Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front or rear bearing? i need to replace my rear bearings. but at 260k its to be expected
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by proctorsprotege View Post
      Atlanticx how much for the rockers? Mine are lookin rough towards the rear

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
      My dad did them in our garage, so it was pretty cheap. I think both sides including paint was around $175.
      Last edited by AtlanticX; 05-04-2014, 02:22 PM. Reason: fixed price

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
        front or rear bearing? i need to replace my rear bearings. but at 260k its to be expected
        Which model do you have? two Timken rear hub assemblies was $125 shipped through RockAuto for my 1999.

Comment

it was the front bearing for me. I didn't realize how much the bearing noise was hiding engine and tire noises.

I saw the how-to on the rear bearing, which looks doable with hand tools. "doable" in heavy quotation marks. the anti-sway bar end links I installed were supposed to be 1 hour with hand tools, it took me 2 days with an angle grinder and I still needed to bring it in to a shop 2x to finish the job.

Comment

pulled apart the drivers front caliper cleaned it to a sparkle inside the piston bore replaced the brake line & bled the hell out of that corner. (it was dragging badly)
            not a fun job
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

pulled apart the drivers front caliper cleaned it to a sparkle inside the piston bore replaced the brake line & bled the hell out of that corner. (it was dragging badly)
              not a fun job

Comment

Yesterday was the first decent day to wash my car, finally! I need to pick up a new clay bar kit and Scratch X when I get paid. Many hours will be spent detailing it inside and out.

Comment

new Optima group 35 battery installed. to replace the Exide Orbital that only lasted 36 months, just barely inside the full warranty period. probably less than that as it was crappin out on me over the winter and it was too cold for me to be bothered. one thing i wished the dealer hadn't thrown away the battery cover. the battery with the provided height adapter fits but the OEM cover wouldve given the width an even cushion for the battery tie-down to do its job. fingers crossed on the new battery

Comment

my car is misfiring or something. what feels like severe clutch chatter when upshifting. i dared not go over 35mph to work today. the radiator is rattling so loud it looks like its about to hop off my car. none of this happened before I installed the battery. what did I do wrong?

Comment

lunch:

followed this fool word for word. this did fix a sticking/hard to turn steering wheel. the instructions say to do a 2 step application. half a can, once like scotty said. then again with no power steering fluid and only 1.5 cans worth. then a final flush and steering fluid fill. I might save the other half a can for another time, and do the goldstar method of manually exchanging the fluid in a couple weeks.

Comment

5 freakin hours even WITH an impact wrench!

i swear the last time did front rotors/pads it was 1.5 hours from wrench on to wrench off.

and i think my right caliper is stuck. i had the worst time trying to retract the piston, and during the bed it i could've swore the steering wheel pulled to the right. but i couldn't duplicate it and the car stayed straight.

Comment

did you bleed out the old fluid from the calipers??? if not get back in there & bleed them till you have clear fluid again

Comment

well! my right wheel was smokin! it was definitely seized as the car was slow and when I stopped on a hill the car didn't roll. and I seriously melted the brake grease to a white powder, and the glue holding the pre-installed shims on the pads blackened and fell off. replaced the caliper this morning, bled it, went to work. no smoke, steers straight.

yea i know I have to get back under to bleed the rest of the corners, but boy am I glad at least this chapter is over.

Comment

thats how my car was when I first got it. right caliper was siezed. once i swapped to the mazda 6 front brakes. the front left siezed. (PITA)
                              glad you got it sorted.

Comment

wow, that's bad luck. if I had planned better (and had more disposable income) I would've definitely upgraded to 626, MSP or mazda6 calipers, pads, and rotors. especially in the rear, that freakin adjustment screw is the bane of my existence.

Comment

Working...
                                X