel. I knoqw these questions seem dumb but i just got this car so would like to be more responsible with getting the job done and getting it done right

Comment

the avg price? there's really no avg, just depends on luck. some people find bp for $150-$200, others find them for more. the engines and ecu are easy to find. but goodluck on the harness, seriously they're tough to find.
          lets say you're looking for big power(225whp or more), swap a g-series tranny in. its stronger. people say the f-series is only good up to 250whp, but i personally can't confirm that.
          for my 95, i'm only changing to an act clutch w/ fidanza flywheel. the f-series has shorter gearing, and since i'm only n/a, it'll be fine for my personal use.
          what year car do you have?
          Almost there

jdm tails... check
          jdm bumper... check
          ms lip... check
          ms grill... check
          ms sideskirts... check
          ms rear skirts... check
          ms spoiler... check
          ms struts... check

Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

can i swap my 2.0l DOHC Probe (1993 Ford Probe SE) Inton my 1991 Protege 323 DX. will the 1.8l SOHC Tranny Bolt to my 2.0
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2520103
            Pardon Tigers Looks But Shes, Gorgeous in my eyes.
            5spd Out of a 1993 Mazda 323 LX
            Stock Dohc 1.8 (BPO5-8-1)
            Stock Flywheel off a 1993 Mazda 323 LX
            Stock Clutch kit off a 1993 Mazda MX3 SOHC 1.8(??)

Comment

are ther any engine swaps for my 92 protege? cuz if not im moving on 2 another car

Comment

Originally posted by wendellgtr View Post
                are ther any engine swaps for my 92 protege? cuz if not im moving on 2 another car
                search around in the 1st gen forums.

right now, you are in the 2nd gen, 95-98 section. they have more options, swap-wise.
                Almost there

jdm tails... check
                jdm bumper... check
                ms lip... check
                ms grill... check
                ms sideskirts... check
                ms rear skirts... check
                ms spoiler... check
                ms struts... check

Comment

the f-series has shorter gearing,

^wrong.
                  Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
                  kitty, you are a hilarious woman
                  Originally posted by HopelessCow
                  there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
                  Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

ok guys i know it has been a long time for me, i bought a camaro and basically it's broken now... cuz i'm such a great tech! anyway for the mean time and for a much simpler and less costly build, i am entertaining the idea of doing the BP-T engine, guessing from the 2nd gen pro (this is the only BP but the lower class BP correct? no oil squirters? and less aggressive cams?) then turbo'n it. i plan on using a ball bearing set up cuz it can be couple hundred more, but if i am to do this, i better do it right. i am thinking of just getting the engine itself first and then adding to it; now when i purchase the motor, i plan on having it on a stand for a while you know, re-building it. where is a great place for engines? i've looked at car-parts.com and ebay... found some for 400, since i wanna re-build it shouldn't matter if the engine is in great condition right? thanks
                    -matt

Comment

im lost on this motor swap thing

i want a swap. but i looked up the bpt and all the site's have the motor with ecu and harness and trany but from what i hear the tranny isnt going to work on a 2nd gen unless i dish out someserious money to make it awd. so since the bpt is from a 90-94 protege will the harness and ecu work the same for my 2nd gen?

Comment

If you currently have a BP - use the FWD box attatched to it

If you replace your current 2nd gen loom and ecu with the GTX (BP26) items it will work fine.

If you are interested in purchasing just the engine, ECU and loom (no tranny) - let me know - might be able to sort something for you

infiniGTR (3:36:37 PM): does homo mean the same thing in the US
                        JhoShizzLe (3:37:04 PM): yes, it means that you get lots of pussy
                        JhoShizzLe (3:37:13 PM)
                        infiniGTR (3:37:08 PM): you dirty homo
                        JhoShizzLe (3:37:25 PM): haha
                        Want JDM parts ? Ask here

Comment

ok let me reiterate this. i want to build a BP-T but i'm starting out without the little '-T' there. its going to be non turboed at first, then later on mod the turbo on. there are a lot of different BP's around from many different cars. it is like the whore of engines i guess ;D anyway. use the search to find all about the BP engines. or go to Wikipedia (sp?) later

Comment

ahhh

ok i sat here and read all freakin 8 pages and i decided to go with the normal bp off the same year my car is same with the harness and ecu. the one question that never got answered or atleast i never saw was about the tranny. will the z5's tranny fit the bp motor?

Comment

either tranny will work.

the 95's bp come w/ a g-series tranny.

the 95-98 z5 come w/ f-series tranny.

the 96-98 bp come w/ f-series tranny.
                              Almost there

jdm tails... check
                              jdm bumper... check
                              ms lip... check
                              ms grill... check
                              ms sideskirts... check
                              ms rear skirts... check
                              ms spoiler... check
                              ms struts... check

Comment

what about jdm

is there a jdm bp? and will the u.s ecu and harness work with a jdm bp?

Comment

Working...
                                X