This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cablemirc,
    You said youd rather see someone "get what works, get what's right, get what's proper."
    My point is, to there is NO point in getting the ESpec lights. They dont offer anything useful that our USDM lights dont already offer. This is the point that ive been trying to make. Please dont look for something else.

My argument in a nutshell:
    JDM lights DO slightly cast light to the left, but, not as much as the Silvia's that Cablemirc posted earlier. EDM's have the same APPEARANCE as USDM lights. Their only RELIVANT difference is a glass lense. IMO, there is no point in replacing the the USDM lights with EDM as the light output reamains the same as what comes stock. JDM look better and match the JDM corners. When lit, the units are crystal clear and when used in conjunction with a QUALITY set of bulbs (like the PIAA that I have), the light output is much brighter, more clear and cast light FURTHER ahead of the car (all though SLIGHTLY to the left). When stripped to the bare essentials, do JDM's compromise your safety? Absolutely not. I would take my set of cock-eyed lights over a set that can be adjusted from the inside of my car anyday (and certainly over a set of OEM USDM lights).

Labikesrcool asked about the JDM lights originally. I told him from EXPERIENCE what it was like to have a set installed. This is far more accurate than what anyone can tell him from what they've read.

And for the record, I didnt buy the JDM lights (or any of my JDM parts for that matter) simply due to the fact that they are JDM. I bought them as there is no aftermarket alternative. If TYC had a set of projector lights for my car, I wouldve have bought those instead (same goes for my tails and my corners). Im not set on JDM because they are JDM.

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
    1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
    Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

Glass and plastic is not the only difference between the European and US headlight designs.
      2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Originally posted by charles
        Glass and plastic is not the only difference between the European and US headlight designs.
        I know. The other difference is the electronic height adjustment. However, this is a 'novelty' item IMO. How often do you need to adjust your headlights?

Ask any 2genner, they would rather have the JDM lights over the EDM lights...or keep with the USDM one. Buying EDM lights (even though the light alignment is correct) is not a justified purchase to most.

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
        1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
        Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

But buying headlights that throw light in the wrong direction is good buy?
          "Hey look at me, I'm stupid as hell and can't even breath properly, little alone read!" - Master Shake
          2001 Mazda Protege MP3, with Flyin' Protege Turbo Kit

www.triplezoom.com

Comment

sigh... it will never end.

Comment

I think this thread should be closed. Flaming each other is not a solution. As a 2nd gener, I think most others 2nd geners would also agree, that we have very little to do to our cars in the first place. I know its not right to have the lights thrown onto oncoming traffic, but how many accidents happen due to such cause? As Kris mentioned before, there is no more then 3 or 4 cars in the whole USA/Canada that have these headlights. I do not see it being a big problem. I get blinded by SUVs and Trucks all the time. As soon as you place any load in the back of those monsters, its right in my eye-level, and definately not cool with me. And last time I checked, there are probably millions more of trucks and SUVs than Proteges.
              "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

could someone please explain to me how someone who doesn't even have a 2nd gen can compare lights from a totally different car *i.e. 1st gen 3rd gen mp5 ect.* to the 2nd gen car? if you are going to use examples to say a type of headlight is bad cite examples from that car specifically... do not pull examples from a car that is not being discussed... if you pull up two second gen proteges side by side.. with the only difference being the housings *j-spec or us-spec* there will be little difference aside from more light being thrown from the j-spec than the us-spec... so which would be a better product? one that produces more light? or one that produces less light? hmmmm tough question... who gives a **** which looks better during the day.. hands down the jspec light is the best light for the 2nd gen protege and the only other one available.. no one can even get an espec light that i know of .. the only other option is if andy ever gets us those projector lights.. but even then people like the man and the other flamers in here will find a fault with projects and tell us not to use them cause it hurts they fing pancrease or something... get over it.. if you are going to offer any advice make it useful and make sure it is comparing to like items
                In the Garage
                Black 93 MX-3 GS
                Bp powered
                GTR Drive Train

The ProjectMx build thread
                MyCardomain[/SIZE]

"Shut up, at least the bunnies are on fire!"

