No announcement yet.

Help Me Build A Race Machine!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks. I've been reading up on people's experiences with different clutches, and I'm still sitting on the fence with what to go with. I'm leaning toward a 6-puck sprung setup, so there's a good balance of smoothness and torq. But I know a clutch is something you really gotta FEEL for yourself. I almost wanna test drive cars with different clutches to see how each performs. I'm sure I'd get used to whatever I end up choosing anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a sprung setup should give the driver smoother engagement, but more inertia when taking your foot off the gas. A solid setup has a harsher engagement but less inertia when letting off the gas, from what I understand. Is this right? So should it be easier to squeal your tires with a solid clutch, and should it be harder to slow down than with a sprung clutch?

And then there's the issue of quicker shifts with less pucks. How much faster can you shift with a 4-puck setup as opposed to a 6-puck? Do u notice a jolt when it shifts into gear? Is the engagement that harsh?

Comment

Who here is using a solid clutch or has experience with one?

Comment

i dont know if to post any more? since it seams you are taking what we have to say the wrong way. if you go with a clutch disk with no springs you are running the risk of braking your tran/mounts. also the engagement will make your tires chirp. and if you go turbo that chirp becomes a lost of traction when the tires brake loose its over. also the clutch has nothing to do with fast shifting. thats the sincro that determines how smooth your shift is. unless you are not getting proper clutch/hydro operations.
        the clutch job is simple to hold the mesh.= or transfer as much power to the drivetran with minimal slip.
        Last edited by 13thghost; 08-19-2008, 02:27 AM.
        GOD INVENTED TURBO LAG TO GIVE THE V8 A CHANCE!!!!!
        AND
        THE DEVIL INVENTED THE ''ANTILAG'' TO SHOW THEM NO MERSEY!!!!

Comment

I'm taking everybody's advice in stride, not in the wrong way. If you guys are really that passionate about swapping the 1.8 for something better, then I might do it, but for now I'm taking suggestions on other components.

So would you say a sprung 6-pad clutch would be my best option? And the only reason I was confused about the quickness of shifting with less pads is because they mention it on the ACT website here:

Unless they mean "POTENTIAL FOR fastest shifts", or they are talking about how quickly it engages.

Comment

get a cosworth engine thy the **** so strong u can run 650hp through them there 1.8 too lol the bdt i mean
            Mazda Familia GT-R: 241HP ATW and 387NM @17psi

i give my wife a quarter inch at a time for thoes ten seconds or less im free

I try to see things from your point of view...but I just can't seem to get my head THAT far up my ass.

Advertising your own forum on our website is not appreciated/allowed-Sincerely Administration Staff

sigpic

Comment

Enough with the engines already, lol.

Comment

So is a 6-pad sprung clutch overkill for what I wanna do? Is a modified street disc a better choice?

Comment

how many times are you going to bumb this thread asking the same goddamn question.

ZOMG you want to have 250 HP!!!1

A-your not going to even reach that much
                  B-if you THINK you'll put out 230flbs of torque get a clutch/pp that will handle that.
                  Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
                  kitty, you are a hilarious woman
                  Originally posted by HopelessCow
                  there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
                  Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

R u for real?! Kitty, I ask the same questions 'cause nobody is actually giving me a straight-up answer. I'm starting to think that SOME of you don't actually know what you're talking about. Why don't u just stop posting in this thread if you have a problem with me and my questions?

Comment

just look on peoples vpic gallerys it has details on what they have just find someone with a mad set up and copyit takes the quesswork out of parts if it works for them it will for you too.

I try to see things from your point of view...but I just can't seem to get my head THAT far up my ass.

Advertising your own forum on our website is not appreciated/allowed-Sincerely Administration Staff

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the idea, clouds.

Comment

its i love clouds gosh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kitty View Post
                            how many times are you going to bumb this thread asking the same goddamn question.

ZOMG you want to have 250 HP!!!1

A-your not going to even reach that much
                            B-if you THINK you'll put out 230flbs of torque get a clutch/pp that will handle that.
                            shut the **** up kitty you are such a negitve worthless pyle of ****!!!!!and vary anoying!!!!!!

build the car the way you want man take the helpful advice and file the BS in the trash! the car will be great, if you don't reach your numbers no big deal, you'll still love it and their is loads of respect due to you for trying man!
                            2002 protege ES/ header/2.5" exhaust/ CAI/ mazda speed cams(FROM JDM protege)/tein lowering springs/AWR 95 durameter motor mounts/B&M short shifter/ revised mazdaspeed limited slip differential/ exedy clutch/ fidenza light weight flywheel/ tokico struts/awr adjustable sway bar endlinks/stock wheels painted black W:riken raptor tires.

Comment

Originally posted by mazdaman2002 View Post
                              shut the **** up kitty you are such a negitve worthless pyle of ****!!!!!and vary anoying!!!!!!

build the car the way you want man take the helpful advice and file the BS in the trash! the car will be great, if you don't reach your numbers no big deal, you'll still love it and their is loads of respect due to you for trying man!
                              Not spelling things properly or using poor grammar is VARY ANOYING!!!!!!!

Nothing says awesome like a base model 3rd gen with 6k in aesthetic mods.
                              Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
                              kitty, you are a hilarious woman
                              Originally posted by HopelessCow
                              there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
                              Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Either you're here to help me out, or you're not here at all, period. I see some people have nothing better to do with their time. And I believe here in Canada that the 3rd generation base model is a '99 DX, 1.6L, automatic, hubcaps, no power options, no sunroof, no spoiler, no a/c, no tach, charcoal door handles and accents. I guess the U.S. base models are a little more fancy than those up here.

Anyway, another thing that's been on my mind lately is a rear disc conversion. Well, not just a rear disc conversion, but an entire big brake kit. Since I have 18" rims for cruisin', the stock front rotors and rear brake drums just wouldn't look right behind the wheels. Can anybody recommend a good big brake kit that'll work in the rear with the right hardware?

Comment

Working...
                                X