No announcement yet.

3rd gen 1.6l lx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

torque converters help out with the whole automatics suck problem, automatics steal more torque than manuals do thats whyt a manual is quicker off the line. they are supposed to make it so the tranny doesnt steal as much torque but i have never seen one , also do you ahve a link to the place with the maumatic thing so i can read up on thanks a lot.

Comment

Are you trying to say that torque converters are what helps autos. If so you need to read up on your automatic trannys. The torqe converter is the part that works like a clutch on an auto tranny. They are pretty essential to your tranny.

You doomed to be worse off the line because they are filed with liquid however alot of them lock up when you hit a certin rpm making it so that they work exactly like a clutch. Not all torqe converters can do this though although im pretty sure the pros electronic tranny does though, around 2000rpm.

The reason the autos suck more power is because there are more moving parts in the tranny itself. and more moving parts means more power loss due to heat.

The manustick thing I found on google. Just search.

Comment

or you can get the wagner motorsports turbo kit, great work at reasonable price.
        .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
        225.94wtq
        torque monster!!!!
        dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
        http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
        http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Look for

Manual Valve Body: Turns your auto tranny into a partial-manual tranny.
          Manual valve bodies replace the automatic transmission's valve bodies with a manually controlled one. It is similar to using an AutoStick or Tiptronic except that it does not automatically upshift or downshift if you forget

And
          Shift Kit: Makes your auto tranny do the exact same thing it does now, but better.
          "Smooth shifting transmissions accomplish [smoother shifting] by being in two gears at once when shifting up. It's known as shift overlap. Shift kits reduce or eliminate the shift overlap and speed up actuation of the shift, hence the harder feel to the shift. A shift kit will reduce wear because you won't have the trans trying to be in two gears at once."

Thell help you out. They are the cheap ones. $200. But Im looking for some actual tiptronic stuff like the 6's have. Thouse things involve extensive screwing with everything. Maybe you can get mazda to rebuild your tranny with a manual-stick thing off a newer pro.

I got the info from the wagner motorsports one. Has anyone actually bought one yet. All I know of is bikman over at pclub. But he designed the thing, right?
          Last edited by zerocover; 12-02-2003, 07:35 PM.

Comment

What i was trying to say about the torque converter didnt come out right so just completely disregard that i understand what they do, after all the help everyone has given there are really only 2 things that are left before i decide what to do ..

Can my transmission handle the power from wagnermotorsports turbo?

and do they make a shift kit for my car and if so where can i get it ?

i also would like to know if anyone has an idea of what a quarter mile time would be with the turbo an auto ? i know no one has done it so any guesses or estimates would be great.

Comment

zerocover, you seem very knowledgable on my current topic of intrest: Shift Kits and trannny improvements.
              Do you have any mroe info I can read up on for teh shift kit and manual valve? will that significantly increase performance over my automatic? I was thinking about the full tranny modd but don't like teh $$ involved. This seems lieka good alternative, anywhere I can read up on it?
              Visit My Garage

Comment

bump

Comment

I used to have a 1.5L in my protege (1995 2nd gen) and to tell you the truth .. It was slow ass balls...
                  funny thing is that it's probably even with your 1.6L 5-speed.

I would just swap out the motor for a 1.8 or a 2.0 and just call it a wrap... either that or sell the car and get something faster, which may be a better option .
                  photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

dare I ask how expensive a 1.6 to 1.8 swap out would run me?
                    could I swap out to anything else? turn my car into some kind of monster sleeper?
                    Visit My Garage

Comment

I still really want info on that shift kit and manual valve, from zerocover . I am really intrested in that sort of thing.
                      Visit My Garage

Comment

well it all depends on you, if you have any skill at all to do it yourself, if you can find a good donor car with the 1.8, that has everything you need.lots of stuff, if your thinking to find a shop and just have them do it, then ass loads, you better have a money tree in your backyard,

and bruce the 1.5litre is slower than the 1.6 i have raced 2 of them and spanked them both, both from this board actually, one was an auto, one was a stick.
                        .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
                        225.94wtq
                        torque monster!!!!
                        dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
                        http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
                        http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

hrrm well I'm going scrap car hunting tomorrow actaully. this may eb dumb but could I ever switch back if I had to?
                          Visit My Garage

Comment

Originally posted by zerocover

I got the info from the wagner motorsports one. Has anyone actually bought one yet. All I know of is bikman over at pclub. But he designed the thing, right?
                            yup, I actually bought bikman's original setup. It's at 5psi nonintercooled. Car actually accelerates now
                            Want Projector Headlights ?

Comment

Originally posted by Iceman112k3
                              hrrm well I'm going scrap car hunting tomorrow actaully. this may eb dumb but could I ever switch back if I had to?
                              Thier are MANY things that need to be changed to swap a 1.6l to 1.8l .
                              Everything is in The FAQs.

I bought the 1.8l motor earlier this year from Tripoint Racing, but returned after finding out all that needed to be done. Everything totalled out to be over $5k (assuming everything went perfectly). After all that adding up, it turned out to be cheaper and wiser to just trade in for the 1.8 or even a 2.0

It's a waste of time and money for the minimal power gain. You will be doing a lot more than just swapping out the old and putting in the new.

Just get the turbo from Wagner and put yourself in the league with the Mazdaspeed.
                              Last edited by redrims; 12-17-2003, 10:51 PM.
                              Da SR20 Beast

Comment

Only thing I managed to save from my chat with TheMAN early this year.

"Re: Protege ECU question.
                                the MP3 ECU will work yes, but buying a new ECU whether the FP one or not will cost you a grand... find one off a wrecked pro... you'll need a new tranny from the 1.8 pro also... and if you go with the tranny off the 2.0 you'll need new axles... and regardless of what you do, you'll need new engine mounts anyway.... I am updating the FAQ with the swap info... but don't hold your breath

quote:
                                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

redrims wrote on March-31st-2003 04:59 PM:
                                I found a 1.8l FP-DE engine for a really good price and low mileage from tripoint. Included with the engine is the A/C compressor, Intake/Fuel Injectors, Throttle Body, Ignition Coils and wires, Exhaust manifold with preconverter and O2 sensor. Other than a new ECU, is there anything else that I will need. It also has no wiring harness.

How much do the stock 1.8 ECUs usually cost? Also, I was wondering if the 2.0 or MP3 ECU will work with the FP. The reason why I ask, is because "eeterp" said he used his 1.8 ecu for a while for his FS-ZE engine before getting the proper ECU for it. Since he did that, I was thinking it was vica versa also and that the FS ecu will work for the FP.

Thanks for the help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------__________________
                                TheMAN
                                '01 BJFP MT

This link has a few helpful comments.
                                Protegeclub.com
                                Da SR20 Beast

Comment

Working...
                                X