Comment

Originally posted by cablemirc
                  from this day forward, i now have an MP1, not a "first gen"... please refer to it as such in the future.
                  Your car only has one door??
                  Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                  BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                  Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Sigh.
                    I know your car has more than one door, it was a smart assed comment.
                    I'll stop posting in this thread since you edwin and Kdawg are having so much fun arguing.
                    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

this is one of the most deconstructive threads i have ever read. i'm not getting into specifics, but if somebody is going to offer specific articles, suggestions (whether right or wrong), an idea, an opinion.. be open minded, don't completely shoot somebody down. you know there is a nice way to tell somebody their wrong .
                      peace

Comment

Originally posted by demoninvictus
                        . you know there is a nice way to tell somebody their wrong .
                        peace
                        I know I said I wouldn't post in this thread anymore, but whats a nice way to tell you that "Choir" is spelled wrong in your sig?
                        O.K., my last post in this thread, I hope.

Comment

Hopefuly this is the end
                          As for me I didn't chose yet. I'm unsatisfied with my stock headlights and want some improvement. As for look, which is important, I would go with J-spec. Talking about all that safety and other stuff probably E-spec. Since I'm not only one who drives this car, I'm getting J-spec whenever I'll have money for it. My girlfriend likes them much more then the other one and this criteria is important too
                          98 protege LX for appearance
                          89 626 GT for performance

Comment

Sorry

Alright so I started this thread to answer the question “will these headlights fit” turbonium959 and kdawg were very helpful and answered my question. Then somebody suggested that I should get Espec headlights. Alright sure thanks. Tell people why and that’s all you need to do. Then this whole time wasting argument comes about. I’m not for either side I’m considering getting the J-spec because I PERSONALLY can’t see any vast advantages to having the E-spec ones. That doesn’t mean I’m right and your wrong it just means I’m choosing one over the other. I don’t know maybe some of you have way too much time on your hands or you needed to vent on somebody. Heck who knows. Sure J-spec send some light into the passenger lane but who cares when I have my lights on lows it sends a ton of light on to the ground and not a whole lot up randomly in the air. I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t care if somebody lit the way for you. On highs sure it sends it in the air farther and stuff but if your running your highs when meeting oncoming traffic you need to be castrated. So some people may choose E-spec, some may choose J-spec, and some may choose good old USofA spec. Whatever you should choose it’s your choice your spending your money. If your worried about the J-spec not lighting up the road signs for you try looking at a “passing zone ending” sign on the other side of the road and tell me if you can’t see it well enough. That is a lane away also. E-spec may be legal in Canada but are not legal in the United States http://web.archive.org/web/200112111...g.mbz.org/faq/
                            “What about legality?”
                            In the United States, E-code headlamps may be sold only for off-road use, because they do not conform to US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108. It is a matter of State law as to what sort of headlamps you can or cannot install on your own vehicle. The vast majority of US states do not specify any particular type of headlamp, as long as it emits white light, has an upper and lower beam setting, and is aimed in a manner so as not to dazzle other road users. If your state does not have a vehicle headlamp inspection, it would be extremely unlikely that you would experience difficulties if you were to use off-road headlamps on the road. So there both illegal but so is playing your car stereo loudly, using J-spec engines on US highways, excessive acceleration, Speeding, loud exhaust, ect..ect.
                            Fact is for use Second Generation protégé owners we don’t have a whole lot of options to customize our cars and make them unique and different. We have what like 2-3 body kits that we can get and all that I know of aren’t made of urethane and require you to take out the reinforcements that are designed to save your ass in an accident.
                            I think that we should be putting more of our arguing efforts if they are necessary toward the civics and the lancers and the cavaliers and the neons and such.
                            Remember this is a forum to help each other out not to see who can rip on the other the best. I would also like to apologize to all the people that looked at the pages other than one as they are a waste of time for most to read. Please don't post on this thread anymore.
                            Peace out,
                            Lowell
                            Last edited by labikesrcool; 12-10-2003, 11:51 PM.
                            real drivers accelerate for the corners

Comment

Originally posted by cablemirc
                              but we're all protegers.. let's save the hatin for better targets than each other.
                              Yeah, lets cut up J-bodies! That would be fun!

(im serious...no sarcasm here)

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
                              1.8L 97 LX (CDN)

Comment

Originally posted by midnightblue97
                                I know I said I wouldn't post in this thread anymore, but whats a nice way to tell you that "Choir" is spelled wrong in your sig?
                                O.K., my last post in this thread, I hope.
                                that was nice enough.. got sick of it anyway :p:
                                peace

Comment

Working...
                                X