No announcement yet.

[WTB] GTR AWD system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I couldn't tell you to the extent of the custom fabbing required (josh would be the one to have to spill the beans about that one to ya) but I would assume with a 4wd protege as a donor, minimal fabrication would be required since the EC and the BG share the same basic unibody.
    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

It's a whole other car under there in the back (and the front too)...but that's just my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I think swapping the drivetrain into the MX is really cool.
      My ClubProtege.com Feedback Thread

MOSI Race Dynamics
      - Aftermarket Parts Sales & Services MOSI Race Dynamics Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by projectmx
        he said it is the unibody that must remain ... so i'm thining it will be ok.. but i'll ask that to be sure.. thanks for all the help.. kinda funny this thread is really for me to find the parts... but has led to quite the discussion.. and i'm glad you are all so helpful as opposed to "the man" who in his usual style would rather tear people and ideas down than be helpful.. sorry "the man" but i've been in this site for a few years and have yet to see you be anything bu pessimistic and mean to people... you are very rarely kind and helpful
        installing 4WD into your MX-3 for fun AND performance is one thing... but doing it so you'll be badass at the races is just DUMB... because your car will get stomped all over by the big boys that have REAL race cars.... it's the same thing as talking big but showing next to nothing

pessimistic? I don't think so... practical/REALISTIC? yes!
        TheMAN
        '01 BJFP MT
        '05 BK3P HB AT

Come see the Protege FAQ

No, I don't own an MP5.
        No, I don't drive a Protege 5.

Originally posted by R240NAII:
        It's always, "hi, I'm 16, a flaming pissant, and have my parents hard-earned money that I'd like to blow, hold my hand and walk me through a course on driftnng/boosting/driving, but remember that I'm not intelligent enough to understand anything and will repeatedly ask the same basic, moronic questions, over and over again".

What happens when you send me PMs such as:
        -Sending me a stupid question (no common sense, no logic, impractical, etc)
        -Sending me a question that can be found searching or in the FAQ
        -Sending me an illegible question (ie: bad grammar)
        No you WON'T get flamed, you'll get ignored. The results will vary if you send flames/insults

Comment

why would a 300 whp AWD mx-3 on slicks with highly upgraded suspension get stomped by other cars? i saw a miata with 1.6L turbo / mild suspension upgrade / slicks tear up a new evo with a VERY good driver this year and it also took on a Z06 and lost by 0.075 seconds on a 60 second course ... so why exactly can't my car do well when i finish? I will be racing in the same class regardless of going AWD or staying FWD from what the guy at the SCCA told me since my base frame and body will remain stock (although we might at some foam stiffiner we discovered). I am still not sure i'm doing to AWD swap cause i'm waiting to hear from josh on what all he did but somehow it doesn't seem like a dumb idea to push my car to the extent of the rules of my class
          In the Garage
          Black 93 MX-3 GS
          Bp powered
          GTR Drive Train

The ProjectMx build thread
          MyCardomain[/SIZE]

"Shut up, at least the bunnies are on fire!"

Comment

oh and he also beat the living crud out of a sports package 2005 lotus elise
            In the Garage
            Black 93 MX-3 GS
            Bp powered
            GTR Drive Train

The ProjectMx build thread
            MyCardomain[/SIZE]

"Shut up, at least the bunnies are on fire!"

Comment

I have talked to alot of racers and confirmed that the subframe swap required for the AWD system, will infact bump you OUT of Street Mod and into a Prepared class.

here is a link to the 2006 Solo2 rules
              http://scca.com/_filelibrary/File/2006_solo_rules.pdf
              Last edited by MazdaRacer; 12-20-2005, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Alls I know is if I were to do that to my car up here, I'd be in a hell of a competitive class.

Getting a homebrewed AWD setup to be competitive with cars that actually came with an AWD setup can be quite challenging.
                My ClubProtege.com Feedback Thread

MOSI Race Dynamics
                - Aftermarket Parts Sales & Services MOSI Race Dynamics Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
                  with just the engine swap, you would be in SM (Street Modified) of which you could be competing against built up M3's with 30K in cash dumped into them thats nationally, locally it'll be a different story.
                  Yeah, but 3K is exhaust and 10-15K is the supercharger setup . Not saying an M3 with 30K won't be fast, its just that same 30K woiuld get you further with another car........Though I would love to drive an M3 CSL
                  2005 Mazda 3

Comment

Originally posted by projectmx
                    why would a 300 whp AWD mx-3 on slicks with highly upgraded suspension get stomped by other cars? i saw a miata with 1.6L turbo / mild suspension upgrade / slicks tear up a new evo with a VERY good driver this year and it also took on a Z06 and lost by 0.075 seconds on a 60 second course ... so why exactly can't my car do well when i finish? I will be racing in the same class regardless of going AWD or staying FWD from what the guy at the SCCA told me since my base frame and body will remain stock (although we might at some foam stiffiner we discovered). I am still not sure i'm doing to AWD swap cause i'm waiting to hear from josh on what all he did but somehow it doesn't seem like a dumb idea to push my car to the extent of the rules of my class

Here is one putting out 360HP/340ft-lb
                    2005 Mazda 3

Comment

Working...
                    X