[WTB] GTR AWD system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is exactly what he is saying.

Research autocross classing structure and you'll see why.
    My ClubProtege.com Feedback Thread

MOSI Race Dynamics
    - Aftermarket Parts Sales & Services MOSI Race Dynamics Feedback Thread

Comment

i have the handbook for the scca and the way i read it the class i'm going into with the bp swap is the same class i'll be in if i do the awd swap... so if i'm running around 250+ whp with awd i figured that should be decent as far as a competitive car goes... unless i'm completely missing what you both are saying
      In the Garage
      Black 93 MX-3 GS
      Bp powered
      GTR Drive Train

The ProjectMx build thread
      MyCardomain[/SIZE]

"Shut up, at least the bunnies are on fire!"

Comment

would i be better with the bp and fwd instead of the awd?
        In the Garage
        Black 93 MX-3 GS
        Bp powered
        GTR Drive Train

MyCardomain[/SIZE]

Comment

Your best bet would be to properly class your car with engine swap and all other modifications, then go out to an event and see the cars that are running against you. Or even participate and see their times vs. yours.

With my K8 swap (not even ZE!) I'm automatically classed with cars that are fully gutted, caged, fiberglass doors, plexiglass windows, no hood/hatch - the works.

Sure there's only two of us in the class, so you could technically say I came in second place...but he was consistantly 10 seconds quicker than me on a 50 second course.

MOSI Race Dynamics

Comment

with just the engine swap, you would be in SM (Street Modified) of which you could be competing against built up M3's with 30K in cash dumped into them thats nationally, locally it'll be a different story.

With the AWD swap, you'd be in a class even more competitive, here in SoCal you'd be in CSM (California Street Mod) going against full blown STis and EVOs, crazy Miata's and other monsters.

sounds to me like your just building a fun car and not a specific autox car. so just go have fun or pick a class and build it to the very inch of the rules.

Comment

Yeah, my car is built for me...my class only applies for 5minutes a year, so to hell with it!

MOSI Race Dynamics

Comment

according to SCCA's Street Modified category i can make any drive train modification as long as the engine manufacturer and car manufacturer are both the same... so doesn't that mean the awd swap would keep me in the same classification no matter if i did the bp swap only or the bp and awd swap? sorry if i seem dense... i just want to make sure i don't miss out on a chance to milk every upgrade the class will let me.. i've been wanting to do the bp swap for a while.. and it seems that the swap will automatically put me in the SM class so if the AWD swap keeps me in that class then shouldn't i do it? if i'm wrong i appologize but i want to be sure before i give that dream up
                In the Garage
                Black 93 MX-3 GS
                Bp powered
                GTR Drive Train

MyCardomain[/SIZE]

Comment

I know it wouldn't be allowed up here...but our classing system is slightly different. Maybe Darryl can clarify that for ya.

MOSI Race Dynamics

Comment

email from doug gill with SCCA:
                    Yes, a Protégé engine in an MX-3 would be a Street Modified (SM) car. The drivetrain in SM is unrestricted, but it needs to bolt-in to the original MX-3 unibody. You’re not allowed to re-fabricate the unibody for the engine and drivetrain. There was a Ford Focus that was RWD with a Ford 302 V8 installed in it. And it all fit!

I just sent him an email for a little more clarification on re-fabricating the unibody but i'm hoping minor mods to fit the system doesn't constitute re-frabrication.. so if it turns out i stay in SM class regardless of doing AWD or not doing it why should i not to AWD?
                    In the Garage
                    Black 93 MX-3 GS
                    Bp powered
                    GTR Drive Train

MyCardomain[/SIZE]

Comment

as i understand the rules, (i only have my 2005 book) subframes cannot be swapped, everything in and around it can be mod'd, and since the subframe must be swapped to fit in the AWD system, therefore rendering it illegal for SM.

I went thru this with Jesse when i wanted to swap the MX3 subframe on my Protege.

Have him clarify the subframe swap is legal and your good.

Comment

what exactly is the subframe? the part between the control arms?
                        In the Garage
                        Black 93 MX-3 GS
                        Bp powered
                        GTR Drive Train

MyCardomain[/SIZE]

Comment

yes, the part that bolts to the unibody and holds all the suspension/brake components and in the AWD case, holds the diff and axles.

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
                            by *him* i mean the guy from SCCA

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
                              as i understand the rules, (i only have my 2005 book) subframes cannot be swapped, everything in and around it can be mod'd, and since the subframe must be swapped to fit in the AWD system, therefore rendering it illegal for SM.

I went thru this with Jesse when i wanted to swap the MX3 subframe on my Protege.

I dont think that they kept the inline 4 subframe when doing that 302 in the focus. You know that had to be changed.
                              The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

he said it is the unibody that must remain ... so i'm thining it will be ok.. but i'll ask that to be sure.. thanks for all the help.. kinda funny this thread is really for me to find the parts... but has led to quite the discussion.. and i'm glad you are all so helpful as opposed to "the man" who in his usual style would rather tear people and ideas down than be helpful.. sorry "the man" but i've been in this site for a few years and have yet to see you be anything bu pessimistic and mean to people... you are very rarely kind and helpful
                                In the Garage
                                Black 93 MX-3 GS
                                Bp powered
                                GTR Drive Train

MyCardomain[/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
                                X