Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would enjoy rallying mine..I just dont have the money for it..I know that is harrrdd on a car. Youd be replacing things after every event haha. I have found the car to be very competaive in autox though..

Comment

Great scott, the 4WD's are coming out of the woodwork!!

I don't know how I sit on the whole 4WD/AWD terminology. I mean, on a car with 4 wheels, awd and 4wd both work. on, say a big truck with tandem axles as well as a front drive axle, they call it a 6x6, rather than an AWD, which it technically is.

personally, since the car says 4WD on it, I choose to say 4WD most of the time, just because.

There are actually all sorts of cars out there that came awd, that are little known.... that sentra, the protege, a Tempo, there was a Buick also, a honda, some toyotas, it's really kind of interesting.

If you can't afford full-on stage rally (it does take a pile of cash, just ask Jay), you could at least have fun at some rallyX action. I've pounded my protege a few times, and the worst thing was I got a slow rimleak from sliding sideways and hitting a rock. ice and dirt got into the bead, and I had to dismount the tire, and clean the bead before it would hold air solidly again. Oh, I had to poke out some ice that had formed inside my rim causing to be really unbalanced, but otherwise, no worse (or so it seems so far) than an autoX.. just more time sideways, lol!

--sarge

Comment

sarge, i seen those rally pics from that set-up that guy had in junction city on cwssc, looks fun, im in plover about a 10 min drive to jun.city, yesterday i took my awd pro out for it 1st run with the bp and boost, it was very fun a hole new experiance than fwd. i still have to work some bugs out, and the car does not have plates on it either.
        5 boosted bp cars,why...

Comment

Blownb310- That is one badass GA-T setup i had no idea there was that turbo kit available. Wish i woulda knew that when i had my old b13, that thing was rad.

Ive seen all those cars too sarge. The wierd AWD Tempo is the hardest to believe haha, thing is hideous. The All-Trac series from toyota is just sweet(even the SC previa). I had an all-trac Camry for like 3 days then it got rear ended and totalled. Saddest day ever, i bought it for 400 bux from a high school girl. Damn she was a retard. Those things look straight ballin with the lexus es250 front and rear end. And ofcourse a 3SGTE swap
          More doors=More whores.

1990 AWD Protege'(Minty'n'stock)
          1990 Toyota Cressida(5spd,coils,LSD)

Comment

Yeah I would like to get into rally cross.. we will see what happens over then next year. I want to stay in HS autx for now..then when I have some boost we will see about rallyx

Comment

This is how mine is going to be treated once my motor build-up is finished.

Ken Block Gymkhana Practice www.kenblockracing.comFor more information check us out at http://www.dcshoes.com
              1990 Protege 4wd: BP05 forged internals, Mild ported head, GTR intake manifold, Gates racing timing belt, GTX transmission, Stage 3 clutch, 60trim T-3 turbo, Custom down pipe,3" Stainles exhaust, , Walbro fuel pump, RB-Performance fmic kit, HKS bov, Aurfa coilovers, F&R drilled slotted rotors, 16" BBS wrapped with Advan Novea tires, EDM glass headlights with HID's, Familia front and rear bumpers.

Boosted 1990 4WD
              http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32462

sigpic

Comment

Hahah yeah.. I won't even drive mine through any dirt..I spoil it with wax

Comment

Originally posted by Shag View Post
                  I won't even drive mine through any dirt..I spoil it with wax
                  Traitor!! That's like having a child, and keeping them locked in the basement, only eating white bread and uncooked hot dogs and wearing expensive designer clothes.

--sarge

Comment

Originally posted by TurboProto View Post
                    This is how mine is going to be treated once my motor build-up is finished.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs-jAImScms
                    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    5 boosted bp cars,why...

Comment

How you gonna keep from spitting tranny shrapnel over 3 counties the first time you hammer it with 500hp?
                      '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                      '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                      http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Originally posted by SgtRauksauff View Post
                        Traitor!! That's like having a child, and keeping them locked in the basement, only eating white bread and uncooked hot dogs and wearing expensive designer clothes.

--sarge
                        Dont worry! It still gets raced..just not off road . I also would like it to maintain a nice resale value...

Comment

Originally posted by jay View Post
                          How you gonna keep from spitting tranny shrapnel over 3 counties the first time you hammer it with 500hp?
                          I want to know your secret for keeping that 320whp from desintegrating the drivetrain. I've seen a few interesting mods that have seemed to work pretty well, but nothing state side.
                          -'91 Festiva L
                          -'91 Pro AWD New Project

Comment

Originally posted by teqnyck View Post
                            I want to know your secret for keeping that 320whp from desintegrating the drivetrain. I've seen a few interesting mods that have seemed to work pretty well, but nothing state side.
                            x2
                            1990 Protege 4WD
                            GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
                            ├┼┤
                            2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

I never launch it, I use really good tranny fluid and change it often, I shift carefully, I use a fulldisc sprunghub clutch and so far I go through an average of about one gearbox every two years. Went almost 3 years without issues then blew 2 in a row...So far, stock halfshafts and a factory gpA rear end have proven to be able to take it.
                              I haven't decided yet what finally to do about the tranny though. GT4, Evo4, bandaid fixes for what's there, I dunno.
                              '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                              '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                              http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

well, I guess I'm wondering how it fails. Do the gears strip(third would be my guess), or are the gears walking up on eachother and cracking the case? I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to boost it at all. Maybe just get another BP and do some bolt ons?
                                -'91 Festiva L
                                -'91 Pro AWD New Project

Comment

Working...
                                X