Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[GI] GB Recaro mx-3 seat covers (92-93 seats)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want Spandex. Can we get a spandex seat cover?

Comment

I also don't understand mixing your seat surfaces, ie vinyl and swuede. I also don't really understand using swuede at all, I believe that with the heavy usage it will burnish and wear much more easily than any other seating material. Is this just a passing fad in the auto world that in my olde farness have just missed hearing about? haha
      Good used heavy duty (never mind industrial) machines go for about $350-1000). The one I wanted was a very used but well maintained Pfaff heavy duty machine (not industrial, those are well over $1000 used) and the guy wanted $500 for it and it sold pretty fast for being out here in the boonies, this is the type of machine you'd see at a typical auto interior shop like seen on American HotRod. That seller used it for making horse tack and would easily do auto grade leathers without breaking a sweat. Any machine you see for sale and can just take with you off the shelf at any store will NOT hold up with this kind of work.
      Bill.

Comment

I think the whole point to the suede insert is the fact that it isn't slippery as hell like leather and vinyl. A lot of members mentioned that they didn't prefer leather/vinyl since it was overall uncomfortable in hot weather and made it difficult to keep your ass planted during aggressive driving or racing.

Everyone seems to miss the functionality point to the suede....
        1992 Mazda Protege DX Manual - 5/30/2006 R.I.P
        1992 Mazda Protege LX former Manual - 2/2/2010 Parts Donor
        1994 Mazda Protege LX Manual swap Daily Driver W.I.P.

Comment

^ Thanks buddy, you actually understand! lol I mean if you think suede gets hot, then you should think about vinyl. Vinyl attracts more heat since it stores it in the rubber/plastic material.

Comment

I understand all of the arguments each way.
            It's just that swuede only has one functional purpose in an auto seat, and you're right, it's to keep your ass planted.
            However, in the grand scheme of things most of us would rarely be in that position to "need" it. If you're running at the track you'd likely put a cover over your seat so you're not getting the interior dirty (pit mishaps, etc.) and you're going to have proper harness restraints. I would also wager that most of us don't live in areas where the spirited driving gets to the point that we're talking about, I happen to live in a good place for that and I still wouldn't choose swuede for my seats.
            Swuede gets hot too, not as hot as leather, and of course not nearly as hot as vinyl. Swuede with wear much more easily than the other two and it will get that burnished look a lot more quickly on the drivers seat. Swuede with pill and get stuck to your clothes with the shearing that takes place with everyday getting in/out of the seat.
            If I were making the seat covers, I'd make them in any material the buyer wanted but only after a discussion of it. It's pretty simple to offer swuede, just turn over your leather material!
            Bill.

Comment

Alright, I think I found the solution to this GB. It's going to be cheaper and easier for everyone. Like mentioned before, there are different ideas of what material/color to use. So what I'm doing it's leaving it up to you to get me the fabric that you want it done in. That would drop the price a little. What do you guys think?

In the other hand, I have been looking for sewing machines and I cannot find the one that I'm looking for locally. I hope to have one by the end of this month. I got my seat cover's pieces all cut out and ready to be sewed together, so it's just right around the corner!

Comment

Can a mod close this GB down? I don't think I will be available for this. Too busy right now with other stuff. Maybe this fall or something IDK.

Comment

Originally posted by mx-3_4evr View Post
                  Can a mod close this GB down? I don't think I will be available for this. Too busy right now with other stuff. Maybe this fall or something IDK.
                  Not a problem
                  1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                  1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                  2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                  2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                  .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Working...
                  X