No announcement yet.

Keith's '02 Protege ES Worklog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good stuff man. how much did that run ya?
    loves BGs too much for his own good...

93 pro lx. daily runaround until a straight shell can be had.
    73 datsun 260z, yet another project in need of more love.

"yeah im sure you as a redneck and then a dude walking around with a mohawk, wearing gang rags... you're sure to stir up some trouble..."
    sigpic

Comment

For the two front rotors, they are generic ebay drilled and slotted, which were about $75 shipped (initially I was not consitering the generic ebay ones, but Ive been talking to many people who have been running ebay cheapo rotors for a long time with no problems, so I figured for that price it cant hurt to try em out.)

For the EBC greenstuff I picked em up on ebay as well for about $85

So about $160ish to replace the whole front end (rotors and pads)

Comment

that... actually... isnt too bad.

"yeah im sure you as a redneck and then a dude walking around with a mohawk, wearing gang rags... you're sure to stir up some trouble..."
        sigpic

Comment

I know I thought I was going to be shelling out much more, if I had gone with name brand rotors it def. would have kicked the price up. But given that Im a broke college student right now, Im happy that I can get the brakes replaced for such a reasonable amount

Comment

So got the brakes all done this evening

OLD:

NEW:

Couple things I have a question with. Is it normal for the passengers side pads to have metal clip thingys on them and not on the driver side? Also, the passengers side caliper after the new pads were installed slid on the rotor like a bitch, I didnt think it was going to fit but I got it to shove on after a little while, is this bad?

Ill work on fixing the exhaust rattle later in the week, as well as a few little things like a wash lol

Comment

both sides should have the metal thingy's
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
                both sides should have the metal thingy's
                You mean the shims?

Flyrtle 6.0 Dynojet @ 15psi on BP26 ECU 229.31 whp / 229.95 ft-lb
                HPLogic Mustang Dyno @ 15psi on MS1 v3 226 whp / 195 ft-lb [HD Video]
                Soon to be powered by a Precision snail on crack...

Add me on more pictures of my projects can be found there.

Comment

Nah there is like a small metal tab on two of the pads facing outward. Since i started with the drivers side and the OEM ones had none I thought it was just a difference with the EBC ones. But then when I took off the passengers side ones, both pads had em... so I put the EBC ones in like that.

Ill pick through the trash in the garage and take a pick on the OEM ones of what Im talking about...

EDIT::
                  These are the tabs Im talking about:
                  The two on the left were both on the passengers side

The brakes were on the car when I bought it used, please tell me that they were supposed ot be this way and that someone didint put the old ones on wrong
                  Last edited by Sleezer1533; 11-23-2010, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Previous owner must of mixed the pads up. There should be on of those on each side. They hit the rotor and squeak to let ya know your pads are dead.

edit: How stuff works.
                    Last edited by Pox; 11-23-2010, 10:39 PM.

Comment

^+1
                      3 internets for you. lol.

sigpic

Comment

Hmmm well I put the new ones on like the old ones came off. Will it be bad to swap em now that ive driven on the new ones a little bit?

Comment

nah. its all brand new stuff, so it should be pretty even wear all around.

sigpic

Comment

Alright, looks like Ill swap em tomorrow after work then

Comment

Need some help::

Spent some time in the garage earlier to fix the "exhaust" rattle Ive been having. A little history: after I replaced my alternator (about 2 weeks ago?) my car developed a rattle that I assumed was the exhaust. I have an automatic transmition and if Im at a stop in drive the ting rattles like a bitch but if I put the car into neutral or park the rattle goes away.
                              So first I put the car in drive with the e-brake cranked and got underneath and could tell the rattle wasnt coming form the exhaust. I jacked the car up and inspected everywhere I could but could not locate the source of the rattle.
                              I noticed that with the hood closed the rattle seems to be coming from the front bumper area. When the hood is open it seems to be coming form under the engine somewhere.

Could this be a symptom of a bad motor or transmition mount?

I took a quick vid. I noticed that if I pushed on the head of the engine the rattle got a little louder so this is what the video is showing. Turn your volume up a little to be able to hear it, you can also hear it better toward the end. I apologize for the crappy quality.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qk8hnJtp24

Comment

that sounds symptomatic of a mount/bolt lose
                                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                                he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
                                X