Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got my strut tower brace - need some help now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by K Dawg ONE
    Anyways, did you figure it out yet?
    Yeah, I figured it out, but I have this mechanical condition called "tool deficiency"...
    and I can't cut the CC bracket. I have to go to Autozone and see
    if they will let me rent one of those tools.

Comment

Originally posted by K Dawg ONE
      And, I might be wrong, but in the pics, it looks like you got the bar flipped around.
      Shouldnt the nothced side be on the passenger side?

Anyways, did you figure it out yet?
      Nahhh he has the Ractive bar for a 1st gen rear suspension .
      Bruce
      photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
        Nahhh he has the Ractive bar for a 1st gen rear suspension .
        Bruce
        Ractive??? Damn, for some reason I don't like anything that has Ractive on it. If I had known, I wouldn't have bought this strut bar.

Comment

you're better off the i am... the strut bar i bought is not even for a protege... i got it for $20 though, i'm going tohave ti have custom brackets made to hold it on

Comment

Originally posted by protegewill
            ... i got it for $20 though...
            I got mine for $14.95 + $15.95 for shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by protegewill
              you're better off the i am... the strut bar i bought is not even for a protege... i got it for $20 though, i'm going tohave ti have custom brackets made to hold it on
              Whats so bad about the brackets that you need custom ones??
              You probably just need to drill a couple holes.
              Pic please.
              Ryan The middle child is always ignored
              BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
              Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

the way the brackets are right now even if the holes were in the correct places the bar wouldn't reach across to the other side. its short by about 4 inches or so. i'm going to have my buddy draw up some plans for me and take them to get a quote on how much it will cost to have the brackets made for me. if they're too much i'll likley be able to sell this bar and get the right one ordered in. just wichevers cheepest. thanks for trying to help out though, i appreciate it as there's a lot i don;t know about yet

Comment

No prob, I didn't know that it was too short. I figured that the holes were in the wrong place or something.
                  Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Better for you to just sell that bar, and buy one for 40 bucks.

I still love the bar that I got from www.speedpeople.com ... in like 98 or 99 ... I think I paid like 40 bucks for it ..
                    and they were clearing them out.
                    Bruce
                    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

yeah that'd probably end up being cheeper in teh long run. thanks guys (Y)

Comment

I finally managed to rent a grinder to cut the cruise control bracket and install the strut bar.

Some pics:

I definitely feel a difference when cornering. The front end doesn't bend/lean as much as before. I also feel as if the car has a better grip on the road when making a long turn at high speed. all in all, I think it's a good investment.

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
                          I finally managed to rent a grinder to cut the cruise control bracket and install the strut bar.

Some pics:

I definitely feel a difference when cornering. The front end doesn't bend/lean as much as before. I also feel as if the car has a better grip on the road when making a long turn at high speed. all in all, I think it's a good investment.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Pics fixed.

Comment

Nice. I once read the whole thread but don't really remember or feel like going back to read it again. Is that all you had to do to make it fit? Just cut the CC bracket. Do you still have a website you got it from?

<marquee>'97 Tan LX 5-speed-Clear corners, "poor mans" grill, 15in. Gunmetal/Polished Konig Holes covered with Dunlop GT Qualifiers, B&M short shifter installed and lovin it, custom leather black leather boot, MazdaSpeed Shift knob, Eibach Pro-Kit, Custom cold air intake Head Unit-Pioneer DEH-3500MP Speakers-Sony Xplod XS-V1621(3-way)6.5s(Front Doors) Infinity 652i(2-way)6.5s(Rear Doors) Pioneer TS-A6990R(5-way)6x9s(Rear Deck) Amps-Kenwood KAC-7201/Pioneer GM-X352 Subs-2-JL 12 W3s in Dual box, redone LED 3rd brake light(doesn't look like crap anymore). More I.C.E. on the way.</marquee>
                              Formerly '90 White Miata w/ 2 8" Laser Blue stripes
                              I hate the short nose crankshaft. It took my car away from me.

Comment

I got it off ebay. The pic of the bar I should have gotten is posted on the first page. They sent me a different design which still works but I thought it's ghey.... blah... I did not feel like returning it - extra shipping, etc... losers!

Anyway, yes - all I had to do was cut the bracket as shown in the first pic on this page.

Comment

Working...
                                X