Swaybar touching control arm possibly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swaybar touching control arm possibly?

The picture says it all. My rear stabilizer bar is touching another part of the suspension in the rear. I'm not sure what that part is exactly, but I know it's not a good thing. How might I remedy this? Shorter endlinks? Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-11-03_13-48-54_149.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	336.6 KB
ID:	1269658

the picture is hard to get a grasp on. could you take a picture showing more of the general area- per say from farther back.

Please & thanks
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Sure, I'll get under there this weekend.

Comment

awesome
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

i've seen people call the part your anti-sway bar is touching lateral links, and like 3 other names...
          ...from one semi-intelligent mans thoughts to yours, i'd describe it as being one of the 4 rods connecting the rear subframe (they bolt into the middle of the rear subframe) to the rear knuckles. This picture looks to be the passenger side of the car.

It definitely looks like you've got the wrong end-links on there, did you just change them? Is your car a protege5 or a sedan? There's different length rear end links for the regular protege sedan, the protege5 (which shares the same suspension with some sedan models equipped with a "sport suspension" option, i believe this shows up as "SSP" on the little vehicle information sticker on the inside of either the driver or passenger door sills) and the mazdaspeed protege.

..unfortunately, i can't remember how long any of the end links are, but i believe mazdaspeed rear endlinks are like 7.5 inches and protege5/sedans with the ssp option are like 6.8 inches.
          Measure your end links from the center of one bolt to the other for us, i'm pretty sure you've got the wrong links yo.

Comment

Looks like you for some reason have front endlinks on the rear. They're supposed to be a lot shorter. My mom just had that issue with replacing the links on her P5. She ordered a front and rear set but received (and subsequently had installed) 2 sets of fronts. When she told me it was clunking, I immediately knew why without even looking at it. Just buy a new pair for the rear, verifying the length first.
            Last edited by ThatGreenBG; 01-11-2013, 11:32 PM.
            Team Fail Motorsports

That's just the nature of the beach.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Chaney View Post
              Looks like you for some reason have front endlinks on the rear. They're supposed to be a lot shorter. My mom just had that issue with replacing the links on her P5. She ordered a front and rear set but received (and subsequently had installed) 2 sets of fronts. When she told me it was clunking, I immediately knew why without even looking at it. Just buy a new pair for the rear, verifying the length first.
              edit: just measured and they are 7.5. 2001 ES lowered on Tein s-techs with stock (uncut) bumpstop.

I lowered the car on Tein S-tech springs with some ebay (Stagg) struts, and bought those end links from O'reilly as they were the recommended for my car. You think I just need to buy some shorter ones?

I can't remember the length on the ones I bought, but I'm curious what people with the S-techs or similar are using.

I attached a much better picture of the area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP9609.jpg
Size:	329.4 KB
ID:	1234586
              Last edited by maw230; 01-27-2013, 11:18 AM.

Comment

yes. i would suggest shorter links for sure - that & im not sure your endlink is even mounted properly.

i want to lean towards the outer joint on the outside.
                anymore BJ guys have input here????

Comment

Yeah, definitely get shorter ones. That's what I was trying to convey with my first response.
                  Team Fail Motorsports

Comment

Right on, thanks for the insight people. I'll make sure the new ones are hooked up correctly :O

Comment

Just wanted to post an update. I installed some 6.5" endlinks and now the swaybar clears the other part just fine. 90% of the odd noises are gone I think.

However, still getting a strange clunk back there. Almost like a tin can being tossed around in a paint can while the mixer is on.

Comment

Make sure everything back there is tight. Like, inhumanly tight.
                        Team Fail Motorsports

Comment

there is one thing i haven't looked at yet. when i tried removing the rear swaybar one of the bolts completely broke off and the top half is still loose above the swaybar bracket. no clue how to remove it, but it could be a source of noise.

Comment

^I would say that could be part of your problem right there. You may need to relocate that bracket because the noise will never go away unless you do.

I've never heard of stagg struts, but I would possibly look at replacing them. I had my 97 protege sitting on some weird ebay struts and even though the owner before me claimed he has "just replaced the struts"....they still made noise. A new set of monroes cured the "clunk".
                            R.I.P. 97 Proto LX> Car killed the deer, but the deer killed the car
                            108,659 Mi.

2003 Mazda Protégé> 140k miles

Comment

I may be tired or not seeing things right, but is the sway bar facing the wrong way? I thought they pointed towards the front of the car, not the back?

Click image for larger version

Name:	306088L.gif
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1235310

Also if you snapped one of the sway bar mount bolts, I'd drill it out and secure it with a nut at the back side, my BG did the same thing but was an easy fix.
                              -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Working...
                              X