just dropped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shaun32390
    I think a 1.75-2" drop will be enough and should look just right with 17" wheels.

Any smaller wheels like 15-16" will require at least 2.5-3" of lowering to get the ideal look. Ride quality will seriously suffer as the stroke of the suspension will be extremely compromised at that height though.

".
    I'm not saying you're wrong because "ideal look" is different for each person, and looks can fool us. I was just wondering why it would make a difference if the overall diameter of the tire is the same, regardless of rim size
    Please sponsor me for the American diabetes association Tour de Cure.
    http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...383&px=3361088
    together, we can find a cure for Diabetes!!!!

Comment

Well your right technically.

The overall diameter of the wheel + tire shouldn't change much from a 15" to a 17" wheel.

What changes is the amount of space between the very lip of the wheel and the fender of the car. Tire sidewalls have a way of blending in with the black space created by the wheel gap. Even if the ride height stays the same, the total distance between the edge of the wheel and the fender usually decreases as the wheel size increases (because the tire has less sidewall). This shrinking "dark distance" is what gives the optical illusion that the car is lowered. Have you ever noticed how some cars at the stock ride height will look better with just steelies than they do with hubcaps? I think this is because the hubcaps define and accentuate the large "dark space" where as the black steelies show less contrast between the wheel and fender.

IDK, maybe it's just me. But you're essentially right, it's all subjective. And what really matters is the stroke of the suspension combined with the right spring rates and suitable damping.
      1998 Mazda BHALP SE - Rain Forest Green Mica

Pacesetter short shifter ; Depo tails (thanks beetle_orange) ; Custom CAI nearing completion ; CF hood on the way ; Brembo blanks & KVR pads to be inst. (thanks Pigeon) ; Goodridge brake lines to be inst. ;

Much more to come...

Comment

I understand what you are saying, and that's what I meant about looks fooling us. You're right about tire blending in, and the space between the lip of the wheel and the fender being the focal point. personally, I don't like big wheels, and in some respects (michigan roads and potholes) my 15's are too big. I just dropped mine 1.3" with the H+R's and GR2's, and I like how it looks. it's lower, but not too low. I wouldn't go less than a 50 series tire on anything I drove everyday, and I wouldn't lower it any more either. Tires and wheels aren't cheap and here, any less and you'll be buying them all the time. I've already lost one 195/50/15 to the road, and I also bent the rim. the same hole wouldn't have damaged any other tires I've had, but I've never had a car with less than a 60 series tire. anyway, I like my car, and that's all that matters. to each their own, and lots of respect to all that do what they want and like it. I just happen to load my trunk with firewood and drive a mile off the road with a car load of people, strap ladders to the roof, and that kind of stuff so I can't have it too low or big wheels.

Comment

I went with the 15's cause it's was more cost effective. This is our daily commuter, and we both work in Hartford. If I put any kind of bling on the car, it becomes a target. I also like a fatter tire for the smoother ride.
          Thanks for noticing me
          Alpha pro- 02 MP5, bling free
          Beta Pro- 98 pro es, aka slowburn

Comment

Originally posted by eeyoresride
            I went with the 15's cause it's was more cost effective. This is our daily commuter, and we both work in Hartford. If I put any kind of bling on the car, it becomes a target. I also like a fatter tire for the smoother ride.
            Yeah, I agree about being a target...my car is parked in some crappy areas quite a bit. including some bad parts of Detroit...of course, It's not a Delta 88 or a Regal, so I have less to worry about. luckily, the worst thing that's been stolen from this car was my green anodized aluminum valve stem caps. $2 at autozone. it sucks, but I can deal with it. I have a jar full of chrome ones from when I worked at Belle Tire so it was no big deal

Comment

Looks really good dude. i want to do that to mine.

~saramonster~
              ~saramonster~

Comment

I´m new!!!

hi people, i´m new on this and i need some help, i want to drop a little my car, can i cut the srprings just a little, less than a lap???... i heard something that the spring have a part named "dead coil" that only works to gain height and dont have tenssion on it, is that true???? thanx people!!!!!

Juan Pablo -
                Sand Mica 2nd Gen 323F GLX (Protegè), b6 engine, custom fiber, leather interior, AC Autotechnic gauges, Indiglo gauges, Arospeed carbon fiber pedal set, custom eyelids, HID kit, PIAA leds & bulbs, Hella Comet 450 fog lights, Pioneer deh-p7850mp head unit and speakers, Kenwood d-class amp for an L5 sub.

Comment

Originally posted by PRO*98
                  nice look
                  you forgot a emblem in your signature. the short lived diamond logo.
                  c+p>c<c+d1>c+p<m+d2>m<m+f>f<c+p>m<m+f>f<f+s1>c+p<c +s2>c<c+p>

2002 Mazda Protégé 5 , 5-speed , poly engine mounts , 4 to 1 header , JIC-Magic semi titanium cat back , custom CAI , Tokiko hp struts , Vogtland springs , Mazdaspeed sway-bar kit , Megan racing TTL's , Megan Racing trailing arms , pedders control arm bushings , corksport clutch line and shifter bushings , Tiger Tuning rear panel with V brace , Black sedan headlights with 6000k H.I.D.'s , M3 mirrors , Audio by Alpine , Kicker and just getting started.

Comment

i went with 4" drop finally ill have to take pics to show everyone it couldnt not be done and well im a little lower than rusty and still get over 6" tall speed bumps...
                    MY CARDOMAIN LINK

STOLEN 09/28/2007

Comment

Working...
                    X