No announcement yet.

lower but by how much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yea i figure it's better to play things safe the way i've been going with car luck.

Comment

well can anyone find springs for my pro 2nd gen...
      that will lower it 1.5inchs and beat the price of 201.75 SHIPPED.

Comment

The only 1.5 spring that I know of is the B+G, and I've never heard of anyone using it. The Apex 1.6" seems like a good bet. Pigeon has had those for at least 3 years and he's happy with them. Part# is 100-2010F and they retail at $169.99 ($25 s&h). http://www.ppsonline.net/spring_apex.htm

You can try and google the part number to find a better deal or a more popular retailer.

Comment

i dont see anything listed on there tho for the protege.

and yea the b&g ones are what im talking about... i think i'll just save up and go with the B&G ones.

Comment

I paid $185 for mine @ TR

Comment

You should pay crazy money and go for the B+G 2.25.. i was nuts when i decided that, but i love the stance.... 205-50-16 rubbed tho
              98 Protege SE
              -------------------
              1.5L Turbo

Comment

bruce had the b&g extremes(2.5). he had no rubbing issues. correct offset and tire sizes are important, im sure you already know that already.

strutman, take care of some business and get the turbo project finished.
                Almost there

jdm tails... check
                jdm bumper... check
                ms lip... check
                ms grill... check
                ms sideskirts... check
                ms rear skirts... check
                ms spoiler... check
                ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
                Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by strutman
                  i dont see anything listed on there tho for the protege.
                  That's why I gave you the part number. It's for the 95-98 323.

Comment

Here's my opinion on this,

If you wan't to drive the car normaly and not change your driving style too much, I wouldn't go much lower than 1.75". This is also considering you didn't mention that you will be upgrading your shocks/struts.

Now IMO, I personally would not be happy with the ride height with only that much drop. My 323 was lowered 1.75 with Intrax and 15" wheels and I would have needed 17s to get the wheel gap I wanted. Also note that BGs don't ride nearly as high as BHAs from the factory.

If you were planning on upgrading to better and/or shorter struts, and you don't mind slowing down for every train track, driveway, or road imperfection, then a 2" drop or greater might be an option. You will definately have a noticeable drop (even to people who aren't familiar with Proteges) but you can expect ride quality to be severely hindered.

In your situation, I would go with 1.5-1.75" spring. A 1.75" drop should be noticeable to the average enthusiast but will really max out your stock shocks. I fear a 1.5" drop will be barely noticeable with the 14" steelies and would look somewhat strange with any low profile wheel/tire combo smaller than 17".

The bottom line is to strongly scrutinize you motives and do what satisfies your needs the most. That's the only way you will be happy with the result.
                    1998 Mazda BHALP SE - Rain Forest Green Mica

Pacesetter short shifter ; Depo tails (thanks beetle_orange) ; Custom CAI nearing completion ; CF hood on the way ; Brembo blanks & KVR pads to be inst. (thanks Pigeon) ; Goodridge brake lines to be inst. ;

Much more to come...

Comment

why run low pros when i don't need to? and i'm not on steelies, they're aftermarket.

Comment

i got the b+g -1.5" with stock shock

they are stiff and the confort is not the same ( they are a little bouncy)
                        i live in québec and the roads are in very bad conditions here because of the freeze/unfreeze that make the asphalt craked very badly.

But the ride is more fun and agressive, i can take corners a bit faster because the car dont tilt too much.

An 1.5" drop almost keep the stock look on the 2nd gen and i think this the way to go (stay sleepers if you want to keep your driver's licence)

please make the winter end fast, i want to instal my strut bars and my rear disck setup.

Comment

yea as soon as i finish this swap and get enough money for the b+g 1.5 thats what im going to get and have a friend help me get them on.

once the swap and the springs are done, it's turbo time!

Comment

There are advantages to low profile tires, mainly better grip and better acceleration (compared to higher profile tire on same rim). Not to mention looks.

Comment

Originally posted by firelizard
                              There are advantages to low profile tires, mainly better grip and better acceleration (compared to higher profile tire on same rim). Not to mention looks.
                              the acceleration thing shouldn't be an issue, since you should run a tire size that's a close to spec as possible in order to keep the speedo accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by strutman
                                why run low pros when i don't need to? and i'm not on steelies, they're aftermarket.
                                Oh ok my bad, I assumed they were steelies. As long as you keep some meaty tires on them they should look ok with a 1.5 drop.

As mentioned, there are many advantages to low profile tires. Mostly in grip and cornering feel and stability due to stiffer sidewalls. Problem is if you put them on a smallish wheel with only a 1.5" drop, the car will go back to looking like a truck even though it is lowered.
                                1998 Mazda BHALP SE - Rain Forest Green Mica

Pacesetter short shifter ; Depo tails (thanks beetle_orange) ; Custom CAI nearing completion ; CF hood on the way ; Brembo blanks & KVR pads to be inst. (thanks Pigeon) ; Goodridge brake lines to be inst. ;

Much more to come...

Comment

Working...
                                X