No announcement yet.

Follow OCD 1.8L Turbo Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can look for you. Cant promise anything though. Let me test mine first to make sure it will work. Haha yea i considered waiting for the wire harness before i put the engine in, but i wanted to get it over with. I can still put the wire harness in with the engine in. I will just have to take my time and thread it through all the stuff. Not too hard, but annoying yes.
    sigpic

Comment

if you had the wiring harness already, would you still wait till the engine was in or you would install the harness first? I'm asking because I am going to do the swap, but don't know much about the procedure... so I will be asking you for input. I hope you don't mind.

but do look for a MAF if you can... I'm definitely gonna need one so if you could find a working one for about the same price I'll buy it from you.

Comment

It is better to put the harness in first. It is alot easier to arrange it when you can sit in the engine bay.
        sigpic

Comment

Well I broke down and ordered a 1.8/MT ecu with harness yesterday. I am getting it shipped to be here before friday, so this weekend ill be trying to start her up. hoepfully everything will go ok.
          sigpic

Comment

Wow, good luck! How much did you pay for them both? I hope you don't mind me asking...

Comment

Around $225 for both. More than I wanted to, but i was so tired of screwing around with people I just had to bite the bullet. I wish I still had a digital video camera to record the first breath drawn by my BP, but oh well. Ill try to get an audio wave : )
              sigpic

Comment

that's not a bad deal...
                too bad you don't have a camera though

Comment

You know that you can't use the 1.5 disty with that 1.8 harness....

Your gonna have to get a 1.8 disty...
                  The plug is different.

(I will see if I still have the kia one and do a pic of it.)
                  photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
                    You know that you can't use the 1.5 disty with that 1.8 harness....

Your gonna have to get a 1.8 disty...
                    The plug is different.

(I will see if I still have the kia one and do a pic of it.)
                    My engine came with one. : )
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OCD-SPEED
                      My engine came with one. : )
                      Hey guys, I am looking at a BP for sale at a local junkyard. It's from an AT car and what confuses me is the fact that car-part.com has separated the MT and AT engines. This makes me think that there is a difference between the two. Is that so (I doubt it)?

Engine
                      Mazda Protege 3-98,1.8L,AT,200,200 ,200,200

I assume 200 is the compression? That should be pretty good, right?

I'm asking about the AT/MT because I want to swap the tranny on my protege and put a manual transmission in. I was wondering if it would make any difference whether I get a MT engine or an AT engine.

I plan on going to the place and checking it out tomorrow (later today actually). I'll buy the BP if it's around $300.

Comment

the only diffrence is an MT will come with a fly wheel and a AT will come with a drive plate. If you get one from an AT you will have to get a flywheel, thats all. But NO THREAD JACKING
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OCD-SPEED
                          But NO THREAD JACKING
                          ok, I'm very sorry...

Comment

well, my wire harness didnt come in on time so im gonna have to wait until next weekend to get her running. Im also going to order a downpipe for 1.8l to solve the exhaust problems. next weekend its on!
                            sigpic

Comment

This past weekend I got the downpipe in time and put it on. But the guy i got the wire harness from was supose to get it here by last friday and he sent it late so it didnt come until the 23rd. So once again i have to wait till this weekend. But i have everything now and baring any unforseen problems, the protege should be running this weekend. Oh yea, I found a 1.8L/MT wire harness from somewhere in tennesse. They are extremely rare and i cant believe i actually found one. I was on the phone with they guy and was explaining to him what i was doing, the whole 1.8l swap and tranny swap and i was talking to him about a automatic 1.8l harness would work and then he was said, "well ive got a 1.8l harness for an MT too if you want that one." so ofcourse i was like hell yeah!

Correct me if im wrong but when i get this done will this be the first BP swap in a 2nd gen using a Kia motor? Also will it be the first automatic to manual conversion in a second gen?
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
                                Hey guys, I am looking at a BP for sale at a local junkyard. It's from an AT car and what confuses me is the fact that car-part.com has separated the MT and AT engines. This makes me think that there is a difference between the two. Is that so (I doubt it)?

Engine
                                Mazda Protege 3-98,1.8L,AT,200,200 ,200,200

I assume 200 is the compression? That should be pretty good, right?

I'm asking about the AT/MT because I want to swap the tranny on my protege and put a manual transmission in. I was wondering if it would make any difference whether I get a MT engine or an AT engine.

I plan on going to the place and checking it out tomorrow (later today actually). I'll buy the BP if it's around $300.
                                why don't you email me at dbest1a@yahoo.com and then I can give you my phone number and you can give me a call and you can pick my brain for all the answers you need on the motor swap
                                Bruce
                                photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Working...
                                X