What can I do to upgrade my brakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

make that good tires and good brake pads

SS only improves pedal feel, doesn't really improve braking power that much.

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

No, the wheels still spun, cause my rims are scratched almost all the way around the lip

... so 2nd gen ES are 4 lugs? gotta find me some 2nd gen ES rotors and calipers then i reckon. good show, mate
      2002 Protege LX
      ] Eibach Pro Springs [] Tokico HP shocks [] AWR rear swaybar [] PIAA Super Plasma GT-X [] custom CAI [] 30% all-around tints [] 17" Flik Wasps / Kumho Ecsta 711 tires [] APC Eurotails [

Comment

Originally posted by Unleashed
        No, the wheels still spun, cause my rims are scratched almost all the way around the lip

... so 2nd gen ES are 4 lugs? gotta find me some 2nd gen ES rotors and calipers then i reckon. good show, mate

how did the rims get scratched? that doesn't make any sense at all....
        "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
        -93 MR2, 129 ES
        ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
        Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

the stock brakes on ANY car sold in the USA can lock the brakes up from mild speeds. tires are therefore, more important

im sorry if you don't understand this...
          -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

I won't be able to lock my wheels even if my life depended on it.
            But that's probably because I have air in my brake lines or some **** like that...

Comment

Get them bled and while you're at it, install some SS brake lines. It makes a world of difference in your pedal feel. I did this the other day with the help of a friend. It's not a hard job if you know what you're doing.

Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Pedal feel. Is that all? Doesn't it help even a little with stopping power?

Comment

Assuming there's air in your lines, then it will improve your stopping power.
                  Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

In my case it is going to make a difference because my brakes need bleeding anyway. But in Jo's case it won't make a difference. Is this correct? I think someone else mentioned that in an earlier post.

Comment

stainless lines just don't allow the lines to flex...giving a more direct feel.

it's a hydraulic system. the harder you press, the harder the caliper squeezes the rotor. air in the line is compressible, which is what kills it....it compresses instead of sending that pressure to the caliper. Again, OEM brake systems are more than you should ever need on the street. Even in mild racing applications like autocross, the cheapy autozone stuff is fine...as long as everything is working properly. For reference, I just won STX in a Civic Si at the DC National Tour with the cheapest pads that Autozone sold for the car...brakes were FINE.
                      -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

jesse you were here for the nationals???? why didn't you say anything???

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

Get stainless steel lines. If you depress your pedal 1/3 of the way down and your lines flex, your calipers will not squeeze as tight as if you had no flex at all at 1/3 of pedal. They are correct, the pedal will be much more firm and harder to depress. But 1/3 of a depressed pedal with no flex in the lines, seems to me, will apply more pressure to your caliper.
                          Tony
                          Intense Performance
                          Mazda Club
                          of South Florida

www.ipmcsfl.com
                          www.responsenegative.com
                          www.cystband.com

I'm happy because Dima speeds, which makes him happy. He seems to be happy only when speeding, which makes me happy. And when I'm happy people around me are able to live another day. If you are alive right now, you should thank Dima.

Comment

just wanted to let everyone know that www.precisionbrakescompany.com makes big brake upgrades for all 3rd gen protege's. they even do rear disc conversions for drum brakes. all of their parts are willwood. biknman already has the front and rear conversion, my front upgrade should be in this week.

Comment

Originally posted by ZoomZoomH
                              jesse you were here for the nationals???? why didn't you say anything???

Hank....sorry man! you shoulda known I'd be there

I've been in DC the last 2 weekends. Next time I'll be there is late August, but only down in the Norfolk area for the final Divisional before Nationals.
                              -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

big brake kits typically run around $1400. You willing to spend that much Motegi?
                                My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
                                JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
                                AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

C-17 Pilot--Jonathan--ProTuner

Comment

Working...
                                X