No announcement yet.

FS 1987 323 GTX (Phx, AZ)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I told the engine shop to hit the brakes on my rebuild. hopefully I don't owe them anything yet, and it's not too late to just junk the dx and the kia and peddle what parts are desirable. which is pretty much the tranny and axles.

Ya'll wanting to spend a grand shipping the thing across the country sure makes me want to consider it. It'd be cheaper than rebuilding my BP, too.

No mufflers, no a/c and no rear interior doesn't get me excited. Cheap, 4wd and turbo does, though. I'm gonna try to meet up with jrally and see what I think.

oh and for you guys that want a gtx, here's a list of some that are for sale across the country.
    An informal directory listing of Mazda 323 GTX cars, parts and services: for sale and wanted to buy.
    Last edited by Sever; 01-07-2008, 01:26 PM.
    92 DX - Wrecked on 1/6/08
    2000 ES w/ MSP drivetrain swap
    If you have a daily-drivable 5sp Familia (any gen) you want to trade hit me up

Comment

Well, I guess I hadn't looked at the car much, closely, lately. Seems like the head gasket has finally popped, explaining the overheating issue it was having from the previous owner. And the rusted sunroof finally started leaking, with all the rain we've been getting here in AZ. It's a clean spill, straight water all over the passenger seat. So, I guess the price will be dropping a bit. :-( (or I fix the head gasket and raise the price slightly)

$1900 OBO w/ needing the head gasket done.

-Jon R.
      Last edited by jrally; 01-08-2008, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Any word on the head gasket?

Comment

How do you mean? It's certainly bad. You can buy a new one for about $50. I don't have plans to fix it myself right now.

-Jon R.

Comment

BUMP. UPDATES? is it sold?

Comment

Nothing lately. It's still for sale. I get one or two people asking about it per week, but one serious yet. It's a great little car, begging for a 1.8 GTX swap.

-Jon R.

Comment

what company makes the gauges you have in the alternate cluster?

they're not flash at all and I feel that would be better than a bright blue one in the bg.
                Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
                kitty, you are a hilarious woman
                Originally posted by HopelessCow
                there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
                Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Those are Autometer Phantom guages.
                  -Jon R.

Comment

Bump... This car is still up for sale, still need it gone at some point. Otherwise, I'll have to either sell it piece by piece or finish the build up sometime down the road...

-Jon R.

Comment

Oh man, don't part it out! I know you'd make out alright, but it'd be such a shame. The car really is dialed and complete, once that head is fixed it'll be killer.
                      If you keep it, what else were you going to do?

Comment

Continue to develope it as a track car. Race seats, cage, harnesses, etc... But, seems like nobody wants one of these sweet little cars anymore. I guess, when I get time, I'll have to swap a fresher Miata engine in, then sell it for a higher price, running well...

-Jon R.

Comment

Part of the problem has to be the rarity of the car. People are worried about parts availability if anything goes wrong. They even had the GTX on Jalopnik's Project Car Hell. http://jalopnik.com/347851/pch-subco...urbo-geo-metro Granted, it had more to do with the likelihood of the car having been abused. Still, people had things like this to say:

One word of warning if you decide that a 323 GTX is for you, and perhaps this should have been mentioned in the summary for true hellishness -- to say the parts are hard to find is an understatement. You want stock rear struts? Too bad, they don't make 'em anymore. That ultra-rare 4WD transmission blow up on you? Better find a good tranny mechanic who knows what he's looking at, and can not only work with what's there, but possibly be able to fabricate parts.

That's why most people who own a 323 GTX, own 2. One for driving, the other for parts (it's not too hard to find one wrecked, shockingly).

My family currently has 3 (wanna buy one a mostly rebuilt rally car? [www.taborrallyteam.com]), and that's down from the 5 we had at one point in time.
                          323? Gears made of beautiful brittle glass, encased in a gearbox housing made of the finest taffy the world can provide.

In the height of their use as factory rally cars, they used to change gearboxes as a precaution at service intervals during the rally, because they were that fragile.
                          They're overexagerrating. For one thing the rally cars made alot more than 130HP, so it would make sense that they wear out transmissions. In reality they're quite strong. I don't mean to talk people out of buying jrally's GTX or anything. Actually, I'm probably going to regret not having bought it if he ever does sell it. It's a money thing for me, but It has more to do with creature comforts, I'm so used to A/C and a bigger car...

Comment

If I could afford the truck and car, I'd buy both down there and drive back here, as it'd be nice to have the rally car and the street car. but it's all dreams out of my finances.
                            No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

Working...
                            X