• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put a poll up with different options..

USDM 4wd Protege
    JDM 4wd GTX
    JDM 4wd GTR

there we go we can now decipher how many US vs JDM 4wds there are.

Comment

Mine is 50% USDM, 25% JDM, 25% EDM..
      1990 Protege 4wd: BP05 forged internals, Mild ported head, GTR intake manifold, Gates racing timing belt, GTX transmission, Stage 3 clutch, 60trim T-3 turbo, Custom down pipe,3" Stainles exhaust, , Walbro fuel pump, RB-Performance fmic kit, HKS bov, Aurfa coilovers, F&R drilled slotted rotors, 16" BBS wrapped with Advan Novea tires, EDM glass headlights with HID's, Familia front and rear bumpers.

Boosted 1990 4WD
      http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32462

sigpic

Comment

Im here in charlotte nc. I have a 1990 4wd protege with the oringal paint and rebuilt stock motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Shag View Post
          Im here in charlotte nc. I have a 1990 4wd protege with the oringal paint and rebuilt stock motor.

you'll never take me alive

Comment

That car looks sooooo nice I wish mine was looking that good

Comment

Originally posted by Justbp-me View Post
              That car looks sooooo nice I wish mine was looking that good
              ya ya if its ever to be sold i wanna know
              you'll never take me alive

Comment

Im Ian out of Denver and i have 90' 4wd maroon with sunroof. All stock for now!
                More doors=More whores.

1990 AWD Protege'(Minty'n'stock)
                1990 Toyota Cressida(5spd,coils,LSD)

Comment

Originally posted by drewskie777 View Post
                  ya ya if its ever to be sold i wanna know
                  if it is you will hear about it

Comment

This is a great thread. I found it by doing a search for 4WD Proteges. I am trying to figure out how many of the 4WD variants of the Proteges were made, and how do you think they compared [numbers wise] with the 4WD Nissan Sentras.

I would imagine that both are kind of scarce today with having spent their lives in the salt belts.

I own a regular Protege DX, but I also own an '89 4WD Sentra.

I think both cars were ahead of their time, and didn't sell well as a result. Of course, today they would have sold many more than in late 80's and early 90's.

Mike
                    Check out my 4WD Compact Car thread.

Comment

hmm thats uncommon. I didnt know that they made those. The thing about the 4wd protege is that its not really "4wd" its more like "AWD". Its called fulltime 4wd with a locking center diff that lets all four wheels spin at the same time. Even with the diff off driving all four wheels are spinning. Now must 4wd drives are two wheel drives untill you hit a button or something like that, then all four wheel spin..but you cant drive it like that forever..you can blow a diff. So with that said haha what one is your sentra?

Also im not sure how many were made...but Im sure less than 2500...anyone know the answer to that question?

Comment

hmm thats uncommon. I didnt know that they made those.
                        Yes, they made them from '87 through '90 [but I've never seen a '90]. Mine's an '89.
                        The thing about the 4wd protege is that its not really "4wd" its more like "AWD". So with that said haha what one is your sentra?
                        Thanks for the reply. The 87 and 88's were part time 4WD [all were 1.6 8 valve cars with manual 5 speeds] with a button in the shifter to engage the transfer case. For '89 Nissan gave it a new 12 valve 1.6 engine, did away with the engagement system, and added a viscous center diff [like the original WRX's]. They still called them 4WD, but they were now actually AWD. I swapped in a rear Subaru clutch type lsd diff to the rear of my Sentra. Now it's the same sysytem as modern AWD cars.

Comment

Thats pretty cool. Yeah when I was looking at it I was thinking it might have some parts that could mix match with a subie. yeah the proteges awd are 1.8l 16valve sohc. If you looked through this thread though you saw they are driect swaps with 1.8l dohc turbos out of the mazda GRT. They alos have limited slip diff for the car. What all can you do for your sentra as far as the enginge and suspension goes? Im diggin the five door though..it would be cool to see one of those things with 200+bhp!

Comment

What all can you do for your sentra as far as the enginge and suspension goes? Im diggin the five door though..it would be cool to see one of those things with 200+bhp!
                            Thanks for asking. I swapped a 16V engine and recently added a turbo to my 4WD Sentra. Not quite 200 h.p., but still much better than the 90 hp that was stock. There's a thread about it HERE. Suspension wise, all front suspension parts interchange with a '91-'94 SE-R so the skys the limit there. The rear struts and springs are unique to the 4WD cars though, so nothing much swappable in the rear.

Does anyone on these boards with a 4WD Protege ice race or winter rally with them?

Comment

wow dude.. mad props on the car and the racing! I think your car is my new definition of sleeper..

Im not sure who rallys.. I autox.

Comment

Jay rallys, Sarg rallyx and ice races. I honestly can't think of anyone else who owns 4WDs that race. most just drive them.
                                No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

Working...
                                X