• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And this is the BP when i first got it....dirty as hell
    Attached Files
    sigpic

Comment

1) If you have time, You can get the intake and exhaust ported or you can do it yourself, if you have a rotorary grinder. I wish I had done this, but it's ok. I did it to the 323 BP.

2) Remember to change the water pump.
      3) sweet motor you got there bro
      4) Are you going to use the Protege DX transmission.
      5) Get a ACT clutch if you can fund it ... I am still saving.
      6) Did you manage to get the wire harness.
      -- you will have to put a 2nd O2 sensor down by the resonator. ( I have yet to do this)
      -- the fan switch is different, you have a 97/98 so I am not sure about yours, but I didn't get a chance to redo mine since I found out where the switch is ...
      7) The engine mount that I was refering to was the one that is on the passenger side. I need to order the mazdaspeed part.
      -- The front mount I just purchased a new one..
      -- the rear mount I filled with poly
      -- I also filled the driver side mount, the one that attaches to the tranny.. Make sure you fill that one to ...
      -- You will feal the difference, trust me...

Any Questions or whatever shoot me a email or give me a call .. just email me for the # ..
      bruce
      photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Yea, Ive got a dremel. Im probably not going to port it right now but i will polish to increase the flow alittle. As for the water pump i disassembled it and made sure it was in good condition. Ive pretty much completed building up the engine now. So, im waiting on a harness which i will probably buy soon and ecu. As for engine mounts yea i filled them all in but for the passenger side.

What im waiting on:
        -1.8 flywheel
        -clutch
        -tranny
        -ecu/wire harness
        sigpic

Comment

what are you gonna use the G-tranny and G-flywheel..
          Bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

F probably. I dont feel like going through the trouble of a G.
            sigpic

Comment

ohh ok , I forgot you had an automatic.. lol

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Well I have been searching local junk yards lately for a suitable donor car for my manual transmission.. I finally found one. It's got everything you need for a swap. I should be going to pick it up by the end of the week and of course ill have pics posted up too. After I get the tranny set up Ill basicly be waiting on the BP flywheel and a BP/MT ECU. I hope to have the car running NA by the end of Jan. and the turbo will come along as soon as I make sure the engine runs clean. Keep checking back!
                sigpic

Comment

I am using a 1996 Mazda protege es ecu. It is for an automatic. It works fine.
                  Although every now and then I have idle problems. I recently reset the idle and checked the timing. All ofcourse after jumping the ground and ten in the little black diagnostic box. It runs better now, but I am still unsure if my VICS is working ... I am not really sure as to how to check into it. When I rev the car the little rocker doesn't move. I don't really know what to think of it yet. I tried to read the error codes of my cpu but the machine couldn't pick up the ecu. It was getting error codes
                  Bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Hmm well i am going to use the 97-98 1.8/MT ECU. I have to have everything perfect....
                    sigpic

Comment

UPDATE: I replaced the fuel filter while the engine is out just to make things easier. I also replaced the fuel lines with new high pressure lines. I have to run 100psi fuel pressure and the stock lines are only rated for like 50psi. The new lines can hold 250 psi so im happy. Im pickin up my manual tranny monday because i went to the junk yard today and they were closed....bastards. Also at the junk yard im gettin my MT wire harness. So basicly now i just have to get:
                      -flywheel
                      -clutch
                      -ecu
                      -maf

Oh so close
                      sigpic

Comment

Oh yea, Bruce, BTW when i went to the junkyard a week ago to look any a tranny i checked out the axles for a 98 1.5L/MT. THey were exactly the same as the 98 1.5L/AT axles. I guess it was something they changed for 97-98 models. So in other words, the 98 1.5L/MT i looked at did not have the passenger side axle bolted to the engine.
                        sigpic

Comment

I went to get the parts for my tranny conversion yesterday (1-5-03) and let me tell you what a bitch that was. Well the yard closed at 5 and i got there around 2:30 and started taking parts of the donor car. Clutch pedal, shifter, shifter arms. Its about that time that it starts to rain hard as hell. So Im sitting in the middle of a field under the hood of a protege taking out a wire harness while cats and dogs are falling left and right. But anyway, the cluch pedal setup was a breeze to take out and i thought i would take out the smaller manual brake pedal. I didnt remember at the time that engineers go ape **** over brake pedals, so i was laying there with my ass hanging out the pro looking at the brake pedal for like 15 min. going WTF?!? So i finally decided im just going to resize the automatic pedal with my dremel to match the manual size.
                          I didnt realize doing a conversion to manual was this easy for a protege. Its normally a pain in the ass but with the pro everything is bolt on. All the wires are there too. The two plugs that go into the clutch pedal are even hanging under my dash, so i didnt have to screw around with wires other than getting out the slightly diffrent MT wireharness.
                          Pics will come soon
                          sigpic

Comment

As an update ive ordered a stage one clutch and Bruce is gonna hook me up with a flywheel. After i get the 2 i will install them and then drop the engine in. After all that is done I will be waiting on a MAF, wire harness solution, and ECU. WOOT SO CLOSE!

But i have been doing some research on the wire harness dilemma. I have a manual and an automatic wire harness and i have spent quit some time dissecting the two. I figured out that an automatic wire harness can be very easily modified to fit a manual. A manual only has 3 electronics on the tranny. A speed sensor, reverse light switch, and neutral safety switch. All of these are built into an automatic wire harness too. So what does this mean? This mean instead of trying to modify a 1.5L/MT harness to fit a 1.8L/MT, I can much easier modify a 1.8L/AT harness to fit a 1.8L/MT.
                            Alot of you are probably asking, "Why not just buy a 1.8L/MT wire harness, dumbass?" Well its quite simple. They are impossible to find, but the 1.8L/AT harnesses are fairly easy to find.
                            So in the end, I have stumbled across an easy solution to the hardest damn part of a BP Swap. Sorry you had to take the hard road Bruce , but everyone owes you a thanks to pioneering the way.
                            sigpic

Comment

now if you were to buy the 1.8L MT harness
                              could you jus remove your 1.5L harness and put in the 1.8L one?
                              and be done all together with that?

Comment

Originally posted by pigeon
                                now if you were to buy the 1.8L MT harness
                                could you jus remove your 1.5L harness and put in the 1.8L one?
                                and be done all together with that?
                                Basicly, Yeah. All you would have to do is install the harness and plug and play.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X