No announcement yet.

"Breakout Box" for 97-98 TPS??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AH HA! That crazy braking/idle problem actually has a solution.

Comment

only for 02 sensors
      sigpic

Comment

here you go ocd.

sorry it took me so long
        photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

hey you have a 4wire tps thats only got 3 wires? wtf....

ocd, it doesnt make sence for there to be an adjustment tool for youre tps, if there is no way to adjust it right? theres got to be somthing missing here.
          find it, **** it, forget it

Comment

Originally posted by bp 1.8
            ocd, it doesnt make sence for there to be an adjustment tool for youre tps, if there is no way to adjust it right? theres got to be somthing missing here.
            From what i can tell from some research the tps's that cant be adjusted dont need to be...which is odd. Supposedly, it doesnt matter...the ecu takes the input at start up and idle which would normally be 0volts but it my case maybe be 1.5 or so volts and makes that count as zero....So the tps Shouldnt be a problem...Ive tried changing it but the same thing happens...but if its not the tps then why does the car run perfect with it unplugged??
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks Bruce for the pics, my tps is diffrent then that...but mine is also wired diffrent...Yours goes LG/R, L/Y,B/R. from top to bottom...mine goes L/Y, B/R, LG/R. Maybe thats it.. maybe its wired wrong but its wired exactly how it is on my diagram so i dont know...I need a pic of a 97-98 TPS. then i could see if my wires are diffrent. Anyone got one?
              sigpic

Comment

OCD, if that's how your wires came on the engine then chances are that's how they should be. All I did was splice the 1.8 tps plug wires (color match) to the 1.5 harness. You really shouldn't have any problems with your idle. I would say check your throttle cable. Then check your idle screw. (But don't move that screw to much. You don't want to go through what I went through. I had the car stalling on me at lights when I would neutral up. changed the idle screw and the adjusted the throttle cable and it went away.

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by bp 1.8

what you do first is set youre idle speed by disconnecting the isc and screwing in the air bypass screw on the top of the throttle body all the way closed. then adjust the butterfly via the set screw obtain the idle speed you wish. the air bypass screw should normally only be used for minor adjustment. this is important because the tps uses the idle speed as a baseline for its setting.
                  Is this the set screw that it on top of the manifold, that controls the idle or is it somewhere else. I am refering the the 1st gen Bp motors.

Bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

the butterfly set screw is a 3mm allen head screw that has a 8?mm nut on it and is used to adjust the idle speed.

the air bypass screw is a phillips head screw that goes into the throttle body from the front top area.
                    find it, **** it, forget it

Comment

yeah , but where is it. I don't see it on my BP throttle body.

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Bruce, The tps that came on my engine had no wiring. The tps for the 1.5 and 1.8 are diffrent so thye have to be wired diffrent. Remember i had to completly make a wire harness not modify one.
                        Last edited by OCD-SPEED; 04-22-2004, 10:46 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Ive stumbled across something else that might be causing my problem....Maybe its not the tps..I have a 96 kia motor, and 98 mazda. Thing is, if you look at 96-97 kia bps. they have 2 throttle cables... one on the bottom of the circle thing on the throttle body and one on the top. Yet the mazda bps of that year have only one throttle cable. I wonder could this be causing the problem...Maybe my ecu is wanting to run it the one throttle cable way, but the engine wants to run with two.. ill but up some pics so you can see what i mean. Top is mazda with one cable, bottom is kia with two. What is that top cable for anyway??!
                          Attached Files
                          sigpic

Comment

Attached Files
                            sigpic

Comment

It's an automatic isn't it?

Edit: I mean the KIA.
                              2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

You sure its not just the kickdown cable??
                                Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                                BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                                Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Working...
                                X