H type helical LSD(Mfactory)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ that box had to be loud with the diff like that
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

suprisingly no it wasnt.....maybe I couldnt tell over the broken engine mounts :lol:

The current box is making a horrible grinding noise out of the diff, so I would say its much worse. If I drive it I have to make sure I dont have to turn left.

Considering, that I havent done any burnouts on the current box (or the original), it just goes to show how weak the diffs in them really are.

I would have launched them pretty hard tho, but I always try to get away with the minimum of wheelspin.

Havent started on it yet, looks like a job for a few afternoons this week

Comment

this weekend i'll be assembling my transmission. i'll post some pictures along the way
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

assembled
          Spins smoothly like hot butter on glass

Comment

At last my gearbox is going in the car....this project seems to have been going on for an eternity.

Done most of the work this week, only have to put the driveshafts back in, fill er up with oil and put back all the air piping, air box etc.

About another couple of hours...hopefully have it running by next weekend assuming I cant find time for the last little bit....

Comment

you may beat me to it i want my car on the road by the 1st

Keep us updated

Comment

who has there diffs in? i just got my g series one installed in my kia trans, works great but when its cold i think the diff is locked and when i turn i can hear the tire skipping, it dont sound good, once its warmed up its golden. what trans fluid are people running? i used royal purple synchromesh

Comment

rick this is the H series you should post that in the G series thread.

most of us run ATF

Comment

I am just putting normal mineral 75-90 in it for the run in period I'll see about what I am going to use in it after that.

Comment

Well....after what seems like one thousand centuries....its in...and it drives.

So far its passed the drive round the block test, no leaks and no funny noises...so I'll drive it everywhere for the next few weeks.

And its so much quieter than my old box...which must have well and truly been on its last days....its good to have 3rd again, as well as a 2nd that doesnt need double clutching to get it to go in...yay.

Comment

impression so far??

Comment

I dont do impressions....

I havent been willing to give it a bootfull until its been run in.....but it feels different when driving around corners under power.

Comment

Yeah, I have done 500km of running in, and given it a few moments of "testing", and so far reasonably happy.

I have never driven a car with a helical LSD before.

Straight line dry grip is much better, I have managed to launch much better with no single wheelspin...win there, its significantly faster.

cornering and wet weather straight line probably isnt what I would have hoped as there isnt enough traction to stop single wheelers, and lifting the inside wheel under cornering doesnt help. I might drop down a front stabiliser bar size and up the rear one size to try and keep the two front wheels on the road longer.

A helical still needs both wheels on the road to work.....but this is on my daily drive, so its fine. The good thing about a helical its zero maintenance.

Probably in track car I would still go for a clutch LSD. but thats where maintenance and streetability are less of an issue. I might take this car out to the next track day and see how it goes..

In terms of how well this stops the H type trans blowing up, It should now take 400+hp if any of the guys who currently have helical LSDs in their cars are anything to go by.

And the curious thing is that the steering wheel does fight a bit harder to get back to straight ahead....if you have power steer, its no issue, without, it might be.
                            Torque steer....almost gone.......not that it ever bothered me that much, I was interested more in getting the power on the road.

If you have driven a powerful FWD with unequal length driveshafts then you'll know what bad torque steer is!

Curiously too, my fuel economy improved by 10%.....yes I drove carefully during the run in period....but that by itself doesnt make this kind of difference, it could be that my rebuilt trans has much less fricition.
                            Last edited by chief tool; 12-07-2010, 12:47 AM.

Comment

by 10%? what other changes did you make?

Comment

None....thats why its curious.

It could be just sheer good luck, I found it odd too as I had the a/c running for some of that trip too......

As far as I can determine there was nothing seriously wrong when I pulled the box out to replace it.

I get about 20MPG normally, and I got nearly 23MPG......

Comment

Working...
                                X